Username Post: First Attempt @ Cardmaking        (Topic#1572697)
GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30

This is my first attempt at making a card, obviously I messed up on the stamping ...What do you think? What would you do? What would you add? As for the inside, do you add a piece of pp with a sentiment, another stamp maybe?? Please share your constructive thoughts....It will help me to learn and create better things....Thanks!

Think Spring By GIGIGI30

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to GIGIGI30

When you're just starting out, sometimes it's easier to stamp on one item and then attach that to the card instead of trying to stamp on the card directly. That way, if you mess up, you can just stamp on another item instead of throwing away the card or having to cover it up.
For example, I usually do cards with layers. On this card, I stamped on the yellow paper, cut it to size and then adhered it to the rest of the card base.
Heat Embossed Lily of the Valley By Here Kitty

I think your card is cute! Great job It's really up to you if you want to decorate the inside. Many people do and there are those that don't - it depends on what you want to DO with the card. I usually mat with a different color inside and add a sentiment and/or design.
Sometimes it's just a tiny bit, sometimes it's a lot like on this card I stamped below:
Inside of my Doily card By Here Kitty

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Here Kitty

Awww Amy, thank you very much for you sweet comment!

Great info/suggestion there and btw, went to peek into your gallery and your cards are awesome!!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to GIGIGI30

Thank you
Make sure you share your new creations so we can all see them!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Here Kitty

I have a rule (that I often break, but whenever I break it, I regret it!)

NO STAMPING ON A FINISHED PIECE LOL

that means I stamp BEFORE I do all the work,,,,,so if it's messed up, I can try again,,,

or I stamp on a piece of paper, cut it out and adhere it like Amy said.

and for a first card, yours are beautiful. Should have seen mine,,,,,ugliest thing in the world. LOL, I feel bad for the person who got it!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

For sentiments, I use sentiment stamps (fiskars sells sets that are nice to start with for reasonable prices and you can use a coupon) OR I print it out on the computer!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I use the sentiments stamps too and ALWAYS stamp on a separate piece that I then put on the card ... learned THAT lesson the hard way

Expert
In response to madmatter

Well I'm glad to hear that you all make mistakes...I do things over and over until it's passable..lol...

Margie Calenda
Tenant
Margie Calenda
In response to GIGIGI30

It's very pretty! I sometimes like to stamp my sentiment on a tag, for fear of messing it up on my finished card. But with practice, I've gotten better at it and can usually pull of a decent stamp directly on the card. If I mess up, then I restamp it on a tag and just cover it up. For the inside of the card, I usually use one or two layers of coordinating card stock, as mats, and then use a stamped sentiment or print one out on the computer on white card stock. I think you did a fabulous job on your first card!

Sharon64
Resident
Sharon64
In response to Margie Calenda

Great card, nice colours and well balanced

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to Sharon64

Thank you everyone for the love

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to GIGIGI30

Great card for a newbie! I am also a newbie and have some VALUABLE advice. Twice I have finished a card and been so stoked...and then as I pat myself on the shoulder, to my horror I see that I have smudged the card with an ink stained finger.
ALWAYS have baby wipes or paper towels nearby and wipe before you touch!

I just did my first Washi Tape card and I am loving how easy it was. It's in my gallery and on my blog.

Veteran
In response to theellenbee

Wow,great card

bkaradzhova
New Kid On the Block
bkaradzhova
In response to Noelles mom

It's really pretty and elegant. Maybe a few more embellishments like some ribbon or brads could fill up the empty space

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to bkaradzhova

It's a nice card! You could punch out something that is bigger than the stamped message and glue it over the message. There aren't mistakes in card making.... just opportunities for embellishments.

bashfulscrapper
Idol
bashfulscrapper
In response to pinkpaperairedale

• pinkpaperairedale Said:
It's a nice card! You could punch out something that is bigger than the stamped message and glue it over the message. There aren't mistakes in card making.... just opportunities for embellishments.

I totally agree with this - there are no mistakes, just opportunities. I'm a pretty new card-maker myself, but what I'm finding is that some of my favorite cards started out terribly. They ended up my favorites because of the changes I made when trying to fix mistakes.

In addition to stamping my sentiments on separate paper and adding them later - or doing this to cover up a mistake - I have also gone back over a stamped sentiment with a similarly colored thin-tipped marker (if the font isn't too fancy) and "touched it up". This is easiest with black, and it doesn't always work as well as I'd like, but sometimes it turns out better. I especially like to do this with Souffle or Glaze pens, and a simple, "blocky" font.

I'm getting MUCH better at getting a good, stamped image, but mistakes still happen. (One of the best reasons to print the sentiment on a separate piece of paper and adhere it - as well as adding a nice element to the card - is that often my background cardstock isn't the best for getting a clean stamped image.)

But as others said, this is a beautiful card just the way it is - and WAY nice than my first attempt.

golden1
Resident
golden1
In response to bashfulscrapper

your "first" card is very pretty. i love butterflies. i make a lot of mistakes when stamping and i am guaranteed to get ink on a place where is didn't intend for ink to go. lol. but to ensure the image comes out perfectly, i stamp on a foam pad. i can't think of the name of it, but it's a blue 12 x 12 pad that evens out the surface (?) and makes the entire image be stamped evenly. HTH

pwiswell
Veteran
pwiswell

I learned this the hard way when I started making cards. Now, I either stamp on another piece of cardstock and adhere it to my card, or stamp first. I've ruined to many cards doing it the other way.

meela
meela 
Resident
meela
  • meela on 04-29-12 05:13 PM
In response to pwiswell

I am sure every one of us has a little goof on our cards at some point. I like the saying not mistakes, but opportunities for embellishments. Good one! Great job on your first card, you are going to be a natural. Have fun!

charmingliltrinkets
New Kid On the Block
charmingliltrinkets
In response to meela

Everyone has given you great advice, I can't really think of anything to add. Great job for your first card.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics