Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Making your own Embellishments        (Topic#1573635)
drunkfromhiskiss
New Kid On the Block
drunkfromhiskiss

I need some help coming up with ideas. Since I am scrapping on somewhat of a budget, I was thinking about trying to make some of my own embellishments instead of buying them. Sometimes they can be so expensive. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or tips for this.. Like what kinds of things do you use to make them? I am going to try to use up a lot of my paper scraps, old ribbons, buttons, etc.. but anyone have any ideas besides that? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Edited by drunkfromhiskiss on 04-11-12 10:41 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to drunkfromhiskiss

Youtube is my friend. I make tons of my own flowers,,,,,I have punches and dies I use to cut the paper (and they are worth it because they can be used over and over again) and then I shape them with a stylus on a foam mat.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to CommaHolly

I agree, I got two sizes of flower sqeeze punches from Fiskars and can put together a lot with just scrap paper. I never buy a tool without it being on sale or having at least a 40% discount coupon.

I also made acordian flowers from paper by hand and fabric yoyo flowers, really easy, just add a button, etc.

I have salvaged a ton of buttons from my mom's stash. It's amazing how many cool ones she had saved from over the years, I will never use them all.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS

youtube and blogs are my go-to places to look for tutorials on your own embellishments.

And like Holly said, punches and dies are great investments for making your own flowers and other embellies

drunkfromhiskiss
New Kid On the Block
drunkfromhiskiss
In response to MrsAnnieS

Thanks.. I was planning on buying a few more punches since I only have a couple. Any favorites you can recommend??

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook

For brads, buy the plain gold ones at the dollar store and paint them with nail polish....

Ms.Schwiet
Queen
Ms.Schwiet
In response to debby_westbrook

Most all flower punches rock. You can build different layers, crumples, twist and get lots of variety. Also butterflies are great to. But I love both on my pages

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to Ms.Schwiet

Melissa made beautiful flowers just using a circle! I will add a link to her blog .

If you get a 5 petal punch, you can make an array of flowers! I do this often with die cuts but it works just the same. I do that here .

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to HisGEM

If you like butterflies look into Martha Stewarts butterfly punch. It's my favorite punch because no matter what your style, a butterfly will fit into almost any LO or project. I have made tons of butterflies from kraft brown to shabby chic pink and they always add something special. Don't forget to use a coupon!

Tenant

I'm also a big fan of fussy cutting images from the paper I'm using. Sometimes i'll emboss it as well.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to nswilliams

Things used to make embellishments......

- paper tape to make flowers
- circle punch to make the circle-type flowers
(folding two sides of the punched circle in, do a bunch of them, attach them one at a time with pointed end inwards on another circle and put a brad in the middle...quick way of explaining!)
- grungeboard - I've used this to make my own haunted house for halloween layouts, clouds, moons, stars etc...I cut pieces to make pickets and strung them together with thin gauge wire to make a picket fence for a beach layout....
- vellum - makes really cool butterflies (you can dip the edge of the wings in white paint or gesso for an added cool effect)
- you can also use fabric, string, burlap, Kory's ribbon idea (stamping on cotton to make your own ribbons)

Have fun!
Alison

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to kiyawinn

You can cut out the designs and pictures on your paper and use them like a sticker.
You could mount them on chipboard or cardstock.
You can use glossy accents to make an epoxy embellie, distress it with ink and/or crackle paint to give it a worn look or emboss it to give it a whole other look.
Ink the edges or spread a thin layer of "clear" stickles (like Rock Candy Distress Stickles) across them to give it a sugared coating.

You can also print your own clip art/pics/etc to use as embellies too.

Simple shapes will give you lots of options (ie: using circles/ovals for flower petals). You can then draw in the stem or run some flat ribbon through your ink jet for a custom printed look
like this :

http://www.scrapbook.com/galleries/88426/view/ 913995/-1...

Edited by Kim222 on 04-12-12 11:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162
In response to Kim222

Paper piecing is another way to make your own embellishments! There are many free templates out there & you only need a craft knife, self-healing mat, paper, and chalks or colored pencils!

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie
In response to theellenbee

• theellenbee Said:
If you like butterflies look into Martha Stewarts butterfly punch. It's my favorite punch because no matter what your style, a butterfly will fit into almost any LO or project. I have made tons of butterflies from kraft brown to shabby chic pink and they always add something special. Don't forget to use a coupon!

Which Martha punch? She has so many!!

Lenethren
Governor
Lenethren
In response to Sassie

I made some awesome flowers from dryer sheets (Bounce). I don`t recall the tutorial but if you google that I am sure it will come up.

Also you can buy foil tape at the dollar store, stick foil to plain cardstock, punch out. It looks like metal punch outs!

Hope these help!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Lenethren

You can also wrap chipboard shapes with aluminum foil and color or stamp with alcohol inks, copics, staz on etc.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to Kim222

I was going to say what Holly said, YouTube is a great resource.

I make some of my own embellishments, especially when I am altering a letter, can, etc...

You might look around at a dollar store or Walmart for wooden shapes---hearts, stars, circles---that can be mod podged. I also cut interesting tags from clothing and keep them as well as keeping strings, pins, etc... from the tags that are attached to the sleeves and collars.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
You can also wrap chipboard shapes with aluminum foil and color or stamp with alcohol inks, copics, staz on etc.

That's a good idea! ... Thanks.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Sassie

• Sassie Said:
  • theellenbee Said:

Which Martha punch? She has so many!!

these two are my fav MS butterfly punches! they make 3 different size butterflies for almost anything you can think of!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

I like making my own flowers check good will for 10 cent clothes and pull the trims and buttons off of them. If you have a circle punch you can make really cute flowers.

some glossy accents and some words printed on your printer and you can make some cute dimensional accents.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics