Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: When do you toss a scrap?        (Topic#1572993)
LesleyC
Diva
LesleyC

I know there are tons of things you can do with scraps, but when (or, how small) is it ok to let go? My scraps are getting out of control. Perhaps I should make some cards.

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to LesleyC

i don't ever let go! lol, i have old pickle jars that i put any small unusable scraps in according to color and once i get a good collection I am going to make paper. I have not tried it yet, but i have read a bit and it seems workable.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to Rushli

Cards are great scrap-user-uppers! I keep my scraps by size (S,M,L) in IRIS cases, and I don't keep any scrap that's too small to punch. Of course, I AM overwhelmed by small scraps now but it hurts too much to purge!!

carbphrek
Idol
carbphrek
In response to Rushli

When I'm tired of looking at it or I keep passing it by for other scraps. I get hand-me down scraps from about 7 other scrappers, some scraps are not my style so I pass them down to my boys bins.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 03-28-12 09:44 AM
In response to Rushli

• Rushli Said:
i don't ever let go! lol, i have old pickle jars that i put any small unusable scraps in according to color and once i get a good collection I am going to make paper. I have not tried it yet, but i have read a bit and it seems workable.

That is a great idea! I have been wanting to make paper for at least 15 years- have books etc about it...and boy do I have lots of little scraps.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to GMFTS

If it cannot be made into a 4X6 mat or a 1x12 strip it goes in the trash. From past experiences, I know I will not use them. I cut all of my scraps into mats and keep them in a flat box that I can see easily. I use them up that way.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Rushli

• Rushli Said:

Ditto! I don't have the little pieces in pickle jars, but I do have them in a bag to make paper with someday.

I can use even a 1x1 piece for cricut cuts with the help of a little painters tape. Why cut into a 12x12 when all I need is a .5 x .5?

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 03-28-12 10:59 AM
In response to pugs223

I have a cuttlebug, which is the most awesome thing ever for using scraps. I can use a scrap the size of my thumbnail to cut a letter as part of a title.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to pugs223

I make flowers, banner pieces, cut squares or punch circles with scraps.

I need to remember to look thru my scraps before I start cutting little strips of paper for layouts/cards.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to J-M

Yep, I keep tiny scraps, they're often put to good use in my Sizzix machine.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to aquabunny

I'm afraid I'm pretty wasteful....I keep pieces big enough to use as a mat or big enough to die cut/punch, maybe 3 or 4 inches...toss everything else. It goes into our shredder and gets recycled, though!
I just can't be bothered to keep every tiny little piece. A cluttered space bothers me more than throwing stuff away....big organizer here!

I made paper with my son at the Toronto Science Centre last winter....it is a lot of fun. In fact, I kept the piece of paper we made and am going to use it in a LO....
Alison

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to kiyawinn

I have a hard time throwing away anything lol. Im not the best person to ask.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Mia1979

I tend to be more on the wasteful side. I have a bin of scraps - its about 2' tall and its nearly full so I don't need to keep tiny pieces.

I think 4 x 6 is about the minimum for me.

The bin gets full every year and I find someone to give it to and then I start over. I know a lot of cardmakers and they love to get these scraps.

Since I moved the bin under my scrap desk I am using them more. Mostly I use them with my Slice for letters or to make mats.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Henri Jean

I throw out anything I can't cut into a 2x2 piece.

Sonsie
Sonsie 
Pro
Sonsie
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I used to be very frugal but the scraps piled up so fast I had to start culling out the small stuff. I don't make a lot of cards so if it's smaller than say 4 x 6 it's history unless it's very special paper.

However I just got this button punch that embosses so I must just start punching out all my smaller scraps and saving the "buttons".
Marvy Uchida - Clever Lever Craft Punch - Silhouette and Embossing - Buttons - .75 Inch and 1 Inch

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sonsie

That button punch is adorable! I could keep a jar with an assortment of button styles and colors if I had that punch!

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to Sonsie

just added to my wish list! TFS

mj scrappin'
Veteran
mj scrappin'
In response to Rushli

I am so glad you asked this question! So many great responses and I am glad to know I am not alone wondering what and how to save these little leftovers!

JustJenScraps
Idol
JustJenScraps
In response to mj scrappin'

2x2 is my smallest. When the scrap drawer is full, I work on cutting diecuts and making cards. Then I work on filling up the drawer again!

SQ Mandi
Angel
SQ Mandi
In response to JustJenScraps

I keep them as small as 1x1 (because I use them for inchies lol)

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics