Username Post: What to use as embellishments??        (Topic#1573571)
lilmrmaid
Angel
lilmrmaid

Ok, I am working on my dd's scrapbook of her school pics. Kindergarten through grade 12.

I don't know what all to use as embellishments. On the high school ones I used flowers and bling but on the younger ones I don't want to use flowers, any suggestions on embellishments???

On each page I put the grade as the title.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

LesleyC
Mayor
LesleyC
In response to lilmrmaid

Maybe school supply type things? Scrapbuck had a whole bunch of Crayola embellishments for next to nothing. Ot sure if those are still available...

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to LesleyC

I was thinking school buses, apples, lunch boxes etc...for younger grades, globes, pens, calculators, bookbags, lockers, varsity jackets, sports stickers/embellies etc...for higher grades. Prom themed embellies for 11th and 12th grades, grad caps for graduation photos. Do u have any cricut carts with school images? I have several, PM me if i can cut and send any to you, id be happy to help!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to lilmrmaid

Pencils, crayons, rulers, numbers, ABCs, ATC with addition or subtraction facts on them, globes, test tubes (for science), school bus stickers, apples, books, musical instruments (if she plays any).....
Good luck and have fun!!
Alison
Products Referenced in This Post:

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to LesleyC

I agree. School supply items, apples, buses, etc. If she had a particular interest during that grade, perhaps embellishments pertaining to it. For example, my nephew was in love with Barney when he was in preschool. I could make a page that was purple and green, and use Barney clip art that I printed off and fussy cut.

reneeann
Veteran
reneeann
In response to siameseplease

Besides school themed objects which are great. Have you thought of fall stuff or spring stuff depending on when the picture was taken. Stars work too, or buttons in colors to match top she is wearing. also think about what she was into at that age, Barbie, Hello Kitty, Disney, Winnie The Pooh....I hope all the different ideas help to inspire you. Just have fun.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to reneeann

I was going to say school items, rulers, elmers glue pictures, apples, scissors, books, buses, blackboards

use items that were the "in" thing that year - pokemon cards or whatever....

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Ohio4HMom

How about stars, circles and other shapes of chipboard colored to match your paper or pictures. Also flourishes would be cute.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Governor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 04-10-12 03:39 AM
In response to Sneezy1956

all of the above for sure and what about embellies for things she was interested in at the time.

Eg Bikes, dolls, heroes, idols, movie characters, music... etc

lovinlife
Resident
lovinlife
In response to GMFTS

You could use old flashcards or pages from old school books (can be found at thrift stores or yard sales)
Another cute idea is to use your shape punches (circles and stars) and punch out parts of her old papers. I have lots of old workbooks the kids brought home at the end of the school year. I've punched parts of those out and they make darling embellishments
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54597674@N03/5 116561988/in...

You could use a ruler stamp or alphabet stamps and Staz On ink to stamp silk flowers to make them school themed
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54597674@N03/5 115968565/in...

Simple office supplies work too- index cards, paper clips, envelopes, library cards, the little gold star stickers we used to get on our papers. You could even use actual crayon wrappers or cut up the front of the crayon box for an embellishment. You don't have to stick with premade school embellishments! Let me know if you'd like more ideas:)

www.live-love-scrap.blogspot.com

ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162
In response to lovinlife

Well I was thinking of school supplies, ABCs, apples, school house & bus, & lunch boxes....
Yeah stuff like that

Miss Giebel
Tenant
Miss Giebel
In response to ScrappinGirl162

I created a 2nd grade 8x8 album and used my cricut almost exclusively for the embellishments. The two cartridges I used were Locker Talk and My Community. But now the Cricut has more "school" related cartridges too, like Lite Recess and Teen Scene.

Here's the link to my mini album.

Sonsie
Sonsie 
Pro
Sonsie
In response to Miss Giebel

There are a ton of Pre-k through elementary school embellies at most any big box craft store. I did these for my son using cricut locker talk and some inexpensive embellishments from Michaels.

Tenant
In response to lilmrmaid

I scraplifted an idea I saw in a one of my idea books. Make little books by folding a small rectagular piece of scrap paper in half not quite aligning the corners to make the outside of the book, for the inside of the book slide a small white square of white square paper inside. On the outside of the "books" you could write the subjects like Reading, Math, Spelling, English etc. They really look great in dfferent primary colors and its also a good way to help use up your smaller scraps of paper. Another suggestion for grade shool suggestion for grade school is to make crayons and pencils out of scraps. I really had fun making them.

New Kid On the Block
In response to lovinlife

• Quote:
You could use old flashcards or pages from old school books (can be found at thrift stores or yard sales)

Another cute idea is to use your shape punches (circles and stars) and punch out parts of her old papers. I have lots of old workbooks the kids brought home at the end of the school year. I've punched parts of those out and they make darling embellishments
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54597674@N03/5 116561988/in...

You could use a ruler stamp or alphabet stamps and Staz On ink to stamp silk flowers to make them school themed
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54597674@N03/5 115968565/in...

Simple office supplies work too- index cards, paper clips, envelopes, library cards, the little gold star stickers we used to get on our papers. You could even use actual crayon wrappers or cut up the front of the crayon box for an embellishment. You don't have to stick with premade school embellishments! Let me know if you'd like more ideas:)

www.live-love-scrap.blogspot.com

I really like these ideas! I also collect dewey decimal library cards from the library (that are free and no longer in use), old bookmarks, and post-it note doodles.

I have an assortment of mini-rulers and protractors for a more homework/learning math related theme. If you have photos of them completing say a science fair project (on dinosaurs, for example) you could go a total different direction with that!

dlanvinson
Resident
dlanvinson
In response to ParisBecca84

OMG LovinLife! I love the idea of using punched out things from their old school papers/books!! DS graduates next may and I haven't even started his yet but now I have a little different twist than the one I did for dd last year. Thanks for the Great idea!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics