Username Post: Nesties Help!        (Topic#1573853)
Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222

So because of the Nesties thread (and the beautiful projects made with them, thank you Holly ), I decided that yes, I DO need Nesties!

I ordered a few and while waiting for them to arrive, my LSS had a today only BOGO free sale! I bought 4 and rushed home to try them out.

I have a Big Shot and followed the sandwich instructions in the Nesties folder. It cut perfectly. Then I followed the embossing sandwich instructions and fail fail fail.

Not only did it not emboss evenly around the whole shape, but it actually cut into my brand spanking new rubber mat! I thought that might happen since the instructions say to put the mat on top of the cutting ridge (with the cut out inside), but figured I was safe following the manufacturers instruction.

I even tried putting 2 pieces of cardstock in between the die and the mat, and although it didnt cut the mat as bad as the first try, it still cut into it.

I love that the dies are so thin, making them easy to center over an image before cutting, but its the added embossing that I think gives them that little extra.

Can somebody please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Kim222

Were you using the tan Spellbinders mat, or the red Sizzix crease pad?

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to aquabunny

I don't know for sure, but I know that when I use my tan rubber mat, it always cuts into it. I've been embossing with that sucker for ages and it's still usable. The cut it makes is very shallow. Of course, I am also using an old Big Red. Now that I've got the Grand Calibur, too, I need to pull it out more!

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to aquabunny

• aquabunny Said:
Were you using the tan Spellbinders mat, or the red Sizzix crease pad?

Hmmmm.....neither. I used the Sizzix rubber mat...could that be why?? I just figured it was pretty much the same as the tan Spellbinders mat....
Products Referenced in This Post:

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to siameseplease

• siameseplease Said:
I don't know for sure, but I know that when I use my tan rubber mat, it always cuts into it. I've been embossing with that sucker for ages and it's still usable. The cut it makes is very shallow. Of course, I am also using an old Big Red. Now that I've got the Grand Calibur, too, I need to pull it out more!

So the cutting is normal then?! OK--thanks for saving it from the garbage

3MiniSchnauzers
Idol
3MiniSchnauzers
In response to Kim222

I have the big shot also and I use the tan spellbinders embossing mat and it doesn't cut into it when I emboss.
Products Referenced in This Post:

MrsSugarBear
Guru
MrsSugarBear
In response to 3MiniSchnauzers

I use the black silicone mat for when I use the texturz plates and the tan silone mat for when I'm embossing with the dies.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to 3MiniSchnauzers

• 3MiniSchnauzers Said:
I have the big shot also and I use the tan spellbinders embossing mat and it doesn't cut into it when I emboss.

really? If you look at my embossing mat, it has little white marks all over it that are in the shape of the dies. Like I said, though, I was using Big Red. Still Sizzix but not the same machine.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Kim222

• Kim222 Said:
  • siameseplease Said:

So the cutting is normal then?! OK--thanks for saving it from the garbage

Well, I guess it depends on how much it's cutting. The cuts in mine are really shallow and look like little white marks more than anything else. Again, though, I have the old style Sizzix that I call "big red."

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to siameseplease

I use the GC and have no cutting into the tan Spellbinders mat.

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Here Kitty

Thanks for all the input!! I'll get the tan mats now and see how that works.

pwiswell
Veteran
pwiswell
In response to Kim222

I have been reading all of the posts here and taking them all in. I recently purchased a grand calibur and have just started cutting and embossing. I have noticed that when I cut, it leaves the imprint of the design on the white cutting plate. Does anyone else find this is the case or am I doing something wrong.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to pwiswell

that's perfectly normal, PW,,,,,

and you are so very welcome, Kim Always happy to enab----er help.

scarlet864
Veteran
scarlet864
In response to CommaHolly

Does anyone else have issues with cutting with really intricate dies? I've added a thick cardstock shim and ran the die through my Cuttlebug several times, and it will cut the exterior of the die, but only make little indentations of the interior of the die. I don't have this problem with scallops, lacey ovals, etc., only with the Fleur de Lis squares and a dress form die from La-La Land crafts. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics