Username Post: Does anyone sell stamps?        (Topic#1573023)
ashley_brown
New Kid On the Block
ashley_brown

Not the stamp itself, But Stamp images unto cardstock and sell them?

I like the images, but I can't afford to buy all the stamps. So I was wondering if anyone sold them?

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to ashley_brown

I don't think so, because I'm pretty sure that's illegal according to most stamp companies' angel policy.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to kelseymel

This is illegal

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

Have you considered buying digi stamps?? MUCH cheaper (usually 2-4 dollars per stamp) and can be re-sized for whatever size you need!

(it's also illegal to share/resell digital stamps!)

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing

I am sure you could find people who would be willing to trade stamped images. I don't think trading would be illegal. There may be a swap for it already.

I would be interesting in trading stamped images.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to ktmracing

Some companies may allow it, but you would have to contact them to find out.

Here is some info from the swap forum:
http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15532...

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to kelseymel

a Swap with images would be a fun event

ashley_brown
New Kid On the Block
ashley_brown
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Oh it is illegal. I didn't know that.

armygirl
Diva
armygirl

It gets pretty complicated with each of the company rules.

Edited by armygirl on 03-31-12 09:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing
In response to armygirl

I have to honestly say, I think a company that doesn't allow swapping images isn't being fair. I understand they need to make money but I see it this way...

If I am in a stamped image swap and get ten images back for example, I may really like one or more of those images so much I will buy the stamp so I am not limited in using it just the one time.

To me a swap is a way companies can gain free exposure.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to ktmracing

Selling handstamped images is allowed by some companies, as long as it is induvidually handstamped, not photocopied. But you do have to check with the company's policy about this. Some allow this and others dont. So make sure to check first!

Me personally, am very much into Magnolia stamps and some of their stamps I do like, but I know I wont use often. I then buy handstamped images. Sometimes I buy an image and then find out I use it more than anticipated. I end up buying the stamp itself anyways.

I feel there is nothing wrong with selling/trading handstamped images, most hardcore stampers want the original stamp/image anyways. And also, when yer swapping, you get known with all the different kind of stamps.... Thats how I feel. Me personally really loathe digi stamps cause I can never get the right ink to print with that doesnt fade into the colour I am using with me pencils or copic markers. So at all times, I prefer handstamped images, whether it is by meself or someone else.

armygirl
Diva
armygirl
In response to ktmracing

• ktmracing Said:
I have to honestly say, I think a company that doesn't allow swapping images isn't being fair. I understand they need to make money but I see it this way...

If I am in a stamped image swap and get ten images back for example, I may really like one or more of those images so much I will buy the stamp so I am not limited in using it just the one time.

I agree with this, If I like a stamped image I can ask who makes it and then buy it so I can use it more than once.

New Kid On the Block

You might consider digital images. You can get hundreds of free images online ... just google free digital scrapbooking.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to armygirl

• armygirl Said:
  • ktmracing Said:

I agree with this, If I like a stamped image I can ask who makes it and then buy it so I can use it more than once.

swapping is also illegal,,,,,,,I understand you see it that way, but the fact remains that it's up to the company or not whether thy want this "free advertising" or not.

when you purchase a stamp, you purchase a LIMITED license,,,,,,the artist retains the RIGHTS to the image itself.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I honestly don't want to be a wet blanket,,,,,,

I just don't want anyone to get in trouble.

People CAN and ARE prosecuted for swapping, selling, trading, conducting swaps, etc.

Is a stamped image worth the legal costs? It wouldn't be for me.

Also, if you ASK, sometimes the artist will say YES. I did ask an artist once for permission to share some digi stamps, and the answer was YES.

armygirl
Diva
armygirl

Some of the ladies in the swap we are now finishing called up the stamp companies and got the Ok from them to swap as long as we are not selling the stamped image or reproducing it by the hundreds and making money. Each company has its own angel policy. There were also a few companies that said it was not allowed to swap out thier images, But you are allowed to share with others at a crop or at a get together.
It gets pretty complicated with each of the company rules.

The ladies on the swap we are finishing contacted Stampin up, CTMH, Stampabilites, Ek success and a few other Stamp companies and all said we were ok to swap. There were e-mails posted and it was from the companies cutomer service. Megan told us to make sure we got the ok and not to use any company that didn't allow this, she said as long as the companies said it was ok with their Angel Policy, we could go ahead with our swap.

We are not Photo copying or stamping hundreds of images or even making any money off of the image.

It's like if I go to a crop and the lady next to me asks if she can borrow a rubber stamp she likes, I would probably say yes.

armygirl
Diva
armygirl
In response to armygirl

The issue was brought up in our swap as to what was considered to be ok and what was illegal,,,For this same reason, a few of the ladies sent out E-mails to the companies to get the OK form them. We didn't start our swap untill we had the OK from the Stamp Companies. Unity stamp company was one that told us it was not OK.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to armygirl

I'd say you were good to go then My post was pretty much for people who had no clue that you needed to ask. You'd be surprised how many people DON'T know that. I wouldn't have known it when I was a newbie, that's for sure!

armygirl
Diva
armygirl

In the beginning I didnt know that there were such things as angel policies either. I have learned a few things on this site.

Margie Calenda
Tenant
Margie Calenda

Illegal and highly frowned upon. But you can find some really nice digis for a fraction of the cost of rubber. They're much more versatile too...You can make them any size you want.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Margie Calenda

I love digis! but don't make the mistake of thinking you can share or swap those without permission either

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing

• CommaHolly Said:
I honestly don't want to be a wet blanket,,,,,,

I just don't want anyone to get in trouble.

People CAN and ARE prosecuted for swapping, selling, trading, conducting swaps, etc.

Is a stamped image worth the legal costs? It wouldn't be for me.

Also, if you ASK, sometimes the artist will say YES. I did ask an artist once for permission to share some digi stamps, and the answer was YES.

No, Holly you do share great info with this. It still irks me that a stamping company would ever frown on a swap.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ktmracing

I understand the frustration. Unfortunately, regular people who swap a few images have paid for the many who have done far worse,,,,,like scan stamps and put them all on a CD for sale,,,,,,,there's good reason for copyright. If you ever produce original art or a work that you profit from, you might be very happy those laws exist.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

For example,,,,,,,,not long ago, I saw the complete set of Hanglar Stanglar stamps (popular in Europe and VERY hard to get here and EXPENSIVE when you can find them)that someone had stamped, scanned and burned to a CD for sale on Ebay (the UK version).

Why spend 25 bucks a stamp and let the artist pay her bills when you can get the ENTIRE set for 15 bucks plus shipping and handling?????

EBAY in the US doesn't allow those images to be sold,,,,,unfortunately, some countries don't honor the international laws on this. So who pays the price?? Regular joes who want to share a single image with a friend.

Edited by CommaHolly on 04-09-12 06:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

chocolateaxel
Mayor
chocolateaxel

Funny, there have been several swaps on this very site where they swapped stamped images. I guess someone needs to call the stamp police on sb.com

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to chocolateaxel

I know. And they are illegal. I'm not the stamp police, and I won't be telling anyone. I'm just stating the facts of the law. This isn't my OPINION. It's fact. People can choose to obey the law or not obey it. Not my problem.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne

I totally get you Holly, I can see it your way and the way of the Stamp Company aswell. It's just all very innuendo-ish cause even on the Magnolia's package it says and I quote: "Angel Policy, magnolia is an Angel company! We allow our images to be used on items for resale as long as everything is hand stamped and hand coloured. Please do not reproduce any of our images electronically or mechanically, by means of computer or copy machines. Updates and more info can be found at our web site." This clearly says it is ok to sell, trade, swap ect as long as it is hand stamped and hand coloured. I do buy hand stamped Magnolia images of the web when it is a stamp that I do like but not gonna use much. I like to have just a few stamped, sometimes I end up liking the image a lot and buy the stamp anyways.

I find this subject very innuendo-ish... I know there are many different opinions on this subject aswell. It's not correct to attack anyone for their opinion on this (talking in general). I do know there are lots of companies who do not allow this at all. And it's good to warn others about procecution chances n stuff. But I also find that some companies need to be very clear about this. Like Magnolia, they are quite clear but many aren't. That would help us tremendously.

In the meantime, happy stamping everyone!

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne

Stamp Police, just image the uniform Holly! It'll give some good times

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to TheCharmedOne

I agree that the wording could be much better.
and I agree, you probably COULD trade hand stamped AND COLORED images,,,,,,,but nobody sells colored images,,,,they all sell and/or swap UNCOLORED stamped images.

I wonder if the Stamp Police get as many free stamps as they want

Edited by CommaHolly on 04-10-12 08:02 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

and I just wanted to say that I don't mean to sound like the stamp police,,,,,,or miss goody two shoes. I only know because *I* have swapped stamped images myself, and someone told me about the law. I had no clue before then,,,,,,and I certainly had no intentions of breaking the law! It's a hard position to understand, for us crafters, I think.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

You don't sound that way at all, Holly.

I caught the tail end of the most recent upheaval here at sb.com regarding trading stamped images, so I did a lot of reading on the subject.

It's information that every stamper/crafter should look into before they attempt a trade/swap.

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing
In response to kelseymel

This topic interests me and I did some independent reading online about it. I have seen that the problem with a seemingly innocent stamped image swap is many will photocopy the images for multiple uses. Or the will scan them onto a computer for lifetime use.

So, in the instance a company frowns on swaps, it most likely has to do with the bad apples that turn it into a true copyright infringement.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ktmracing

EXACTLY.

which is why most of them have no problem with a friend coming over to scrap, using your stamp and coloring it for a card they are making. But swapping isn't allowed.

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie

holly HOLLY - i had no idea selling an individual stamp would be illegal .... I guess alot of ppl dont know, or dont care because on other sites there are lots of ppl that sell 2 or 3 images from a set they wont use.

I guess in my eyes, if I buy a set of stamps but wont ever use 1 or 2 I should have the right to sell it, since I bought it? *Shrugs* wow, id MAD to be arrested for something I truly didnt know was illegal LoL!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Sassie

wait wait,,,,,,

you can sell the physical STAMP. What you can NOT sell is the stamped IMAGE. You can not stamp the stamp on paper 20 times and sell that for 5 dollars,,,,,,for example.

you CAN sell any stamp, new or used that you don't want.

Edited by CommaHolly on 04-14-12 11:14 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

golden1
Resident
golden1
In response to Margie Calenda

I bought my best stamps for $1. michael's has a great collection of $1 stamps and so does joann's. you can also check out free digital stamps online and find some great images. lately that's been my best option...
if you stick to the $1 section for a lot of stuff, as well as use free images from the web.....you'll be able to create some really nice cards.
HTH

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to golden1

Here's a question - maybe Holly or someone can answer. If I purchase a stamp, then stamp the image, scan it and put it onto my computer so that I can then print it in a different size, is that illegal? I've bought it, and it would be for my own use only. What do you think?

krazy4kardz
Governor
krazy4kardz
In response to RedSquirrel

It would be an angel policy violation according to the majority of stamp companies terms of use...but I suggest you check each company's website for more info. Hope this helps.

pjangel
Diva
pjangel
In response to krazy4kardz

Okay how about this. It's her birthday and I just stamped a few images and gave them as a present because thats all I could afford to do? this way I am not selling I am giving them to her.

krazy4kardz
Governor
krazy4kardz
In response to pjangel

Mostly likely not acceptable...because they are just the "black lined" stamped image...unfinished so to speak.

krazy4kardz
Governor
krazy4kardz

• CommaHolly Said:
wait wait,,,,,,

you can sell the physical STAMP. What you can NOT sell is the stamped IMAGE. You can not stamp the stamp on paper 20 times and sell that for 5 dollars,,,,,,for example.

Not really...there are companies that stipulate that their stamps only be sold by authorized dealer/retailers thus prohibiting/forbidding the re-sale of them by anyone that is not authorized to do so. Abracadabra and Elisabeth Bell are two such companies.

armygirl
Diva
armygirl

• krazy4kardz Said:
  • CommaHolly Said:
wait wait,,,,,,

Not really...there are companies that stipulate that their stamps only be sold by authorized dealer/retailers thus prohibiting/forbidding the re-sale of them by anyone that is not authorized to do so. Abracadabra and Elisabeth Bell are two such companies.

So why do many people sell their rubber stamps at some yard sales/ garage sales. Are these people doing something illegal? Every company has their own rules and Angel policy, It gets so confusing.

krazy4kardz
Governor
krazy4kardz
In response to armygirl

Because they most likely don't know about angel policies. So yes, technically if the stamps are from companies that forbid their re-sale they are being sold illegally.

I'm sure I'm gonna be struck down by a bolt of lightning and be bombarded by a bazillion heated comments but I personally think angel policies are a joke. Think of it like this...so you buy a pair of Levi's and then you find out that you can only wear them on Tuesdays with a blue polka-dotted shirt and you have to wash them with Tide in cold water and hang them up to dry...crazy huh?

golden1
Resident
golden1

ditto what she said....that's a joke.....way too technical for me!! but what she said is the bottom line.....a joke!!
  • krazy4kardz Said:
Because they most likely don't know about angel policies. So yes, technically if the stamps are from companies that forbid their re-sale they are being sold illegally.

I'm sure I'm gonna be struck down by a bolt of lightning and be bombarded by a bazillion heated comments but I personally think angel policies are a joke. Think of it like this...so you buy a pair of Levi's and then you find out that you can only wear them on Tuesdays with a blue polka-dotted shirt and you have to wash them with Tide in cold water and hang them up to dry...crazy huh?

armygirl
Diva
armygirl
In response to golden1

I love all or mostly all of my rubber stamps, and I let my friends borrow them all the time. If they go home and stamp tons of images on their white paper, good for them. At least my stamp is getting used and loved. I payed good money for it so let it be used to the fullest. And yes some angel policies and stamp companies are crazy. LOL

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics