Page 3 of 4 
Username Post: do I need nesties?        (Topic#1573411)
mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Rhondatx

It's a very subtle addiction. You buy a couple pieces of pretty paper on sale at Mike's when it's 6/$1. Throw a little adhesive runner in your cart. You have multiple pairs of scissors at home. What else could you possibly need? Don't ask...you'll soon realize you want NEED it all!

Rhondatx
Veteran
Rhondatx
In response to mrsdriver5

• mrsdriver5 Said:
It's a very subtle addiction. You buy a couple pieces of pretty paper on sale at Mike's when it's 6/$1. Throw a little adhesive runner in your cart. You have multiple pairs of scissors at home. What else could you possibly need? Don't ask...you'll soon realize you want NEED it all!

You are so right. I live in a small town that does not have a Michael's, or anything like it even, so thank goodness for online!

jennkaun
Tenant
jennkaun
In response to Rhondatx

This is definitely an addictive hobby, although I think I spend way more time shopping and looking online for stuff I want rather than actually using it!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Rhondatx

It might be cheaper for your addiction, if you have the willpower to not check-out as soon as you fill your virtual shopping cart. Think about it...add a few more things...add a couple more things...take one thing out, so of course that means you can add a few more things, but then decide if you're really doing the right thing.

I have a J's and 3 Michaels within easy driving, plus a couple of LSS that I know about. Unfortunately Fortunately the closest Hobby is about 60+ miles away. Between hubby and me, we make good use out of the Mike's coupons, running from store to store and each going through the check-out separately. We save lots of money...and of course, spend a lot of money! But since I've saved so much with coupons, I figure then I can afford to place a couple of online orders too~ Yep, my name is Judy and I am an addict

Now I just need to figure out how to use all the things I've bought. Heroin users at least know what to do with their stash! I just stash my stash.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I tend to collect scrap supplies. And then when I'm not looking they multiply.

Tenant
In response to Henri Jean

Lol, i thought that only happened to me!

kaye222
Governor
kaye222
In response to CommaHolly

I love them too! I also own a cricut and I love it for some things...especially basic shapes. I never really thought I would want spellbinders at the time....but let me tell you...they are addicting and are very beautiful!

ClaireP
New Kid On the Block
ClaireP
In response to jennkaun

When I ask the following question, please bear in mind that I am new to scrapbooking. I've just completed the 4th page of my first project (on my gallery page) and have recently purchased a Cuttlebug and the Cricut Mini (though I haven't used it yet).

Sooo, my question is:

What are *nesties*??

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to ClaireP

Spellbinder Nestabilities dies.
Products Referenced in This Post:

ClaireP
New Kid On the Block
ClaireP
In response to Here Kitty

Thank you, Here Kitty, for posting these! Now I know what they are and remember having seen some of them at M's.... now my question is, can these Spellbinder templates/cartridges be used in the Cricut and/or Cuttlebug machines?

Thanks again!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to ClaireP

They're dies, so they can't work in the Cricut. They do work in the Cuttlebug, however. If you look at the Spellbinders website, you will find all the compatibility information and the sandwiches you need to use.

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to ClaireP

Nesties and most all of the other dies, except for those larger than 6" wide, can be used with the cuttlebug. The 'bug manual shows how to do the plates for various dies. For thin dies you'll need to purchase the C plate separately, but it's easily found online or some people use other items. I'm lazy...I bought the C plate. There are also 6"x13" A, B, & C plates available for cutting/embossing longer items.

Nesties won't work in the cricut. It's a cartridge and/or software die-cutter.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter

I use my Nesties in a Cuttlebug ... the instructions tell you how to make the "sandwich" to cut them properly. You will need a tan embossing mat to emboss the image after you cut it ... I bought a set at HL, but I think you can find them at any of the big box stores.

jennkaun
Tenant
jennkaun
In response to madmatter

So I've decided to ask for these for Christmas this year, but which machine is the way to go? I'm thinking I would want one bigger than the cuttlebug. Just in case I need to do something bigger. So I've read a bit about the grand caliber and the big shot. Any opinions on which is better?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to jennkaun

• jennkaun Said:
So I've decided to ask for these for Christmas this year, but which machine is the way to go? I'm thinking I would want one bigger than the cuttlebug. Just in case I need to do something bigger. So I've read a bit about the grand caliber and the big shot. Any opinions on which is better?

Depends - some people love the Grand Calibur and some love the Big Shot Pro (the regular Big Shot is not as big). The Pro takes more kinds of dies, but IMO, the Grand Calibur embosses the Spellbinders dies the best of any machine. It's also a LOT cheaper. I have the Grand Calibur and use it constantly.

Edited by Here Kitty on 07-19-12 02:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Here Kitty

Grand Calibur

pros: will cut the Grand Nesties, no complicated sandwiches for the thin dies, seems to give the best embossed image

cons: will NOT cut thicker dies (like the Tim Holtz ones)

Big Shot Pro

pros: will cut the thicker dies

cons: will NOT cut the largest 2 or 3 sizes of the Grand Nestabilities sets

It's really a matter of which is a higher priority for you and what you want to use the machine for most

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-30-12 05:52 PM
In response to madmatter

madmatter - the Big Shot PRO will cut ALL the Nesties, including the Grands. The regular Big Shot is narrower and won't cut the largest ones.

I'd really like to see an up-close-and-personal example of the GC embossing ... or maybe not, lol, I'm pretty happy with my regular Big Shot, I don't need another machine. I'm also interested in the new Craftwell eBosser, waiting to see some real reviews of it.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to stick

the big shot pro is also EXTREMELY expensive.

I use the Grand Calibur to cut all my nesties,,,,,and the plain ol' big shot to cut the few thicker dies I have,,,,,,,,that's rare,,,,I tend to cut nesties exclusively.

jennkaun
Tenant
jennkaun
In response to CommaHolly

Hmm sounds like I need to do some researching so I don't end up wanting a different one when I do get one.
What do you all mean by thicker dies? I'm not super familiar with how they work yet since I don't have any.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 07-31-12 12:24 PM
In response to jennkaun

The majority of dies on the market are thin, only a few millimeters thick - Spellbinders, QuicKutz, CottageCutz, Memory Box, Cheery Lynn, My Favorite Things, etc. etc.

However Sizzix has many dies that are about half or 3/4 of an inch thick - these are their Bigz and Originals lines. Thing is - a lot of the Tim Holtz dies are Bigz I've also got a couple of discontinued Originals dies (you can often find dc'd ones on ebay) that I adore so there's no way I'd give up my Big Shot.

Page 3 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics