Username Post: Vintage Lace trim        (Topic#1573585)
Expert

This may be a really stupid question but......

Where does everyone find that really cool vintage lace trim I see on so many layouts? I have looked at J's and HL and don't really see anything that jumps out at me. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to scrappy_day

I have some from HL but did you check in both the scrapbooking and fabric section? That might sound like a dumb question but I found some leather trim I wanted in jewelry and THEN found a larger spool, better price for the same thing in fabric.

I also look for unique buttons, lace and ribbon at Hancock Fabric. So a regular fabic store might have something you like better.

Expert
In response to CrimsonMama

I did check the fabric section but I only looked at the stuff they sold by the spool. Not the stuff they sold per yard.
Thanks for the tip! I appreciate it........(as I start to google if a Hancock Fabric store is near by - he he)

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6

Thrift stores, consignment shops, yard sales.......I find TONS...of the stuff, for pennies. Literally.

Dont be afraid to look at yard sales when they have "fill-a-bag" for $5, and get clothing with useable trim, lace and buttons to take apart and use....

New Kid On the Block
In response to ScrappyMama6

Thrift stores are really the way to go. Usually the clothing you find lace on has seen better days but the pieces I've found have been incredibly durable and lovely once removed. (Sometimes if the blouse is really nice, I don't cut the lace I just wear it!)

But when in doubt for those who have HL's or specialty shops I would definitely take advantage of their selection.

lovinlife
Resident
lovinlife
In response to ParisBecca84

I have found great deals at thrift stores and yard sales. Once I got a huge bundle still on it's bulk packaging for less than $1 at a thrift store.
I see lots of old trim for sale at yard sales.

Some scrapbooking companies have started selling new trim made to look like old trim- I see quite a bit of it at Archivers.

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to lovinlife

I agree with the thrift store buys, and if you only find white or ivory, remember, you can change the color with your spray dyes.

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 04-10-12 09:33 AM
In response to Mother Goose

Estate sales, thrift stores and sometimes on Etsy, too.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I have purchased lace and/or ribbon at our local fabric store but there's also a good selection on here and I've ordered some of it....really pretty!

Alison

joogz
joogz 
Diva
joogz
  • joogz on 04-10-12 10:22 AM
In response to kiyawinn

Etsy has some pretty lace

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to joogz

I've taken lace off of old clothing to use on my layouts. I've also taken new lace from the scrapbook store and sprayed it with Glimmer Mist. This gives it an aged look.

Expert
In response to Luvmyfam

Thanks so much for all the wonderful ideas! I did find a Hancock Fabrics close to work and stopped on my way home yesterday. They had a great selection of lace - and it was on sale!

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il

I had a some of it from when I was little. I have used it, but have seen similar at WalMart.

New Kid On the Block
In response to scrappnmom2il

JoAnne's has some on little rolls in the fabric notions section...some in pretty colors and textures and metallics too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics