Username Post: Punches        (Topic#1573961)
babigirl
Governor
babigirl

So I have never used a punch before yeah I know crazy me lol. I want to start using them I want to know if anybody have any suggestion on any good punches to use

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to babigirl

Martha Stewart punches are my absolute favorite, especially the around the page border ones. They punch very smoothly and make beautiful, clean cuts. I know others like the EK success ones and the Lucky 8 punches (which are HUGE) are also popular.

Think about what you want to use the punches for and how you will store them. Like all supplies, they can become very addictive once you get started, so build your stash slowly and use coupons.

Have fun!

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to madmatter

I agree, Mad- Martha's punches are my favorite. I also like the way they look. I'm shallow, I guess. But they do always work.

I also love the EK Success punches. I love the way they lock closed/flat, too.

Whatever you do- never fall for one of those one dollar punches, no matter how much you think 'it's only a dollar and I need something that makes a little star or paw print or whatever.' They'll never work. lol

-k

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to designguyKORY

Well then we're both shallow Kory, cause I LOVE the way the MS punches line up all nice and neat on my desk (though they are starting to breed, and they are taking over more than their allotted space )

TFCasper
Veteran
TFCasper
In response to madmatter

MARTHA STEWART!

Sorry I got excited. I also Love Martha Stewart punches. They are the best I have ever used, they always work, and there are so many designs that are perfect for whatever you have in mind. If Martha doesn't make it, you probably don't need it.

That being said, her punches are made by EK Success, so if you do buy any other punches, theirs are probably the next best.

Edited by TFCasper on 04-21-12 06:08 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to TFCasper

I like stampin up punches too

Edited by Scrapbook Queen on 04-21-12 06:08 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Scrapbook Queen

Martha Stewart by far is my favorite! Although I recently started using knockout punches at work and I'm a big fan of how they are interchangeable a lot of good basic boarder punches come in the starter kit

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to MrsAnnieS

Have to agree with the others and vote for Martha Stewart. So far I only have one, but I am checking for new ones!

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to elsje2

I have a few MS punches, also EK Success, Fiskars and Marvy Uchida (from Ms)....
Love punches for the ease and quickness of getting a shape.
I have a circle and square shape that I use a lot, as well as a MS punch balloon shape that I use a ton on birthday layouts. I like punching out of double sided sticky paper and then using glitter on the punched out shape, especially on those balloons I mentioned.....
I also love the border punches! My current fav is the EK Success flower burst one....
Be careful, once you get one, you just want more and more and more.....

Alison

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to kiyawinn

I love the squeeze handle punches by Fiskars. They are good for my arthritic fingers and have a lifetime guarantee. I would suggest a few basic punches to get started... a scalloped circle or square or an oval. Perhaps a nice flower or two. My 2nd favorite are EK success. Stampin up has nice punches but the cost is prohibitive for my budget. With shipping, one can easily cost nearly 40 dollars. I try to watch Michaels and Hobby Lobby for a sale on the Fiskars punches. When they are 40% off they are an excellent price. Happy punching.

babigirl
Governor
babigirl
In response to pinkpaperairedale

thanks ladies

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-21-12 09:47 AM
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Corners and borders are the most useful, imo. The Fiskars ones that AREN'T squeeze handles are a small pain in the butt to use but they have great designs. Martha Stewart corner rounder punch is a basic that I use a lot (although it's not in the store here), and the Paper Shapers below are also excellent - I love having multiple sizes.

The ones that fully punch out a chained shape are fun, too.

babigirl
Governor
babigirl
In response to stick

So i have one more question and i know it's going to sound slow how exactly do u use the punches?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-21-12 09:57 AM
In response to babigirl

Are you asking how one actually uses a punch to cut a shape? There's a slot to slide your paper into, and then you squeeze the punch and it cuts the shape. It's obvious once you have one in your hand.

Or are you asking how to use the shape once it's been punched out? In which case:

These are from a circle punch, I used foam dimensional adhesive to raise them up off the card
Birthday card By Stick

For the journalling block here I printed my journalling on cardstock and used the Fiskars Notebook border punch on the side (then inked the edges).
Garlic Fries! By Stick

babigirl
Governor
babigirl
In response to stick

thanks stick

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to babigirl

I actually love the older fiskars that have the squeeze handle some of thee martha stewards make my hands hurt. I have really bad arthritis in my hands so I have to be careful that I can squeeze them

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to Sneezy1956

when you have punches, periodically you should punch them in aluminum foil and wax paper. the foil helps keep them sharp. the wax paper helps keep it from rubbing or catching. it helps a lot.

Judes4
Judes4 
Veteran
Judes4
In response to Lamoo12

I second this recommendation. This is a really handy punch to have when I'm making fast pages and want something circular instead of only angular pictures. And, I think it is the biggest circular punch around.

Marvy Uchida - Clever Lever Craft Punch - Giga - Circle - Three Inches

Edited by Judes4 on 04-23-12 02:17 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

grandmamichelf
Veteran
grandmamichelf
In response to Judes4

I love my MS punches. Love that the ends fold up on some of them and that they all stand up like little soldiers in a row just waiting to do my bidding...er, punching.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics