Username Post: Heat Embossing        (Topic#1573747)
Oreety 
New Kid On the Block

Hi all,

I'm in somewhat of a predicament-- I would love to try out some embossing powders and even found a white one on sale but... I wear oxygen for my health, so a ton of heat particularly with highly flammable product near, is a hazard. So, my question is: can I use embossing powder without heat setting? Are there any heat setters available whose temperature can be controlled and therefore not as dangerous?

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Oreety

It requires heat to set- do you have a flameless oven top? I've heard of people holding the card over the heat to get it to set- but would that be bad, too? I thought it was only something like a spark or open flame- but what do I know, I don't use it!

good luck tho!

-kory

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to designguyKORY

I've also heard of people holding it over a toaster. Might take awhile, but would work!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to Oreety

I can't even pretend to know what you are up against but I have a MS heat gun. When I have my embossing powder down, shaken off and ready to heat, I just have to turn it on for about 30 sec. before it is ready to heat the embossing powder. I keep it away from me and anything I don't want blown away. The outside of the gun does not get hot. It's very fast, then I turn it off. I wondered if it would be scary hot before I ever did it and I'm happy it's not. It sure would be nice if there was a way you could try it out to see if you think it's a problem.

Otherwise, would you consider using this flocking technique instead of heat embossing?.....

Flocking Video
Products Referenced in This Post:

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to CrimsonMama

If it a health risk for you to turn off your oxygen for a few seconds at a time? The heat gun works very quickly especially if you work in small areas. Just a thought.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-14-12 07:24 PM
In response to CrimsonMama

A heat-embossing gun is very directed and doesn't generate much ambient heat, I'd be very comfortable using one around an O2 tank. As long as you're not aiming the gun at your hose, lol.

Heck, have you ever been to Vegas or Reno where you see people dragging their e-tanks around the slots and smoking like chimneys - at the same time?!? A thoughtfully used craft heat tool is nothing.

Edited by stick on 04-14-12 07:26 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Oreety 
New Kid On the Block
In response to stick

Thank you all for your replies, I truly appreciate it. Oxygen in and of itself is not flammable... It's when one couples heat and an accelerant (pretty much anything oil based, so even mineral oil found in daily facial creams would be flammable) that combustion would occur. I may be able to tolerate 39 seconds without the oxygen though...

I've also read over at the forums of SplitCoas that quite a few of them have actually set on fire. Any thoughts? Any specific heat tools you would strongly recommend staying away from? I picked up the Darice Heat tool since it was on sale but read some pretty terrible reviews. As for the suggestion about flocking, I tried and I must be doing something wrong for it looks absolutely dreadful every time I tried!

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5
In response to Oreety

I have a Darice and have had no problems. It seems like the heat is so specifically-directed that it shouldn't be a problem.

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to mrsdriver5

I also have the Darice and I find I only need to keep it on 25-30 seconds at a time. The finer the embossing powder the quicker you'll be able to turn off the heat. MS powder is really fine and it's available in many colors.

Oreety 
New Kid On the Block
In response to MissaOnTheRun

Thank you so much!

Resident
In response to Oreety

heat it from the bottom first that speeds up the melting and stops anything from blowing around it is def a fast process to heat emboss... if you are worried about the blowing of things around teh ranger heat it tool doesnt blow around but it does take a few seconds longer

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics