Username Post: help with crackle paint please        (Topic#1573959)
tam7
tam7 
Expert
tam7
  • tam7 on 04-21-12 01:35 AM

I'm wanting to make a clock for myself and I want to give it an 'aged' look by using white (picket fence) crackle paint and normal black paint, what I want to do is allow the black paint to show through the crackle paint but I'm not 100% sure on how I can achieve this...do I paint the clock black first then add the crackle paint or apply the black paint after the crackle paint has dried and if so how do I apply the black paint so it only goes in the cracks? ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated ladies.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to tam7

Apply a THICK coat of the white crackle and let it dry completely ... the coat should be like mayo or peanut butter in thickness. It takes a long time to dry, but once it starts to crackle, you can use a heat gun to speed up the process. Then use black soot distress ink in all the cracks ... really work it in there and I think you will get the effect you are looking for.

Tim Holtz has a tutorial on his site that shows this exact technique (that's where I learned how to do it).

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to madmatter

Yes, I have some and it's very thick. Watching the video was a HUGE help to me. I would be so lost on some of these products if it was not for YouTube!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to CrimsonMama

I watched my first Tim Holtz video yesterday, not a good thing to do. Don't have a need for any of his products for anyting I'm doing now but I think I could be addicted to just watching his videos!

gine
gine 
Veteran
gine
  • gine on 04-21-12 08:00 PM
In response to NMlady

Yes use Black sooth Distress ink (use the reinker) instead of the black paint. Water it out a bit so it seeps in to the crackles easy

tam7
tam7 
Expert
tam7
  • tam7 on 04-24-12 01:23 AM
In response to gine

thanks so much ladies I really appreciate all of this

jenniferjfletcher
Governor
jenniferjfletcher
In response to tam7

yes-I would paint the white first then let it dry-then go over it with TH black distress ink. It will give an aged look!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics