Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Choosing ONE manufacturer for 8 years of scrapbooks        (Topic#1573729)
cindy312
Diva
cindy312

Help!! My childhood best friend has asked me to scrapbook 8 years' worth of photos for her. She has no photo albums whatsoever- just years of photos on the hard drive that she's never done anything with. She wants me to scrap the best pictures- no more than 5-6 pages per year. She wants the album to be VERY simple, no journaling, but attractive and timeless.

Needless to say, she knows absolutely nothing about scrapbooking. She wants me to make all the decisions for her, but I'm not comfortable with that. I'd like to give her limited choice instead- like, "Here are 2 albums. Pick one." That kind of thing.

For simplicity's sake and to create uniformity, I'm thinking that I'll work with ONE manufacturer for all the patterned paper. Otherwise I'm going to spend too much time going through every possible paper to pick the perfect one for each page. What manufacturer would you choose and why? Any other thoughts or tips???

Thank you!!!!
Cindy

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to cindy312

Well, I would at least make her pick between post bound and D-ring albums because they are so different. She might have some expectation from seeing what you use already.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CrimsonMama

If it were my friend, I would tell her I would help and advise her and even scrap with her but I wouldn't make the decisions or do all the work.

I have friends who loved my travel scrapbooks and when they hinted or asked me to make one I've told them I would love to help them and we've worked on them together.

That way it is her responsibility to pick the papers and pictures and things, and it would be a fun thing to do together.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Henri Jean

I agree that I'd get her input for the album style and papers. For uniformity, you might want to look into stacks which are already coordinated to go together. Maybe you could show her a few different ones and let her choose which she likes best. Everyones style is different, so what you like might not be what she likes. Good luck with your project!

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to Kim222

I made one for my sister's son (my nephew obviously) for his graduation after she requested it. She is not a scrapper either and just doesn't enjoy doing that kind of thing. So, I was happy to make the album and do all the work myself.

But, she too, gave me a list of requirements that was vague. This makes perfect sense because she (and your friend) wasn't/isn't aware of her choices. I suggest too, like Kim 222 has, that you either show her choices (internet or better yet take her to a hobby store) and have her point out preferences (with your guidance and suggestions). For instance, you can explain the benefits of one type of album over another type. And since you understand at least some of the people and events that need to be scrapped (meaning children?, pets?, marriages etc etc) you can also guide her into good pp choices. During my whole process, I dragged my reluctant sister to a hobby store exactly once and discovered her preferences. She even went so far as to suggest a couple of products she definitely wanted incorporated. I do confess that I had to call and ask for some clarification on approaches and facts (I had to do some journaling) for various pages as they were being worked on. She loved the project when it was completed. Even my nephew (who never put in any input at all) raved over one particular page.

I also agree with Kim222 on the idea of using paper stacks to keep things simpler... once a few style choices have been narrowed down for you.

Good luck! It should be fun!

Edited by KatieJo on 04-14-12 07:07 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to KatieJo

Thanks for the input. I should have mentioned that we live several states apart, so we won't be getting together for shopping or photo selection or scrapping. We'll be on the phone together on Monday, both with sb.com up, and I'll have her type in a few things into the search box and see what she prefers.

She has said she doesn't care about any of the details. I know that sounds ridiculous (it does to me anyway), but she likes what I make, trusts my taste, and doesn't want anything to do with the process. She just wants to have some completed albums. I'm going to force her to choose between a few things because I really don't want all that responsibility, so I was hoping for some input from you all.

My initial thought is BG. I have a TON of their stuff that crosses all seasons/occasions, so it would be easy to make 8 years of stuff using their different lines. But perhaps it's a bit too distressed or busy for her. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

boysmom
Pro
boysmom
In response to cindy312

I would use Echo Park. The dots and stripes collections are very flexible and there are a few which are more specific. And their collections mix and match easily.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to boysmom

• boysmom Said:
I would use Echo Park. The dots and stripes collections are very flexible and there are a few which are more specific. And their collections mix and match easily.

OK, adding Echo Park to my list!

I should mention .... my friend is 40, married, with a 7 year old boy and a 4 year old girl. They live in Colorado and their family is super active and outdoorsy- so lots of skiing, hockey, hiking, and soccer pics, that sort of thing. They have dogs. They do big family vacations at least once a year, often twice. So basically, I need paper lines that cover boy/girl, nature, sports, holidays, vacations, and dogs. In other words, pretty much everything. And she only wants 5 or 6 pages a year to cover all that. Eek!!

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to boysmom

Oh, being several states apart does affect things a bit. Having her point you in the right via this site will definitely be of help of course.

Strangely enough, I had earlier considered suggesting BG or Echo Park (specifically the Dots and Stripes collection). I thought both of those conform to color tones in your gallery (which is a beautiful collection of work BTW). (I had at first considered Bo Bunny's Double Dots - but think now, that it might be a bit too bright.) I was pretty sure she had to also be a fan of your work, or she wouldn't be asking you to do this in the first place.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to KatieJo

Sorry, posted as you were posting...

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to KatieJo

I would go basic grey too. Its just easier with a line that matches, and their stuff fits most everything. For me at least. I would just go for it and not worry about it. BG paper packs have alpha and some dies I would use. Even thought she doesn't want it embellished, a little would not overwhelm it but would make it much better to look through.

VickieW
Resident
VickieW
In response to SherylEb

You might want to consider using a WRMK album and their photo page protectors like the ones in Project Life. Then put a few pieces of patterned paper for fun and maybe some embellishments.You could make her a few journal cards just in case she decides she wants to write something about a picture. Is that clear as mud?

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to VickieW

Cindy, I was going to suggest BG, too. It's easy to mix the lines because the overall design for BG is pretty consistent. However, I completely understand about the possibility of BG being too distressed. Often I will use the BG "solid" papers with snippets of the BG patterned papers and matching embellies. That helps tone down the distressed look.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to cindy312

I don't think it's any diffrent from scraping a wedding album.

I started working on one for my sister. so i deacided on a box full of godies for my sellf - foucsing on a color scheam.

I would try to pick paper colleactions that are chils theamed. keep it primary and pick matching embelishments to go with.
Products Referenced in This Post:

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to VickieW

• VickieW Said:
You might want to consider using a WRMK album and their photo page protectors like the ones in Project Life. Then put a few pieces of patterned paper for fun and maybe some embellishments.You could make her a few journal cards just in case she decides she wants to write something about a picture. Is that clear as mud?

Perfectly clear! And a Project Life type thing is an option I hadn't considered. Thanks! I'm adding that to her list of choices.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
Cindy, I was going to suggest BG, too. It's easy to mix the lines because the overall design for BG is pretty consistent. However, I completely understand about the possibility of BG being too distressed. Often I will use the BG "solid" papers with snippets of the BG patterned papers and matching embellies. That helps tone down the distressed look.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried that she'll think the BG is too busy unless I use nothing but solids. And if I'm going to do that, I might as well use a different brand because half the fun of BG is the patterns. I'm leaning more and more toward Echo Park's Dots and Stripes.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to cindy312

My Minds Eye has some great HUGE paper packs (Lost and Found is a great one) that would probably cover all events and is very reasonably priced ...

she must be a VERY good friend for you to do this for her ... I hope she appreciates it

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
she must be a VERY good friend for you to do this for her ... I hope she appreciates it

Oh, she does appreciate it. And she's paying me. Well.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf
In response to cindy312

• cindy312 Said:
  • madmatter Said:

wondering how many pages your planing for the album...

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to Kitty_wOlf

• Kitty_wOlf Said:
  • cindy312 Said:
  • madmatter Said:

wondering how many pages your planing for the album...

She wants about 6 pages per year, so 50ish pages.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics