Username Post: April Feeling French Challenge **PM me your votes**        (Topic#1573145)
MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to newtoscrapping2011

What a sweet gesture Courtney!

Got my page mostly done, but am now stumped, hopefully inspiration will hit soon!

SonjaC
SonjaC 
Governor
SonjaC
In response to MrsAnnieS

That's awesome Courtney! Wish I had an idea here, but I'm sort of stumped... Maybe a goodie will help jog my brain!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to SonjaC

Well, I have a plan, but it's kind of a weird plan.

I have a picture of an Osage Orange tree, which I took at the Dallas Gardens a couple of weeks ago. Around here, they're known as Bodark trees. They're indigenous to this region, so they are fairly common.

These trees were favored by the Native Americans for constructing their bows, and they would travel long distances to find this particular tree. The wood is hard and strong, and practically impervious to rot. They make GREAT fence posts - they just last forever. The bugs won't eat them, and even when the tree dies, the wood just refuses to rot.

Oklahoma was part of the Louisiana Territory - we were settled by the French, believe it or not. Well, when the French explorers observed the native people constructing their bows from these trees, they gave it the name, "Bois D'arc" (bwah DARK) which means "wood of the bow." Later, settlers cobbled it down to Bodark (BOWdark).

So I have a photo, I have a plan, I even have a sketch.

What I don't have is a collection of French product. I pretty much used up my stash on my last project...

Any ideas from the Peanut Gallery?

(Listening to the chirping of the crickets...)

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy
In response to GentlewoodFarms

make some! You don't need to use french papers per say - do you have something you can make a fleur de lis with - if so cut some out (or punch some out) - lay them on a background piece of cardstock and mist or ink - make your own background!

newtoscrapping2011
Diva
newtoscrapping2011
In response to Ladybing Tammy

Tammy you beat me to it. Well actually my first response was going to be to go shopping!!! Lol. But then I thought make some.

Use stamps and inks. It just has to have 3 of the elements. Not necessarily French papers.

Love the idea pat!! Great story and I learned something!!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms

Mist? MIST? Are you KIDDING? I don't mist! I make a big MESS with mist!

Only THREE elements? Then I think I've got that covered. I was thinking I have to have one of everything!

I have some fleur de lis buttons and some ribbon too, so that with my title and I'm good to go, right? I don't HAVE to use French paper?

I guess it would help if I went and reviewed the challenge specs, huh?

Ok. I'm using a french word or phrase, a fleur de lis, and french blue (if I can find it in my mile high paper stash!).

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy

woohoo Pat!

newtoscrapping2011
Diva
newtoscrapping2011

LOL Pat....you need a misting box....i would die without my mists...i never leave home without them LOL

Yes you only need 3 elements....silly LOL...

Let me just double check that I listed that up there! LOL

Dawna.s Place
Mayor
Dawna.s Place

Good Morning Ladies,

Just getting back from vacation and I'm afraid I'm trying to catch up with life! Only four pages to catch up here, phew!!!

Pat...Congrats on the fantastic winning lo!!!
Dollscrap...left you some gallery luv on your beautiful creation!
Courtney...I'm thinking on this one, but may wind up 'snooping' this thread this month! Just depends if I get an inspiration and can carve out some scrappy time for myself this month.
Ladies...It was nice to catch up with the other ladies I didn't comment on too!

My littlest daughter, Ashley age 22, is flying the coop this month and she's recruited her Dad and I to help her with her IKEA shopping and putting together of new furniture! So I've got such mixed feelings at the moment. Very excited for her on the one hand, and scared for her on the other. I'll miss her terribly, but she'll be near by so that will help. She's moving in with another young couple that are college students. Bitter sweet news for me...sniff, sniff, sniff!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Dawna.s Place

I stocked up on flowers and things at Archivers before I clocked in yesterday and I'm ready to finish! I even found this great dress form to use on my page-until I remembered dress forms was last month no tthis month!

So my question for our fearless leader-do french beverages of an alcoholic nature count as 'food' or is that too much of a stretch?

newtoscrapping2011
Diva
newtoscrapping2011
In response to MrsAnnieS

Well you can still include the dress form if you would like...

And yes I would say that a french drink counts as food...I am very liberal with the interpretation. If you can explain how you interpreted the ingredient, I will accept it...

Have fun!! Cant wait to see!!

parisdame
Diva
parisdame

just checking in....

joydee1963
Mayor
joydee1963
In response to parisdame

I didn't read rules very well,I didn't notice the 3 things,But no problem,Joy

SonjaC
SonjaC 
Governor
SonjaC
In response to parisdame

Pat - that's such a unique idea!! What a cool story and I can't wait to see what you do with it!

I agree, make 'em! But it sounds like you're covered. And I finally made a misting box out of an old moving box and it's soooooo great!

I too was struggling with the French items... used my only Eifle Tower last month.. have some fleur de lis to use, but was stumped on the beret and french word. Then I remembered... DUH... one of our favorite restaurants to go to with my in-laws is this french place on Sunset, it has a name, but none of us can remember or pronounce it so we just affectionately call it 'The French Restaurant'. Their menu is in French, which makes it easier for my in-laws to read since French and Spanish have lots of similarities. AND I remembered that DH's step-dad looooves to wear berets and I'm quite sure I have a picture of him in one there. (Did find one photo last night, but we're not at the French Restaurant! Aaah!) So I'll prob use the beret, word/phrase, blue and a fleur de lis or two.

Welcome back Dawna!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms
In response to SonjaC

Oh - I HAVE a misting box, but I still end up making a huge mess anytime I go to use my mists.

Don't get me wrong. I USE them. I just make a big mess, so I don't usually try to mist anything that needs to LOOK like anything when it's done.

I mist paper that I want to make flowers from, mist flowers that I've already finished and want a finally "touch of shimmer" on, mist cardstock that needs a color.

But mist and mask? The technique escapes me. I've tried it. I don't get great results. Someday when I have a whole lot of time and no looming projects, I plan to practice. In the meanwhile, my mists and I just kind of glare at each other. Well, they twinkle. I glare.

Ladybing Tammy
Queen
Ladybing Tammy

lol Pat - they twinkle! But I have to say I am with you on the messy part.

newtoscrapping2011
Diva
newtoscrapping2011

lol pat...I always end up so messy too when I mist...my hands look like I tie dyed an entire wardrobe LOL....but I don't care....i loves it!!!

Ladies dont stress about this challenge...you can totally figure it out....and next month I GUARANTEE I am going to be feeling something other than FRENCH!!! LOL Already have it going on in my head!!

GentlewoodFarms
Mayor
GentlewoodFarms

Hope it Italian!

Like pasta and tomato sauce and wine and opera and music boxes and ...

You know. Italian.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS

I finished mine this evening! I might try to get a better photo when it is nice out again, but it is supposed to be overcast the next few days, so for now here it is!

Nouveau By MrsAnnieS

SonjaC
SonjaC 
Governor
SonjaC
In response to MrsAnnieS

Super cute Annie!!
I have my idea, but I can't find the d*mned photo!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics