Username Post: I can't be the only one...        (Topic#1573511)
Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf

I can't be the only one how just doe's not get Washi tape! i mean, it seems like one of thoese things that when we'll see it on our layouts in a few years we'll wonder what the hell...

I can't help but to let go that this is just another marketing ploy to spend more money.

"let's rip some little pieces of colorfull type and stick them randomly on our layouts".

Yikes!

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to Kitty_wOlf

lol there are lots of things I don't "get" in scrapbooking...owls, steampunk, just to name a couple. the couple of times I've used tape, it isn't random bits and pieces - I've used it as a border, frame, etc.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to Tina scraps

To each their own. This is one of those threads that can get started criticizing everyone's style.

My theory is -- we all don't need everything because it might not be OUR style. But doesn't mean someone else won't love it.

That being said -- companies will constantly try to get us to buy their stuff. That's their job! LOL Doesn't mean we have to put it in our baskets.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

• Kitty_wOlf Said:
I can't be the only one how just doe's not get Washi tape! i mean, it seems like one of thoese things that when we'll see it on our layouts in a few years we'll wonder what the hell...

I can't help but to let go that this is just another marketing ploy to spend more money.

"let's rip some little pieces of colorfull type and stick them randomly on our layouts".

Yikes!

Yeah, if you did it like that it would probably look ridiculous.

It's actually very pretty, you should google it.

TFCasper
Veteran
TFCasper
In response to kelseymel

I like the washi tape/paper tape that I bought from Tim Holtz but haven't used any other. His tape is of course distressed looking and fits with his style, so it goes with everything he puts his name on.

I would assume that you wouldn't use the crazier patterns and colors unless that was your style. I bought a roll of it for each of my nieces to go with the Smash books I got them at Christmas, but that's kind of the point / style of a smash book - all kinds of miscellaneous mis-matched items stuck on a page. If you do scrapbook layouts in that style it would look appropriate.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to TFCasper

I kinda thought the same thing and then went to a class to make a altered picture frame box thing and we used it on all the edges after modge podging the paper on, so for that it was perfect!!

I guess I would use it much like ribbon but it is not something I would pick up unless the pattern was AMAZING!!

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I have to admit, I don't own any YET, but my big attraction to washi has to do with having a 5 year old.... who loves my glue dots for all his school projects. This tape would let him adhere items to his projects AND it's cute and colorful and adds to the project.

And, I could use it to make books, frame and adhere a photo to a page AT THE SAME TIME, and stick a note to the cabinet for the DH. Imagine what fun it could add to wrapping up a gift, in place of plain old Scotch?

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to MommaSaid

I can totally understand why some folks don't get Washi Tape. I personally love that it is inexpensive and that it has an organic quality that begs to be played with.

My first card is in my gallery but I can't get it to post on this thread so I put it on my blog.

Edited by theellenbee on 04-08-12 07:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to MommaSaid

I can't get excited about it enough to buy any. I'm sure if someone were to put some in my hand and show me a cool project (like those modge podged boxes SBQ just referenced) I would use it and might just start a stash of it.

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to moxiegirl23

Can anyone help me here? I want to post my Washi Tape card on this thread and can't! I post the link but no photo appears :-)

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to theellenbee

Ellen, did you enable public embedding?

I can see it in your gallery -- LOVE the ripping!

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to MommaSaid

My first, but my my last, Washi Tape card By Theellenbee

That worked!

Edited by MommaSaid on 04-08-12 08:05 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to MommaSaid

Thank you Anne.

My additional thoughts - For $4.00 you get lots of tape. Also, we as consumers are programmed to become bored quickly with same old, same old. Hence the need to buy NEW items. I can't afford to buy all the new dies I want, but I can afford to buy a whole lot of tape - so I have added WT to my additctions!! Thre's more about WT on my blog!

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
  • Kitty_wOlf Said:

Yikes!

Yeah, if you did it like that it would probably look ridiculous.

It's actually very pretty, you should google it.

THIS

Lenethren
Governor
Lenethren
In response to angie girl

I had no idea what you were talking of so I googled it. It looks great to me, I`d use it.

LesleyC
Mayor
LesleyC

• Kitty_wOlf Said:

Yikes!

Gotta admit, I'm one who didn't "get" the SMASH book concept, or the distress inks, or the Washi tape concept. But I gotta admit, it didn't "get" scrapbooking and cardmaking, either at first.

Now, when I see people post about stuff that I know nothing about, I google and/or You Tube it and/or check it out in the gallery.

Sometimes I think, "Oh cool, gotta get that." And sometimes I think, "That looks nice on their projects/LOs, but I can't see it working for mine." So far, I haven't bought any washi, but so many people have posted cool stuff made with it --I'm sure it won't be too long before I find a reason to buy some.

And EllenBee -- I LOVE that card.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to LesleyC

I like some of it but I really don't like when it's just strips put on the edges of pictures and stuff like that.

And I agree I think you either like or don't.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

It's cute and the fact that it is repositionable is the best part. But I have not seen any "I have to have it" washi tape. If I see some that is very appropriate to what I'm working on I might get it. Otherwise, my wish list is already pretty long.

Ms. Mom
Expert
Ms. Mom
In response to CrimsonMama

I totally get how others would like it. I love all the colors and designs but it is not for me. Everytime I see a project with it, I think I can do that with paper LOL and keep my money in my wallet. It's true that we consumers get bored with the same 'ol same 'ol and companies must come up with new products or old products that we can use in new ways and imo this is one of them. It was the same thing for me with Smash books....old concept in a new package. Don't plan on buying those either.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to Ms. Mom

• Ms. Mom Said:
I totally get how others would like it. I love all the colors and designs but it is not for me. Everytime I see a project with it, I think I can do that with paper LOL and keep my money in my wallet. It's true that we consumers get bored with the same 'ol same 'ol and companies must come up with new products or old products that we can use in new ways and imo this is one of them. It was the same thing for me with Smash books....old concept in a new package. Don't plan on buying those either.

I Agree! the thing that i think is allways- I can do it with paper... and the thing is- is all thoes little scraps- would be perfect for that!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics