Page 1 of 5 
Username Post: Cost Per Page        (Topic#1573783)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

When I was in my local scrapbook store not to long ago I bought really pretty paper and kind of kidded, "This page is going to cost me a fortune with everything on it!"

The owner of the store laughed and said that with her customers the average cost they spend on a scrapbook page was $50.00.

I asked her how you can spend $50.00 on a scrap book page and she said, "Nice paper, a couple sheets of cardstock, maybe more papers, ribbons, flowers, embellies, developing photos. She said it isn't hard to hit $50.00 a page.

I've never done a page that cost anywhere close.

My average page is:

$1.00 cardstock (average becuase I often use 2)
$1.00 patterned paper
$4.50 diecuts if I use them
$ .50 photo developing
$2.00 misc items (sometimes flowers, brads.

That is $9.00 and I normally spend more around $4.00-$6.00 per page. Once in a while I may put $15.00 on a page if I've bought a lot of epensive embellies and flowers, but that is rare.

What do you consider the average cost you spend per page and what have you spent on a really special page where you went crazy to make it beautiful?

Not factoring in Cricuts, cartridges, embossing machines, tools, or any other things - just items you bought and put on the page.

I'm curious about this one - $50.00 sounds like a very high average.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Henri Jean

Probably less than $10. $50 is crazy unless you use several entire packages of embellishments and 10 full sheets of cardstock. There's always leftovers and the leftovers aren't worthless. I used to think it was crazy to spend $4 on rub ons or $5 on brads and until I saw how they last FOREVER and I use them on every single LO.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to runzalot81

I can't imagine spending that much on a page, though I'm sure if you add up ALL the money I've spent on scrapping supplies over the years and divided that by all the pages I've made, it wouldn't be a pretty number

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
I can't imagine spending that much on a page, though I'm sure if you add up ALL the money I've spent on scrapping supplies over the years and divided that by all the pages I've made, it wouldn't be a pretty number

What she said!!

momtokatie
Expert
momtokatie
In response to madmatter

I would say $4 to $5, if that. I try to stock up on cardstock when it's on sale, same with embellishments.

The store owner must have some clients that have more money they I do. I love scrapbooking, but there is no way I could afford to do it if I spent that much.

Mr Mister
Veteran
Mr Mister
In response to momtokatie

$50 is outrageous. I insist to mrs Mister that I never go over $49 LOL.

Kidding aside, if you do the math on dollars spent on scrapbooking compared to total pages output per year, she may not be far off for some of us. Henri Jean may be an exception to that because she is a lean mean scrappin' machine who probably scraps more in a month than a lot of us scrap in a year and it matches her sense of adventure in life.

Mrs Mister and I buy almost everything at a discount, between the different deals you can find at the chains and some really good stuff on some of the daily deals websites. I also like to make some of my own embelishments so I probably average with the under $5 a page crowd. Having two of us doing this together we are a bad combination in the stores.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Mr Mister

I suppose I spend about $5 to 6 average especially when I use a lot of flowers and embellishments but I try to make a lot of my own stuff, my biggest problem is that I never have less than 2 or 3 pieces of patterned paper cut up of course I can get several layouts out of 3 sheets of patterned paper because of how I cut it.

3MiniSchnauzers
Idol
3MiniSchnauzers
In response to Sneezy1956

I'd like to see what a $50 page looks like! Does it have diamonds or gold plated embellies on it?!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Sneezy1956

$50 a page seems steep. I've gone to crops at scrapbook stores with only pictures and tools in hand. I usually manage 1 layout per hour, and rarely spend over $20-25 for a 6-hour crop. A 12-hour crop probably costs me $30-35 because I will reuse pieces from earlier pages.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to 3MiniSchnauzers

I thought about that and I think the vintage and heritage pages that are covered in prima flowers and really embellished - I guess I can see how they do it but my top end pages may hit $9.00 or $10.00 but that is rare.

I'm generally in the the $4.00-$6.00 with $5.00 probgably being my average cost.

I will add that I use foreign currency on a lot of mine and I guess I would have to add in the value of the currency but that is one per country.

I laughed in Vietnam when he brought me a piece of currency 20,000 Dong (dong is Vietnamese currency - quit laughing). I hesitate putting a bill in my book that large, then found out it is worth about 90 cents American.

Seems here we are all in about the same range.

One exception - I do buy quite a few full page overlays and those are about $5.00 each so when you add photos and embellies I could hit $9.00 or $10.00.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to 3MiniSchnauzers

Wow, that's crazy!! I like to think I spend about a buck per page! Maybe $2 on some. I buy everything on sale and make most all my own things. So without considering the machines. Dies, adhesives, etc, mine are done pretty cheaply.

scrappnmom2il
Expert
scrappnmom2il
In response to ChansGram

I can't imagine spending $50 on a lo. But then again.... nah! I think I usually spend between $5-10 on a 2 page lo. I buy all my paper on clearance, sale or with a really good coupon. Embellies - same way. Heck, I just got 18 yds of different type ribbon from EBay for $.75 including free shipping. That 's gonna be used for a lot of lo's.

LesleyC
Diva
LesleyC
In response to scrappnmom2il

• scrappnmom2il Said:
I can't imagine spending $50 on a lo. But then again.... nah! I think I usually spend between $5-10 on a 2 page lo. I buy all my paper on clearance, sale or with a really good coupon. Embellies - same way. Heck, I just got 18 yds of different type ribbon from EBay for $.75 including free shipping. That 's gonna be used for a lot of lo's.

Ditto! I buy card stock when it's on sale at As, buy 3 get 3 free, or I buy the cheap packs at Ms that are like $4 or $5 for 20 sheets. I buy most of my PP packs at Marshalls, TJ Maxx or TM, and embellies, I usually get on clearance or with coupons. Probably the biggest expense on my recent layouts have been 8x10 collages for $3.99. So outside of iphotos, I'd be hard pressed to spend more than $2 or $3 on a layout.

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to Luvmyfam

Well, lets see. I'm working on one now that is going to cost me some money.

Card stock - 4 sheets @ 50 cents each
Printed Paper 2 sheets @ 95 cents each
Ribbon - 12" @ 1.00 a yard
Flowers @4.00 a package
Charm @ 4.00 a package
3D Stickers @3.50 a package
paint, ink, etc from stash

That's over $16, however I won't use up all the ribbon, flowers or charms in the package and I'll have some scraps of paper left, but I'll be using brads, adhesive, sprays, inks and paint, etc. from my stash. Get's a little pricey dosen't it. Then again, a lot of my pages cost less than a couple of dollars, so I guess it evens out.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to LesleyC

I have tons of cardstock - literally tons of it! But, seems I never have the right shade so I do run to Michaels frequently to match the color in the photo or embellie or paper. And I pay more for it that way. But if I can use what I have at home that I bought on sale, I always do.

And when I find a cardstock I like I always buy 20 sheets - don't know why. Yes I do know why. Sometimes I will use them consistenly through a country - like all of China was yellow gold with red mats. So many flowers, especially in Beijing were red and yellow.

If I have the right color cardstock and enough of it, I use what I have here. But I frequently have to buy more to get enough of the right color. And since I can't match the cardstock I have at home (may have bought it anywhere, even another state) I have to buy enough for my entire project with plenty left over.

That is my biggest thing I run to the store for at the last minute. Needed 2 sheets of nice white bazzil cardstock last week so I bought 20 and I've used part of it already.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

That's kind of how I feel about it too Kaye. It just shocked me when the lady at the scrapbook store said $50.00 a page average.

I was curious if anyone was really paying that! I just can't imagine.

Even when I put over $10 in a page - some of the stuff is usable again becuase some pieces are left - like brads.

My biggest expense are all the little diecut titles I buy. I love those things.

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to Mother Goose

I spend practically nothing... too bad the pocket book does not reflect that... those darn tools, inks, paints, stamps and such are the spendy thing. (at least they can be reused over and over!) I make my flowers, buy clearance buttons, brads and such and paint them, save boxes to use as chipboard, save fun materials to paint on/over/with and, of course, use coupons!

put me down for $2 as my mean (most often used) and $5 is my typical high amount. Although I have found I enjoy using the nicer cardstock, so I might have to bump it up another $0.50 lol

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli

• Henri Jean Said:
That's kind of how I feel about it too Kaye. It just shocked me when the lady at the scrapbook store said $50.00 a page average.

average means that sometimes they can spend even more to make up for when they spend less! crazy people

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Rushli

I agree that $50 is a lot. My range is probably $6-18CAN, with the average about $10.

For instance:

2-4 pieces of cs - $0.75/each
2-5 peices of PP - $0.99 - $2/each
Some kind of embellies - $2-6/each
Then adhesive, stickles, brads, ect - $0.50-$1
Photo printing (at home) - $0.45/each

Maybe she's factoring in time and wear and tear on equipment or something....

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to Scrapbook Queen

well if we take everything we purchase and divide it between the number of pages we've completed,

ummmmmmmm

I'm DEEP DOGGIE DOO DOO!!!

Page 1 of 5 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics