Username Post: "Wasting" Paper        (Topic#1572753)
ItsPronounced_Abear
Tenant
ItsPronounced_Abear

Hi All, I'm new to the forums and have only done a little scrapbooking in the past. I'm trying to make my skills a little more sophitocated before I begin my wedding scrapbook so I've been on the site a lot lately.

So here's my question. I see a lot of layouts in the gallery that have layer upon layer upon layer of backgrounds/frames/mats, etc. It seems like an awful lot of paper to waste by covering it up and never seeing it again, especially for expensive patterned paper. I was wondering if there's a down side to cutting out the center of the paper that won't be seen and reusing it elsewhere?
Thanks!

Melonhead
Tenant
Melonhead
In response to ItsPronounced_Abear

I've never done it, but I've heard if you have a bunch of layers and take out the centers that it could cave in a little.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Melonhead

I often cut out the center if i'm just using the paper for matting. I've been doing this for awhile and haven't noticed a downside or any caving.

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to runzalot81

When ever possible I always cut as close to one side of the paper so I can use what ever is left for scraps on another layout. I don't look at it as wasting. As far as caving in- I have used tons of layers on a few layouts and never had any caving issues.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama

We've had threads about how to stretch your scrapping dollars. There are a lot of people who do that. I do not always do it, depends on the paper but I am working on a LO right now that I will save a large chunk of cardstock of the page on the back that you only see the border. It's paper I am sure I can use elsewhere. Thinner printed paper that I don't forsee a need to keep, I don't usually.

krazy4kardz
Governor
krazy4kardz
In response to CrimsonMama

When I'm using pricey patterned paper or a specialty card stock I will cut the middle section out and then use a similar thickness like plain copy paper or white card stock to fill in the empty space so all the layers are the same depth. It takes a bit longer but if you're trying to stretch your supplies it is an ideal solution.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to krazy4kardz

i cut out the middle all the time. i've never had an issue with caving. here is one that had a lot of middle layers cut out.

http://afternoonscrapper.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-time-p...

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Lamoo12

I cut out the middle of cs all the time when I use it as a base and only the outer edge will show ... then I use that paper to mat my photos.

Once it's in a page protector, it's just as sturdy as any other LO

ItsPronounced_Abear
Tenant
ItsPronounced_Abear
In response to Lamoo12

Oh my gosh. I never thought to use my paper trimmer to cut out the middle! The few times I've done it, I always just genlty bent the paper and used scissors freehand. What a great idea!!
Glad to see I'm not crazy for trying to save paper this way.

mariangeles_spain
Idol
mariangeles_spain

I do it some times, even when I mat photos in pretty paper

beebuzz
Diva
beebuzz
In response to Melonhead

Cutting the center of papers?? Never heard of that!!

Im joking... I often do it, and its a great way to have matching PPs for the facing page

Inloveforlife
Veteran
Inloveforlife
In response to beebuzz

I do it sometimes. But mainly I can never cut out my paper that I love so they just stay in my stash. I shouldn't do this though I have enough paper for 4 people to scrapbook for the rest of there life, yet I keep buying more.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Inloveforlife

I also hate to cut up paper that I love or use it.

HOwever, when I die one of my best friend's daughters gets all my scrappy stuff and tools and machines and stash. And she will use it.

Knowing that makes me willing to use my good stuff.

reneeann
Veteran
reneeann
In response to Henri Jean

Sometimes we get so busy matting and layering,and embellishing that we forget that we bought the paper because it was so pretty or beautiful. It is okay to go simple and show the paper that we love.

Veteran
In response to reneeann

Great question. I feel soooo ad when my pretty paper is hidden away behind layers......

Veteran
In response to Noelles mom

Great question. I feel soooo sad when my pretty paper is hidden away behind layers......

DaNel Hicks
Diva
DaNel Hicks
In response to Noelles mom

Family By DaNel Hicks

I cut the middles out of the two under layers on the left and the 3 under layers on the right of this layout

meela
meela 
Resident
meela
  • meela on 04-29-12 05:29 PM
In response to DaNel Hicks

I do it all the time. I love to layer, so why waste all that perfectly good paper? It is really helpful when doing two page layouts, you can use what you cut out to accent the second page, or to mat things. It also comes in handy for card making. I use my paper trimmer to do so too. Usually I lay things out (don't glue anything down), then take the bottom few layers and trim out the portion that will be covered. I leave about 1/2" of space and trim the rest away. That way if I have to move something a smidge I have room to do so.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Lamoo12

• Lamoo12 Said:
i cut out the middle all the time. i've never had an issue with caving. here is one that had a lot of middle layers cut out.

http://afternoonscrapper.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-time-p...

Such a great link to show us how its done. I would have never thought of doing that to save paper(I'm very new to the sport). Thanks for the link.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics