Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: dog lo embellies        (Topic#1573441)
angie girl
Diva
angie girl

Hey guys,

I'm trying to keep up with scrapping photos of my new puppy. I am finding myself struggle with embellies. There just isn't much out there, well locally anyways.

Just wondering what any of you have used to embellish doggie lo's.

TIA!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to angie girl

I haven't made my dog's mini-book yet- but I've got a few ideas in my head!

I got some blank 'dog tags' at J's, which I'm going to use to make an 'ID tag' like thing, using my metal stamps, to hammer onto the blank tags, to stamp his name onto them- to hang on the mini-book. I LOVE metal stamps! Such a cool effect/fun to make charms/put names on metal bits.

-kory

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

If you have a Cricut there are lots of carts with dogs and if you have a SLice there is Paws and Claws.

Michaels and Joanns and Hobby Lobby has tons of dog and puppy embellies, or they usually do.

There are some adorable dog papers out there too, fire hydrants, dog bones, water and food dishes, pictures and drawings of dogs.

If you want me to look for anything I'll be happy to.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Henri Jean

Metal stamps...sounds interesting. I'll have to look into that.

I do have a Cricut and I have Paper Pups. I'm in search of embellies that aren't puppy cut-outs, though. I haven't looked to see what other dog cartridges there are...I'm not sure my wallet would appreciate it. But please do tell what other ones there are.

I have papers...LOTS of papers. My problem is embellies.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom

there are all sorts of embellishment ideas on here for dogs...

such as:

Products Referenced in This Post:

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama

I found several cute embellies at J's and all the big boxes although if you are looking at M's it's probably picked over. The embellies shelves there are bare! I got some cute stuff from an on line store called Pet Page Memories.

Also, look for buttons, there are a lot of dog ones...I found some cool ones at Hancock Fabrics too.

Edited by CrimsonMama on 04-05-12 07:12 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to CrimsonMama

I have stamps that do paw prints (useful for borders or stamping on ribbons...look really cool done with embossing powder), I have metal brads that have paws on them. Chipboard or brads in the shape of bones works too.....
Good Luck,
Alison

Sonsie
Sonsie 
Pro
Sonsie
In response to kiyawinn

I like to rely more on papers than embellishments. Run a search on dog in the store here and 190 things pop up. I bet you can also get some good ideas doing a search in the gallery. This in an old LO I did with the BasicGrey Line called Max and Whiskers.

Puppy Love - Page 1 of 2 By Sonsie

Puppy Love - Page 2 of 2 By Sonsie

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Ohio4HMom

• Ohio4HMom Said:
there are all sorts of embellishment ideas on here for dogs...

such as:

I already saw the things in the superstore. Unfortunately over half the stuff you linked is discontinued here. Doesn't leave much really.

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Sonsie

I used the DCWV pet stack to do my Dog Mini Album

Mini Album Roxie and Turbo 1 By NMlady

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to NMlady

I found all my stickers at HL, and I bought ribbon at M's.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to NMlady

I just looked thru my gallery and not a single one of my dog layouts have "dog" paper or embellies. (Except the "woof" that I believe is from my Cricut sampler.)

I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm out and about and let you know if I see anything.

LesleyC
Diva
LesleyC
In response to kelseymel

I have paw pruint ribbon from HL. What about using that with paper clips?

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to kelseymel

Look in the pet supplies at the store. You might find things you could use there, like a leash for a tiny dog could be cut apart and used in place of ribbon...or you could make a leash embellie out of ribbon and some D rings or something. (I don't have a pet, so I'm having a hard time remembering the elements of a leash ). Check the labels and tags on items in the store..maybe there's some inspiration you could get from those.

What kinds of pics do you have? If there is something in the pic that really tells the story of the dog, maybe use that type item for embellies...like if he/she has a favorite toy that is a teddy bear, use teddy bear embellies. If the dog like to go for walks, maybe use grass and birds and butterflies and squirrels. If the dog's name is something that you could find embellies to suit, use those embellies..you could mat them onto a paw print. Use paw print diecuts to mat the title letters.

Is it a farm dog or a city dog? Inspiration from it's environment? Look for children's books about dogs..you could get inspiration there or even make embellies to look like the pictures in the books.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to justowen

You could stamp the dog's name onto ribbon or photo corners ..just repeat stamp the name along the ribbon or all over the photo corners.

If the pics are of the dog sleeping, you could use a bunch of different size "z"s and stamp or emboss them with paw prints. Tie a ribbon around the largest one (use the ribbon stamped with the dog name) and add a dog tag shaped tag and put either your title on it "doggie naptime"? or the date or the journaling on it.

You could replicate a dogfood sack...you could even use it as the mat for your pic...don't they usually have a pic of a dog on those bags? Some bags have the white paper that is stitched to seal it at the end of the bag..the stitching would be a great touch.

Check out all the doggies lo's here and see what was used and what you like and see if you can make something similar. Keep your mind wide open and as you're out and about, you'll be surprised at what you see that will inspire you to something...my dh thinks I'm a bit (a lot) whacko, because the oddest things give me an idea for scrapbooking.

tanyaham
Guru
tanyaham
In response to justowen

As a dog mom to 3 furry kids, I do LOTS of dog pages! I recently got the Echo Park mini-theme Woof, it has a great sheet of stickers, as well as Queen & Company has some great felt, washi tape and chipboard embellishments. I always keep paw print brads on hand, Recollections at Michaels has some cute ones. Also, Boxer Scrapbooks always has great pet-themed products.

If you look on my blog, all my dog pages are tagged, feel free to check it out!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to tanyaham

Lots of great ideas here!!

How about using the designs on your paper as embellies? For example, if there are pics of a dog or bone or food bowl etc, cut them out and use them like a sticker. You could mount them on chipboard or mat them on cardstock. You can use glossy accents to make an epoxy embellie. Ink the edges or spread a thin layer of "clear" stickles (like Rock Candy Distress Stickles) across them to give it a sugared coating.

Also, if you have "extra space" in your pics that can be omitted (like sky, grass etc) cut the pup out and use the extra background part to cut your letters out for the title or for his/her name. They can be matted or not, inked or not.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to Kim222

I love stickers but that does not work for everyone.

Have you tried the paw print border punch? I love mine for cat layouts.
Products Referenced in This Post:

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to PhotobearSam

Back when I was looking for rabbit stuff, it seemed like you couldn't walk into a sticker or paper aisle without tripping over dog and cat stuff (and when I was looking for cat stuff for a friend yesterday, all I saw was tons of dog stuff).

That said, take the lesson hard-learned by those with more obscure pets like rats and rabbits, as kelseymel has - and don't worry about finding such specific embellishments. I did tons of rabbit pages that didn't use rabbit-themed stickers or papers, because by and large they're simply not out there, anywhere, especially if you don't like a cartoony style. It's really quite possible to make great pages without having thematic papers and embellishments.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to aquabunny

I admit, I didn't read all the responses...

I have collected quite a bit of dog 'stuff' over the years. I have a couple of paw print stamps, that I use quite often.

I do have a book of pet papers, but tend to not use them.

I have printed my own 'patterned paper', using free clipart I got online (images of our dog's breed, printed lightly on a coordinating solid paper).

One of my favorite things to do is make a "collar" using ribbon and eyelets, and making a dog tag for it. There's a layout in my gallery with one.
I've done what Kory mentioned too --making metal tags with metal dies.

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics