Username Post: Anywhere hole punch        (Topic#1573985)
michelley2002
Resident
michelley2002

I have a Making Memories Anywhere Hole Punch and one of the tips (which I use all the time) has become dull. I have to hit it with the hammer really hard and several times and it still doesn't always make the hole. I have tried to punch it through tim foil in hopes it would make it sharper with no luck. Does anyone know of any whay to make this sharper or am I out of luck and going to have to buy a new one?

Thanks!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to michelley2002

Oh, its been a long time since I used one of those, but has it clogged up where the paper goes when it is punched out. The tip is open and paper gets stuck inside. Take a needle or some other sharp tool to un-clog and see if it works again. I hope you can fix it.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-21-12 08:02 PM
In response to Mother Goose

The tips of this type of tool eventually bend enough that they can no longer cut - a faster or slower process depending on the type of material you're striking it on, but you can't avoid it and will eventually have to replace the tool. Just the nature of the beast. Sharpening is not an option given the size and shape of the hole. Luckily they're cheap. Although you may want to consider getting a big Cropadile instead, it will last longer

Thaiti30
Expert
Thaiti30

You might want to try the crop-a-dile. It does not make any noise and it cuts through metal, cardstock, acrlyic, paper, and so much more. I hope this helped you out.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Thaiti30

I second the big Crop-A-Dile! I love it! I use it more than any other tool, it seems. I'm always needing to punch a hole in something.

-k

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to designguyKORY

My Crop-A-Dile gets a good workout too, although I go in stages. I use it a lot and put it away and completely forget about it. Then I open that bin looking for something and stumble across it - you can tell when that happens becuase eyelets show up in a lot of layouts until I put it away and its forgotten again. Until I stumble across it and fall in love with it all over again.

michelley2002
Resident
michelley2002
In response to Henri Jean

I figured I'd have to buy a new one, ugh.

About the Crop-a-Dile...does it work anywhere on the page or do I have to get the big one in order to do that? Is it easy to use? It kind of looks big and clunky which is why I never really looked at it before.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

Get the big one and it's very easy to use. I love mine.

Use a coupon and the price isn't so bad.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to kelseymel

I highly recommend the Martha Stewart Screw Punch. It's easy to use, comes with 3 different size interchangeable tips, and can punch holes anywhere on a page. It's quiet and you don't need a hammer. Just press down on it and it's done.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Solitaire

I think this is it. It's on sale for $3.00 on mm website.

http://shop.makingmemories.com/category_s/63.htm?search...

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to SherylEb

The Crop-O-Dile is awesome. It took me about 5 minutes to figure it out but it is so easy and quiet. Really recommend it. The larger one will go anywhere on the page.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

Crop-a-Dile is also HUGE!

I LOVE my anywhere hole punch set (I have the hole punch and eyelet setting tools in an eyeglass case). It fits nicely in my tote- versus that humongous crop-a-dile.
As stated, it does get clogged up with bits of paper. I use an exacto knife to dig out the paper.

Making Memories has awesome customer service. They may replace it, or let you know how to get a new tip?

Another suggestion is go to a hardware store and get a hollow punch set. I got a set of 9 punches, pretty cheap at Harbor Feight tools.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Bxr-Linda

Crop-O-Dile is big! I carry it and tons of brads and eyelets in a 12 x 12 carrier and it fits right in my wagon, but it is not a small device.

Its wonderful but it isn't small!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

Linda has a good point. I don't travel to scrap, but if I did the C-O-D would be a little cumbersome.

michelley2002
Resident
michelley2002
In response to kelseymel

I ended up buying another Making Memories Punch. They were on clearance at Michael's for $3.99. It works out actually because now I have the two tips I use the most on two different rods and I don't have to switch. I looked at the Crop-a-Dile and it was more expensive than I am able to invest at this point.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

If you love it at that price you should stick with it no matter your budget.

The Crop A Dile is BIG but it is one serious punch. I got mine 40% off. If you deside you want it, wait for a sale or have a coupon for sure.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CrimsonMama

My Crop A Dile is one of my tools that I cannot be without! As much as I use it, its really been worth it to me and it's big but I still throw it in my wagon and take it to crops. The size is not a problem for me.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

I don't mind that it is big and the case makes it tuck away nicely. I like it that it is quiet! I totally thought it was going to make some LOUD CRUNCHing sound but it really does not. Good thing since I burn the midnight or later oil sometimes!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics