Username Post: Smash Album        (Topic#1573641)
kaybear93
Expert
kaybear93

What exactly is a Smash album?

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to kaybear93

Here's info on them. Easier and quicker to give you the links....but basically its a VERY informal scrap album you 'smash', tape, pin, paperclip etc..pics, notes, doodles etc....into.

http://www.eksuccessbrands.com/kandcompany/productli st....

Try a gallery search of "Smash" and you'll find some awesome examples....

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to kaybear93

It is a system designed to give you a book and cute embellies to journal something: weight loss, trip, fav. decorating ideas, etc.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-12-12 06:10 AM
In response to Sunnydi

A friend made me one for my gardening. This is the cover:

Cover By Tivi

It's one of those black/white dollar marbley journals from Walmart, covered in pp and embellies. The first dozen pages of mine have my gardening calendar - what to do in each month (plant seeds, prepare beds, transplant, etc). The rest of the pages have things like the plant tags, receipts (for the one year plant guarantee), pics of my plants, and dirt from my hands .

I use a regular pen, regular scotch tape, regular staples, and an Elmers glue stick. You can buy a special pen for SMASH books that has a small glue stick where the eraser would normally be.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Tivi

• Tivi Said:

Cover By Tivi

It's one of those black/white dollar marbley journals from Walmart, covered in pp and embellies. The first dozen pages of mine have my gardening calendar - what to do in each month (plant seeds, prepare beds, transplant, etc). The rest of the pages have things like the plant tags, receipts (for the one year plant guarantee), pics of my plants, and dirt from my hands .

I use a regular pen, regular scotch tape, regular staples, and an Elmers glue stick. You can buy a special pen for SMASH books that has a small glue stick where the eraser would normally be.

What a neat journal/Smash book Tivi! I have one too that I must get to using, its almost too pretty to write in!

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to ScrappyMama6

Although minie isn't a traditional Smash book, I posted my version of a Smash book on my blog this morning. It's organic, anything goes - from business cards to real ticket stubs and everything is taped down with fake aged scotch tape. Hope you'll take a look -

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-12-12 06:29 AM
In response to ScrappyMama6

• ScrappyMama6 Said:
  • Tivi Said:

Cover By Tivi

What a neat journal/Smash book Tivi! I have one too that I must get to using, its almost too pretty to write in!

Um, yea, I had to get over that part!!!

You would NOT believe all the nice comments I have received on it either! I take it with me to the nursery and people stop me and want to look at it. If I had that pp, I think I could have sold a dozen of them by now!!!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Tivi

• Tivi Said:

Cover By Tivi

Would that be a composition notebook?

Although I may like your description better.

cescrapper
Expert
cescrapper
In response to Bxr-Linda

I took a favorite store bought journal and i'm turning it into a smash/junque journal. it's so easy to do when you have a Cinch

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to cescrapper

• cescrapper Said:
I took a favorite store bought journal and i'm turning it into a smash/junque journal. it's so easy to do when you have a Cinch

Now I'm confused. Why do you need a Cinch for this?

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-12-12 12:44 PM
In response to Bxr-Linda

Linda, my brain was a bit foggy and I could NOT think of that word (composition)!!!!!!

kaybear93
Expert
kaybear93
In response to Tivi

Thank you everyone I think I am going to work on one soon. I am taking care of my mom right now while she is under hospice care and i don't have any of my supplies with me. So this could be perfect for me to journal her stories and little trinkets.. where do I find a Smash Pen?

kaybear93
Expert
kaybear93
In response to theellenbee

• theellenbee Said:
Although minie isn't a traditional Smash book, I posted my version of a Smash book on my blog this morning. It's organic, anything goes - from business cards to real ticket stubs and everything is taped down with fake aged scotch tape. Hope you'll take a look -

I LOVE your blog...And your work is amazing..Thank you for sharing..

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to kaybear93

Thanks Kathy and so sorry about your mom. You do not need a special smash pen - any pen will do. What makes this different from a diary is that there isn't a need to write pages - sometimes just a word or two will suffice.

I'll never forget when my father was dying that he smiled when I sang a song. I didn't have a journal back then but if I did, I would have written that simple sentence. A journal is a reflection of you and you can put anything in it and make it anyway you want. Take good care and I will say a prayer for you mom. Hugs - EllenBee

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 04-12-12 06:40 PM
In response to kaybear93

• kaybear93 Said:
Thank you everyone I think I am going to work on one soon. I am taking care of my mom right now while she is under hospice care and i don't have any of my supplies with me. So this could be perfect for me to journal her stories and little trinkets.. where do I find a Smash Pen?

Are you asking about the one I mentioned? The superstore here has them. I've also seen them at J's and M's.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to Tivi

I liked the whole idea of it but i think i will like the ones that people are doing them sellf - meaning puting the book togther the wey they want to and then binding it.

Iv'e had a dairy for years but a smash book seems like a really cool idea for thoese who don't write as mach. it's "no rules" kinda of scrapbooking.

you can lool on Youtube for people who are making their own- or, process pages that people are doing withing the orignal smash books.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to Kitty_wOlf

I like the smash books and would love to start one. I am not sure as to how to make the pages (this will be in a loose leaf binder). Do I make pages out of cardstock or do I use lighter weight paper and glue paper to both sides. I looked through a real smash book and noticed many of the pages are cardstock weight not text weight.
If I glue paper over paper what glue do I use to completely cover the page?..... thanks for any advice. I wish I had someone close to ask but we don't have a LSS.

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to wilbur

Wilbur,
I started with the basic TC Notations Album, but any 3 ring binder would have sufficed. Then I used assorted card stock from my stash, punched holes and went to town. If you want to see what I did head over to my blog - it's the current post.
The best part for me was using the aged scotch tape so it looks yellow - way cool.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to theellenbee

thanks ellenbee. I looked at your blog. You make so many nice things, very inspiring.

I think I understand a little more now about making pages or even the whole book ahead - before I want to use it and not page by page like a scrapbook. It will be a fun project and I get to play with all my paper!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics