Username Post: New to Scraps ( sorta) and losted!        (Topic#1573627)
tracipdean
New Kid On the Block
tracipdean

Hi there, my name is Traci and I am a bit lost!

I did make a memory box for my daughter for Christmas so I am not totally new to this and I do on-line graphics but I am trying to make a memory book for her graduation in May and just have a few questions...

I have gotten her pictures, been to the scrap store, gotten her book, some embellishments, some cardstock, papers etc.

Here is my question, I have lots of ' scraps' from on-line ( free to use ones ) and even ones I have though of buying but let's stick with the FTU for now. I see their examples of what they have done and and they talk of how they are ' printable' but my question is this...

How would for example a button or a something ' raised' like that, print that way, and not just look flat? Or am I missing something?

When I do my graphics on line I use all kinds of scrap kits and they look very nice, but they are all ' flat' are this supposed to be this way too, in a book? For if it can be flat, then couldn't I just do it in PSE ( I have a MAC) and then print it out already completed?

Or how do people print out scrap kits they get on line in seperate layers?

Does this make sense to anyone?

Please forgive me if this sounds odd, I am new to this, any help would be greatly appreciated?

bgsl56
bgsl56 
Expert
bgsl56
In response to tracipdean

You could print out the elements & glue them to chipboard to add thickness or print on heavy cardstock and use the foam adhesive dots to add dimension.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I use adhesive foam when I want to add dimension to paper embellies. These come in different thicknesses. Or if it's flowers I curl the petals or roll the edges. Or yes, like a button you could use chipboard.
Products Referenced in This Post:

tracipdean
New Kid On the Block
tracipdean
In response to bgsl56

Ummm, well like I said I am REALLY new so not totally sure what you mean but I will try and figure it out, I so appreciate your help! I am a total newbie! I do graphics, but totally for a pleasure stand point, not to give to someone so I think this may be me having to start over, eek! So, I am not sure what I have or what I know will translate??? Plus I have a a mac, not sure that makes a difference?

Thanks again,

Traci

tracipdean
New Kid On the Block
tracipdean
In response to CrimsonMama

Hmmm, I will have to googles this, I think I am going to put in my gallery a few that I have done so I can show what I am talking about and maybe someone can see what I mean? I so hope I don't have to totally un-learn! I deal with the the PSP community, I wonder if anyone here knows what that is? I am not sure, can I upload something like that in my gallery to show what I am talking about?

Now, I do have a MAC so a lot of that doesn't work for me anymore...

Though I am not sure what a clipboard is and the other things you are talking of ?

For me, I go to Joannes and their stuff is nice, don't get me wrong, but I so like the scrapes I see on-line and that I already have?

Thank you again!!!

Traci

Edited by tracipdean on 04-12-12 06:33 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

Can you print out the shapes you see online and already have? If yes, print them out on paper or cardstock or photo paper or acetate/acrylic etc etc etc.

Once printed, use the suggestions above to give your flat elements dimension, or you can leave them flat and adhere them to your page.

Hope that helps

tracipdean
New Kid On the Block
tracipdean
In response to Kim222

Yes, that does help, thank you so much! But to me, they just look, I don't know, digital, lol! I guess I am looking for something different, maybe I am not explaining myself correctly...I have just an average printer, nothing fancy. BUT when I print these out, they just look like paper objects, which they are I guess but maybe that is all I can expect. I guess I was trying to find a way to not have to spend a fortune on scrap kits!! Or buying fonts! Thank you so much everyone!

xoxoxox
Tracu

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel

Unfortunately any of the digital things you print out are going to look like a picture of the object instead of the object itself. You can use chipboard (like thin cardboard) or pop-dots (raised adhesive dots) to give it dimension, but ultimately it is still going to look like a picture. Some people do all their scrapbooking digitally, and for them that's fine, for myself I prefer the real thing as I'm all about the texture and layers. The most important thing to remember is to find a technique that makes you happy, don't compare your work to others.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics