Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Getting back into it..        (Topic#1573837)
KaybeeBitters
Guru
KaybeeBitters

So I've been a scrapper since 2002, but since around 2008 I feel a bit overwhelmed with it and I'm SOOOO behind now its not even funny. I'd really like to at least finish my daughters first year scrapbook. Every time I think about doing a page, it just feels like I have SO many supplies and it makes such a HUGE mess that I dont want to pull it all out. I'm sure the answer is better organization, somehow, but wondering if anyone had any tips/suggestions. I'm 5 years behind in my yearly family albums and only about half way through my daughters first year book (she was born in '09).

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to KaybeeBitters

You have described my situation! I find the best way for me is to scrap current stuff, or scrap photos that I want. I go back and play "catch up" in between. I will be catching up forever, but at least I am scrapping and I am enjoying what I scrap.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Luvmyfam

I agree - current stuff first while the memories are so fresh!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Henri Jean

For me the easiest way to not get overwhelmed is to not try and catch up. When I look at everything I have to do it takes the mojo right out of me. I have photos I absolutely want to scrap in a box sorted by year and one stack of photos for the big event I want to get done, for me it iscmy wedding. When I sit down to scrap I flip through photos, wedding first, until I find one that I am really feeling. If I try to force a photo to work then I find I don't line the page as much as I would otherwise. And if no photos work I pull out a mini or cards. Since going this route I have found I am less stressed about scrapping and can fully enjoy the time playing

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to MrsAnnieS

sometimes I think we forget that scrapping is supposed to be a hobby and not a chore

who cares if you're behind? scrap whatever you feel like scrapping and put the rest into photo albums

and have fun

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
sometimes I think we forget that scrapping is supposed to be a hobby and not a chore

who cares if you're behind? scrap whatever you feel like scrapping and put the rest into photo albums

and have fun

Perfectly said. Hobbies shouldn't feel like a job.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to madmatter

For me it is completely the opposite. I think it all depends on our personality type.

I love the feeling of satisfaction of being caught up - it just makes me feel good and smile.

I'm a goal oriented person, but that is my personality and I would go bananas if I weren't and not do anything.

I have goals so when we are ready to go on another trip, the scrap book for the trip we took before it is complete. There are some pages I love to scrap and some that I'm not that crazy about but I want the memoris documented.

I scrap chronologically and that way and its rewardding to me - right now I'm tired of the ones I'm working on but the new ones I will start today will be worth it.

I like having all our trips in the scrapbooks. When we went to Germany in 2010, my son and his then fiance (now wife) came to visit a few months later and I was very disappointed it wasn't all scrapped. Now it is my goal not to get that far behind again.

Now I do not like to be behind at all - and when we get old and can't travel anymore I want to be able to relive all our trips in books, not in boxes. My oldest son wants all my scrapbooks and iI want them to be complete for them.

I love scrapbooking. If I don't have goals I loose interest in projects and don't complete them. But I enjoy working on my pages just as much as anyone else and that is what I want to do. But being caught up does not take the joy out of it, it just inspires me to stay caught up.

That said, I have my daddy's WWII book to do but I think my son is going to do that one for me because he will do a better job.

I have both of my kid's baby photo albums to do so I keep current with the recent stuff - when I have spare time, I go back and do the older stuff.

I have a lot of friends who love scrapbooking but it is their goal to stay caught up. Nearly everyone I know at the crops gets overwhlemed if they get behind and they try to keep up and enjoy it more when they aren't overwhelmed.

You also have to look at the life situation of the person as well as the personality type. I am retired and have all the time in the world when we aren't travelling. I have no kids at home - one adult son next door. My husband spends most of his days on his license plate hobby. I can scrap all I want when we are in town.

I don't see how there is anyone who works full time or has small children or even both can keep caught up. I could not have when my children were small. But there are times in life when you can later on. I'm at that place now.

I do not do any other crafts or hobbies. I hate doing cards and haven't done one in years. I do not sew, knit, or crochet or do anything else craft-wise and have no interest in doing so.

If I died tomorrow I want my husband to be able to have the completed scrapbooks. It is important to me. I don't want to leave him uncompleted trips that aren't scrapped. I want him to have the memories in the books so he can re-live the trips with me.

But that isn't the way everyone scraps and that is okay.

There was a thread on here before - do you stay caught up and I was amazed at how many of us do stay or try to stay caught up. It is important to us. But not to everyone.

I hate going on another trip and come home to find the stuff from a previous trip not scrapped yet. Also, I journal a lot and have to scrap while the memories are fresh.

The best way to keep from being overwhelmed is to organize what you are going to do. If my stuff is not organized, I will be overwhelmed and not get anything done.

For my wedding I broke it down to stacks - before the ceremony, during ceremony, friends and family, dinner afterwards - there were about 20 files. The were put in manilla file folders and I stand them in a metal file organizer (one of those desktop things) and do them in order. I"m not overwhelmed because I am doing little bunches.

Right now I have my choronoligical file of scrap projets. I can look at my stand up metal file on my file cabinet and see what the next thing is I will be scrapping - next is Halloween on the ship, then Jakarta Indonesia, Borobudur in Samorang Indonesia, Bali Indonesia, a day at sea, Exmouth Australia, Perth/Freemantl Australia, Melbourne Australia, the Melbourne zoo, Sydney Australia, Hawaii (very few pictures becuase we are there twice a year), meeting new granddaughter, my son's wedding (only about 10 pictures) Christmas, Back to Hawaii for a month (lots of pictures becuase we took our son for the first time and saw everything again - when I get there I'll break it down into about 20 files), then the trip to South Florida and the Everglades.

THe files are in order and some of the papers and embellies are even in the files. I just pick them out of the file one at a time and do them.

Everyone is different. It does not take the joy or fun out of it for me to scrap chronologically and keep up. It give me a challenge against myself and keeps me on a roll It is one of the things I enjoy about scrapping. And I do the ones tht aren't as much fun instead of just picking out the really cool ones to do.

My husbands daughter and her son will be here in 2 weeks and I really want to have throught he cruise part done so Bill can show them our trip.

But the books to be done on our relationship when we were kids and both of my baby books for my kids - I will do those when I am caught up with my recents file, hopefully by the middle of June. That gives me a month to do all that is on my plate and that is not unreasonble for me.

Then if I have time, I'll start on the baby books.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to kelseymel

I was in the same boat about 2 years ago and it was really frustrating that I just couldn't get back into it, but I did, it took time and just making sure if I ever did feel like it to seize the moment and slowly I started to get interested again. Maybe try some challenges....

• kelseymel Said:
  • madmatter Said:

and have fun

Perfectly said. Hobbies shouldn't feel like a job.

I agree with this too!

I found it does help to start with the most current like others said.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam

A friend of mine was feeling this way and made a change. When she was far behind, she used page protectors with multi pockets, put the photos in some of he pockets and in the other slots she "scrapped" 4x6 cards with some photos that were smaller and some journaling. It looks amazing and it's a ton faster. She got caught up that way by doing that for her more mundane pages and trips but she also would do " real " pages 12x12 for the more special parts.

She mixed it all in several albums and it looks amazing. I am thinking of doing this for our family reunion trip to Disney with hubby's family.

I hope that helps.

Here is a look at what I am talking about. My friend does not post here so I found something in the gallery that looks right. I hope that is ok.

Multi slot page protector scrapped

Edited by PhotobearSam on 04-17-12 06:18 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

mstasha
Veteran
mstasha

I completely understand where you are coming from. I just started scrapping again after a 2 year "break" for the same exact reasons. I knew how far behind I was (I have 3 kids I want albums for, plus a wedding album and a family album). I would just go down to my room and just couldn't get the energy to dig it all out. I work and have 3 kids ages 8,6,and 2 at home so free time is not much of a luxury for me. So the thought of tackling one more thing just exhausted me. But I found this website the first of the year and it really helped me get motivated again. I found new products I'd never seen before and were anxious to try. I also came to peace with the fact that there is no rush or really any timeline. I do want my kids to have their albums when they leave home, and I will get there, but I am doing this to enjoy it and not for it to feel like a chore. It will get done when it gets done. I jump around as the mood strikes me when I scrapbook. I have gotton up to age 5 for my oldest, about age 2 for my second and haven't even started on my son. I will come up with an idea for a LO or a project and do it right then while it is still fresh. Not necessarily when the photo is fresh. This week I came across my kids baby hats, booties and hospital bracelets and decided to make shadowboxes to hold those items. Anyhow the point is, don't feel like you HAVE to do it, do it because you want to. It's not going anywhere and chances are you will never be "caught up" so just enjoy it as you do it.

Kitty_wOlf
Guru
Kitty_wOlf

I think can relate some what. I've only been a scrapper since 2005- but around 2009 I got overwelmed as well as folded with finishing my B.A.

I just start about a week and a half ago. I actally started a new album. it give's me that "new" kinda of feeling with out really buying anything. a new concepet, idea and a new wind in general.

I would go with a simple projects, layout sketchs and sraplifiting. worked for me.

allso I finally decided to use my paper scraps. and i made 29 cards!!

mstasha
Veteran
mstasha
In response to PhotobearSam

• PhotobearSam Said:
A friend of mine was feeling this way and made a change. When she was far behind, she used page protectors with multi pockets, put the photos in some of he pockets and in the other slots she "scrapped" 4x6 cards with some photos that were smaller and some journaling. It looks amazing and it's a ton faster. She got caught up that way by doing that for her more mundane pages and trips but she also would do " real " pages 12x12 for the more special parts.

She mixed it all in several albums and it looks amazing. I am thinking of doing this for our family reunion trip to Disney with hubby's family.

I hope that helps.

Here is a look at what I am talking about. My friend does not post here so I found something in the gallery that looks right. I hope that is ok.

Multi slot page protector scrapped

Wow I really like that idea. Not just for catching up, but for including more photos into the album. I always have a ton of pics but only seem to scrap the important ones and this would be a good way to add some extra pics into the book of each event.

KaybeeBitters
Guru
KaybeeBitters
In response to mstasha

Great ideas guys. I guess I will start by printing some Easter pix, because I sure got some GREAT ones and all those memories are super fresh. I know if I can just pull the stuff out, maybe get organized and set up again I will get interested again. Anyone have an album on pinterest for scrapbook ideas I could go follow? I know there's the gallery here, but I'm always on pinterest anyway.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mstasha

I love that idea and I bought some of the pages like that but when I put them with my scrapbook pages they were bigger and stuck out too much so I ended up taking them out and just scrapping them regularly. I really wanted to do that for pages with a lot of pictures. I guess I have to get the pages out and work on it and try to figure out how to make it work so the pages are even on the edge so the sleeved pages don't stick out further than the page protectors. Any ideas? I really want to do that.

I was caught up last fall with everything done except for the baby's books and I don't know if I'll ever get to those. It really felt good. I took the extra weeks to really clean my house and do do other things. Was really nice being caught up. Didn't last long though.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Okay - just got the sleeves with the 4 x 6 pockets out and they fit perfectly in my books! They are about 3/8's or so less wide than the regular ones.

I don't know why it came out so funky last time I measured - don't know what I was doing but it is going to work.

Thank you Samantha! I have zoo pictures in Melbourne Australia and temple pictures in Borobudur that will work that way. Probably other things too! Will save time and I like the way it looks.

mstasha
Veteran
mstasha

Which brand did you end up getting, Henri?

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam

Think I have to thank the op. I now want to use these in my disney book. I can't believe I had kind of forgotten about these. Now off to shop.

Henri. No problem. I even inspired myself.

Dear OP. I hope you get back into it. We are. Here for support.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to mstasha

I use We R Memory keepers pages that are divided different ways to intersperse through my regular pages and love the way they work. I took 2 years off and never felt completed but was over whelmed now I'm back and scraping more than ever.

I think we just need that break sometimes and doing the pages that hav ethe pockets really helps.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Sneezy1956

Yes, I was going to suggest what Samantha did...use the multi pocket page protectors like in Project Life. You can vary the page protectors, use some multi pocket ones and some plain ones with full page LOs....
Also, another idea is to use the 6x12 page protectors in between full layouts for extra photos.

I also agree with pp that said this is supposed to be fun! I started doing my son's books when he was almost 2 so I was behind and am still behind. I tried to do everything chronologically until I realized that there is no rule that says I have to do it that way! So I started doing some more current stuff because that's what was interesting me. Now, I go back and do some pages for my son in between but I work on what I feel like doing in the moment.
I find that I am getting much more done this way because at least I'm getting something
done....who cares what order it gets done in?
Good Luck and try to have fun with it....have a look at some pages in the gallery and just scraplift something that appeals to you, even if it's not for your child's first year book....
Alison

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
You have described my situation! I find the best way for me is to scrap current stuff, or scrap photos that I want. I go back and play "catch up" in between. I will be catching up forever, but at least I am scrapping and I am enjoying what I scrap.

This is usually what I do. Another rule I follow is no themed albums for 12 x 12 or 8 1/2 x 11, themes go into mini albums where I can use the same colors, themed paper, etc....

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics