Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: So angry I am steaming!        (Topic#1573871)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I just spent 2 hours gluing down the first page of my Halloween layout on the cruise ship. I had it exactly the way I wanted it.

Slipped it in a protector to see how it is going to look and it sticks up 1/2" over the top. Maybe more. How did that happen.

Turned the layout over. The bottom has the UPC strip. Thanks a lot BasicGrey. How about putting it on the front like almost everyone else so you can see it, not scrap over it!

I used ATG and other permanent glues so I can't do it over. What a mess that would be. I used irreplaceable paper, embellies and letters.

The only thing I could do was cut the strip off the back and now the bottom of one of the pictures and the mat is whacked off with the top spaced perfectly. Probably about $6 in this page but I can't do it over like it was - and I don't want to buy the materials again.

Why, oh why is the UPC strip not on the front so it jumps out at you and you don't make this mistake?

When I was scrapping Italy I did about 25 pages and used cardstock for background. After I did all my pages and photographed them, I put them in sleeves and they were all too tall! Turned them over. The cardstock had a UPC strip along the bottom. It took me longer to fix them all (I was using repositional mounting squares then) than it did to do the 25 pages the first time around! I had to crop pictures and mats and resize everything to make the pages work!

Now I avoid that brand of cardstock and will not purchase it. When I buy papers in the store if the UPC strip is on the back I put it back, even on patterned paper because I don't want to risk messing up again.

Well, it did happen again. I'm not a happy camper this minute.

BasicGrey - I love your papers, but couldn't you put the UPC strip on the front so we don't accidently forget about it and make our layouts on that part of the paper, only to find out we ruined your beautiful designer paper and wasted all our embelies and our time and work?

Please, do not tell me I am the only one dumb enough to have done this. If I am, I'll get off my soapbox.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT
In response to Henri Jean

Is there no way to trim the top?

eclecticstuff
Resident
eclecticstuff

I did the same thing last week! Grrrr

Fortunately, I was able to trim the top to get it to fit in the page protector. My title is now closer to the edge than I would like but I didn't loose the layout to my mistake.

Normally I like to use that extra strip but last week I had some not so nice words for BG about it.

Sorry to hear you did it too. Hope you can find a way to salvage things.

Hope you don't mind I jumped in on this.

~Carolyn

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to eclecticstuff

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. They should put it on the front of the paper! I know I'd make that mistake if I Had that kind of paper. Better check the paper I just bought.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to eclecticstuff

I agree, Basic Gray requires a bit of extra thought and planning, when making the cut.

However, personally, I spend a good amount of time oohing and aahing over the paper I buy before I use it so I get a good idea of which ones require that extra thought. To me, it's all about the planning process. I'm incapable of just grabbing a piece of paper from my stash and going to town -- cardstock and pp alike.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to MommaSaid

I just flip the paper over and make sure that there is a strip. Most paper does have a UPC strip on the bottom.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to MommaSaid

aren't most of their papers double sided?? which side would be the front??

regardless, I can't STAND those strips,,,,,,they drive me nuts!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to NMlady

Just checked all my new paper. UPC strip on both sides of doubled sided and the front on single sided.

chocolateaxel
Diva
chocolateaxel
In response to Manda_K

If it was 1/2" too tall, could you trim 1/4" off the top and bottom to keep things even?
Almost all the BG paper I have is double-sided, was this paper not? Cuz first thing I thought of was "how do you decide which side is the front on double-sided papers", LOL
I'm like Manda, seems like 99% of papers now have the strip so I automatically flip it to make sure it does or doesn't before I begin.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to chocolateaxel

I always check, too. G45 and Canvas Corp have the strip on the top, BBP has a smaller strip than others and some of those cheapie papers from the big box stores have actual stickers on the back.

It's enough to make a gal crazy.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to NMlady

This was a Halloween paper I bought several years ago and was so excited to be able to use it!

I don't mind the bar strip - it just needs to be on both sides. I checked all my other designer papers and it does show on both sides!

The top has an angled picture which touches the top of the page and if I trim that it will affect embellies. I played with it every way possible covering up parts and the bottom was the less offensive of the choices.

I'm using different paper on a different layout now - Echo Park and they printed the strip so you know it no matter which side you use.

Last night I laid out about 20 pages of Hallween paper on the table and opened my big book of embellies and went to the Halloween page and then placed my pictures around. Worked on it for hours - knew exactly how I wanted it to look and I'm really happy with it - except for the piece I cut off the bottom.

I think the reason they only put it on one side is so when it is in the store the one side it is on is the one they consider the back side so when it is in the rack you see the paper, not the bar. I don't care. If it has to have a bar, put it on both sides!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

When I first started working on scrapbooks I cut the strips off before I filed the paper away so I never had to check as I scrapped. Then when I needed more or someone asked me what it was I didn't have a clue so I quit doing that.

I'm used to the strips showing on both sides, not just one side and it really threw me.

Maybe they planned for the side I used to be the back side but it was perfect for my layout to use at the front!

Carolyn - sorry it happened to you last week. You sound like you are as frustrated as I am.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I do think if they are going to put it on double sided paper, it should be on BOTH sides,,,,,,,

because really,,,,,,,,WHICH is the front???

put it on both! geesh.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to CommaHolly

Those strips drive me crazy for multiple reasons. 1, that they're there at all 2, that most of them have to be trimmed off. Why don't you PERFORATE them and save me the hassle?! I've seen some that was perforated, but not all are.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Tina scraps

eh, the ones that are perforated never tear straighgt

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper

What I've found that drives me crazy is if I go trim at 12", it always leaves a little of the strip. I always have to go a little deeper to get it all off.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Even the perforated I cut off with my paper trimmer. I am not very crafty coordinated and I rip and tear things easily. Most things your normal 3rd grader can do with paper and scissors - some of my work and skills would embarrass any of them.

Now I'm working on page 5 and 6 of my layout and its Teresa Collins - she also printed on both sides so there is no chance of it being overlooked.

I worked for hours last night and so I was just down to matting and gluing today. I usually do that at crops but I wanted this to be really precise and knew these 6 pages would take 30 minutes to an hour each to glue to get it like I wanted it. It is not like my standard travel pages which I can crank out all day.

Edited by Henri Jean on 04-18-12 09:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SoonerT
Governor
SoonerT

HJ, I haven't always remembered to look for that strip when starting my layouts, this will help remind me in the future. I am sorry you had to cut your layout.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl

I usually take a few seconds to flip it over to check before using it. Even with Bazzill I have to check to see if there is a sticker on the back or a printed bar on the back, so I can take care of it accordingly before starting. I make sure to check on the brands that I've previously run into with these strips, but tend to check them all since you just never know.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to angie girl

I normally check too but last night my selection process was a little different.

I pulled about 10 different papers for Halloween. Then I looked at both sides to see which was better for the layouts so I had looked at both sides.

I laid the choices out - face up on the side I had selected.

When I picked what went best with my photos I played with my photos on it and then bought it in my scraproom and started putting it together.

I never turned it over again after when I picked the side I liked best on all of them so I had forgotten about the little strip.

WHen I go through my stash and pick and match I do check both sides, but this time I had already checked so I didn't look at it again. I got so excited with how perfect it was - I just never flipped it over again.

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics