Username Post: Thinking....        (Topic#1572527)
MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008

I'm thinking about getting into stamping as well as my other crafts (paper crafts, crocheting, knitting, sewing).

What are the essentials I need? Favorite inks? Wood mounted stamps or acrylic?

I've been looking at the products below, yay or nay for them?

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to MrsD2008

Hmmmm.... I cannot answer this question, but all I can tell you, from watching my friend who stamps, is that she has every color stamp ink there is. She has lots and lots of stamps and just bought a line that she needs to color in and these special pencils (that go on like markers but are pencils) to go with it.

Good luck. Have fun. And I cannot wait to see what you get and create.

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to scrappnmom2il

Never used the stamp press... I am not sure what the need is... maybe someone can clue me in.

I love cling/acrylic/clear stamps. You will need acrylic blocks to go with those. I have Fiskars set, but now i have some stamps that are too big for them. I now want the Tim holtz set... plan on getting it next week. I also recommend getting grids on the blocks.

When it comes to inks, there are a ton... not just color, but in what they do. Best bet is to start reading up on what they do.
This site helped me the best... http://www.artwithoutanxiety.com/inkinfo.html
I have a few chalk cat eyes, a versamark for embossing, lots a stampin up water based ink (my favorite), staz-on a permanent ink (use on wood, metal and other things, also works with water coloring) and distress inks (I think are water based too.)

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to Rushli

Oh, and I thought about the stamps...
I really love stamps that I can add background interest....

I also love stamps that have negative space that I can color in. Like the prima flower I added below and the Jenni Bowlin Alphabet. (Stamp with staz-on and color with prisma colored pencils and blend with gamsol. You can also color in with water colors, or markers.... there are just so many things you can do!)

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to Rushli

I *thought* the stamp press was for the acrylic stamps...place them on the grid and go. But maybe I'm wrong?

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to MrsD2008

I watched the video, and you are right.... I am very glad I did not pick up the tim holtz ones today and decided to get them next week instead, because I can now change my mind and get the stamp press! lol, thanks for sharing!!!!

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to Rushli

I like the idea of being able to see directly where you're stamp is going to go before pressing down! And being able to keep your stamp designs on the plate is very nice.

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to MrsD2008

i do enjoy the blocks i have. I can see through them and I have the technique down of how to line it up and stamp well, however when non-stampers visit and use a block they struggle.

Now I am trying to figure out if i want the one that covers a 4x6 area or a 6x8 area.

JustJenScraps
Idol
JustJenScraps
In response to Rushli

I love stamping! A lot of stamping has to do with preference. Acrylic and cling stamps take up less room but you need blocks to stick them to. Wood are nice because you can just ink and stamp but they take up space.

I would suggest for inks, get your basic black and brown. You can color in from there with markers. Copics are popular but expensive. Stampin Up! has a great variety. You can also watercolor pencil or chalk your images. Again, its all preference.

Do you know what you are going to make with your stamps? Cards, embellishments... Knowing that would also help in figuring out what basics to purchase.

robmab
robmab 
Resident
robmab
In response to JustJenScraps

I tend to prefer acrylic stamps, but I do have a few of the cling-mounted style that I like. To me, it depends on the design and whether it fits with the style of the pages/cards I make.

My advice: don't skimp on cheap stamps or inks. You will be much happier with the results if you get good quality. I've ruined so many projects because I used a stamp that didn't leave a nice clean mark.

Also, you might want to check out the new eBook from Ella Publishing -- Stamping Secrets. It would be a great way to learn some basic techniques and find some ideas to get you started. (Oh, and there's a coupon code right now: SECRETSTAMPER for 15% off.)

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie
In response to robmab

i do not like TH blocks. They are very hard for me to pick up being so thin. I do love the Fiskar press, Id say that IS the best choice for a starter one.

IMO, stamps accrylic and wood (rubber) are nice. To be honest i have a large variety of stamps, brands & types and Ive not had a problem with any (except one set of TH tore when I was trying to use it) but the company made it right ...

As far as ink's Id say you need black or brown Staz-on for starting offers a nice crisp straight image.

Have fun! Do lots of youtube & web (google) searching for ideas, tips, brands ect.

Diane 6169
New Kid On the Block
Diane 6169
In response to Sassie

to original poster: I am getting out of stamping (not enough time to do it and scrap) If you were interested I would make you a great deal. I have alot of stamps, inks, etc.

KellyLeigh
Idol
KellyLeigh
In response to Diane 6169

I would recommend:

a good cardstock in white and off white (I use Gina K Pure Luxury)

archival quality ink (Memento inks are my fav). You will need black and brown for sure in full size ink pads

then you can either invest in (1) multiple colors of the smaller ink pads, or (2) a set of markers that you can use to color directly onto your stamps (like Marvy Uchida LePlume markers which you can buy anywhere with a 40% off coupon) to use in place of the colored inks. Eventually you will want both, but could easilly start with just the markers.

As far as the stamps themselves go, I prefer the clear acrylic stamps mostly because they are easy to store and take to crops.

You will need multiple size acrylic blocks. Get the biggest block you can find and 2 or 3 other sizes.

I recommend picking up a magazine or idea book by Someset Studio

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to KellyLeigh

Personally, I'm addicted to wood mounted stamps. I rarely (if ever) use the acrylic ones I have. I suppose I should just sell them. I agree with using a good quality ink. And when in doubt, stamp on a plain piece of cardstock first to make sure you have a stamp and ink that are going to give you a good impression. And when you first get your stamps, "rough over" them with an eraser to take off the film.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics