Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Precision scissors for a Lefty??        (Topic#1573311)
Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity

Good evening,
One of my dds really wants to get into scrapping. She tries and tries to use my Cutter Bees, but finds them frustrating because she's a Lefty. I read their promo piece and it states they are ambidextrous, but she just doesn't seem to like them. Are there any other Lefties out there that have success with a different brand/kind/make, and if so, which one(s) - TIA - M.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Momto3infinity

I'm not a lefty, however, my favorite pair of precision scissors cut the same no matter how I hold them. I don't think they have a "left" or "right" side.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

• Momto3infinity Said:
Good evening,
One of my dds really wants to get into scrapping. She tries and tries to use my Cutter Bees, but finds them frustrating because she's a Lefty. I read their promo piece and it states they are ambidextrous, but she just doesn't seem to like them. Are there any other Lefties out there that have success with a different brand/kind/make, and if so, which one(s) - TIA - M.

I have never had any luck with scissors that claim to be ambidextrous. Unfortunately I can't really help further with that, as I'm a lefty who cuts right-handed. Have you looked into any of the sellers of lefty-specific merchandise?

The Fiskars scissors linked above definitely look right-handed to me.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Check Fiskars, they do make some Left handed, not sure if they will have what you want. I would check with fabric stores.

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom
In response to CrimsonMama

The scissors Tim Holtz designed are easy to use and have soft grips to be used right or left handed and they have a micro tip for fussy cutting.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to MisasMom

The size and shape of the grips is not the only thing that determines whether scissors are left-handed, guys. That said, I do see multiple reviews for those Tim Holtz scissors that tout their usefulness for both left- and right-handed users. But contrary to even Jill's review, it's not the handles alone that make a scissor right- or left-handed - the placement of the blades matters too.

(My husband, father, three brothers, and myself are all left-handed to varying degrees - some of us can cut and play sports and do other activities right-handed and are left-handed mostly in writing, but some of them are left-handed in basically everything.)

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-03-12 07:59 AM
In response to MisasMom

I'm still looking for a great pair of left-handed paper-cutting scissors. "Ambidextrous" scissors are not really - the mechanics are simply different. And the visual is different, too, sometimes in order to better see what I'm doing I have to torque my hand in a way that isn't exactly ergonomic.

Mostly I use my lefty fabric scissors, but they're so big. One of these days I'm going to the big fabric store here and see if they have lefty embroidery scissors.

If CutterBee or Tonic ever came out with an actual left-handed pair, I'd probably by half a dozen of them, lol.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

THanks for the education - like so many, I thought it just had to do with the little handles or loops your fingers go through on the scissors.

My father was lefthanded for everything and I know it took a lot of effort to find things he could comfortably use.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 04-03-12 08:54 AM
In response to Henri Jean

I am a lefty, a very lefty lefty ...and the pink titanium Cutter Bees work beautifully for me. The blades are mirror images of each other so they work either handed-ly.

I am wondering if the issue is that your friend is using YOUR scissors and not a new pair.

Knives, veggie peelers etc that are used by a person of either handedness are 'ruined' for someone of the other handedness to use because the cutting motion dulls the blades differently.
I always keep two peelers around so the righty's can't get away with not helping out.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to GMFTS

Very interesting - never thought about that!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan

Mary you are so smart to have both peelers. LOL!
Stick and Aquabunny, thank you so much for explaining our left handed plight so well! I sometimes think even the manufacturers don't understand.

I am a lefty who is cutting challenged. In school I combatted it by turning them upside down, it wasn't the most comfortable but at least I could get them to work. I think a lot of people overlook the lack of visibility issue we have using right handed scissors.

I have had wonderful success with scissors listed below from We R memories. They are comfortable to use and do a great job cutting for me. I have looked at the blades and they seem to be equal on each side but I think they are still made for a righty. However due to the smaller size, I am able to have a better view of what I am cutting.

I think it is a good investment for your Daughter especially if still in elementary school to find a good quality scissor designed for lefties. The school scissors don't address the blade issue just the handle.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to jaxxan

Oh yeah, there is great shop in San Francisco that is dedicated to left handers. They are now on the web with a great selection of true left hander scissors. They mention Friskars, I am giving you the website as a "jumping off" place.

www.leftyslefthanded.com

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to jaxxan

I'm a lefty but cut righty. One year I had like 10 lefties in my class and the rit handed scissors were torture for them to use. I bought some lefty fiskars scissors (red handle) and labeled them as such. Happy students after that.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-04-12 08:05 PM
In response to Seaexplore

Jill, have you actually been to the Lefty's store?? I live in SF but I've never been there. I've seen it in google searches but I've always wondered if it's really worth trying to deal with parking - such an SF-oriented thought, lol.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

I remember seeing a lefty store in San Francisco. I think it was at Pier 39 on the wharf. Sure seems like that is where I saw it. I remember thinking how nice that would have been for my father - he struggled with everything.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

Sorry - duplicate post.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 04-05-12 06:29 AM

FROM Google: Lefty's at Pier 39

Also they have a shop in Boston...I never went to the shop but years ago they had a cart in Quincy Market that I used to get gifts for my sibs: out of 9 kids 5 are lefty and so is my dad.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to stick

• stick Said:
Jill, have you actually been to the Lefty's store?? I live in SF but I've never been there. I've seen it in google searches but I've always wondered if it's really worth trying to deal with parking - such an SF-oriented thought, lol.

I used to live in Fremont and have been to the lefty stoe several times. Not worth it. I never bought anything there. It's like a novelty shop really.

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to stick

Yes, Stick, I have been to the one on Pier 39 and it looks like the store has more selection on-line! On one of my visits a few years ago I talked to the owner and they gave me a sense of quality. They were very careful as to what they put in the store and it being "true" lefty.

Now I don't know if that has changed in subsequent years but, until I have had a bad experience with them I will still think of them as very trustworthy company. I will say due to their location they are probably a little more pricey.

However, in my quest for left handed product through the years I have have found that in general making left handed products is more expensive than their Righty counterparts. Doesn't mean you can't find a good deal but usually the really well made "True" products will cost more to manufacture.

It comes with being "Rare" and unique, even more so if you are a left handed woman.

Momto3infinity
Pro
Momto3infinity
In response to jaxxan

Thank you to everyone who commented on this thread.

I ended up buying Kat her own pair of Cutterbee's and they work perfectly for her! I never thought of the torque we put on scissors as righties. LOL. After Kat would use mine, they would feel just a little bit different to me, but eventually would go back to normal. So scissors are an 'individual' thing.

She's excited to start scrappin' our recent trip to Disneyland. I bought a new cutting mat too and gave her my old one, so now she's set up her own scrappin' station in her bedroom.

Thanks again Ladies - keep a smile M.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics