Username Post: Mold on my scrapbook pages :/        (Topic#1574001)
New Kid On the Block

There is a maroon-ish colored mold on almost all my scrapbooks. It's not on anything but the pages and some of the things on the pages. I've tried looking on the internet for anyhting, and I'm having no luck
Here's the best picture I could get of it. I have no clue what it is, and was hoping someone here might :/
Help me out please! Its getting worse and worse and starting to damage cards and certificates

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to cuddlefish

Oh NO! Hopefully, someone here will be able to help you!

Where do you store your stuff? What kind of glue do you use?

You're probably going to have to throw that stuff out

rockmom
Governor
rockmom
In response to runzalot81

ack! so sorry, and I second Alissa, you will mist likely need to toss the mold infested items.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to rockmom

Forget most likely... your options are to keep it and keep the mold or toss it. I would scan everything or take pictures before I threw it away. I would also take no chances and toss pages that look good but came into contact with the moldy pages.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to moxiegirl23

Are you sure it is mold? I've never seen maroon mold before.

If it is mold I would photograph or photocopy everything and get the stuff with mold out of the house.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Henri Jean

I used to store them on a shelf in my living room, then we added on to our hose, so i kept them in our attic for a few moths, and after we finished the house I've been keeping them upstairs on shelves.
I use rubber cement and a little bit of elmer's regular glue. I tried searching to see if maybe those would cause mold, but once again, no luck ( I don't know, maybe i just stink at searching for things on the internet haha).
:/ really not wanting to throw things out, but I suppose I gonna have to :/

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to cuddlefish

You poor thing! If it is mold then the attic is likely the culprit. You live where there is alot of humidity and that will do it.

Do you have photoshop? Or even Windows Live Photo will let you edit out the spots, if you scan them to your computer.

When we moved to Atlanta from Seattle, I made sure that my husband rented a climate controlled storage unit, otherwise a lot of things could have been ruined.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to CrimsonMama

Rubber Cement is very acidic and not meant for scrapbooking. That may be the discoloration you're seeing.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama

Wait, you are right, Some glues will discolor and get a brownish look. Maybe that's it?

Expert
In response to CrimsonMama

I don't think it's mold--I've had similar looking spots in books before (not the scrapbooks I've made, but older books that have had photos and other memoribilia). I just recently took photos from 1991 out of a magnetic photo album and there were similar colored spots on some of those photos too.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to HuskerMom98

Could it be some form of rust? Have they been stored in anything metal in the attic?
We had a cabinet in our storage building that was totally metal and closed up. Everything in them would get this rust looking stuff on them whether they were metal or ot. I figured it had something to do with lack of temp control and the metal.

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb

• runzalot81 Said:
Rubber Cement is very acidic and not meant for scrapbooking. That may be the discoloration you're seeing.

I would check into the rubber cement and see if that is the cause.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G

• runzalot81 Said:

I was going to say this....
with the temp change in the attics as well (very cold to very hot/humid) it's probably a chemical reaction.

Scan things if you can and toss them.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Just G

If you have been scrapping with non acid free materials they have a spray by 3M called "make it acid free" See if it it helps your future pages.

Are you using papers that are meant for scrapbooking or just normal construction paper/printer paper? that might be the problem as well.

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to Just G

Maybe take a couple of pages to a good photography shop that specializes in restoring photos. Just to see if they can tell you what it is, so you can make sure you get rid of enough of it. And so it doesn't happen in the future.

I would bet those places have seen about everything on a picture. My best friends son is a professional photographer in Las Vegas. If you'd like me to I can send him the photo and see if he knows.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to SherylEb

I wonder if the brown could be something about the lignin in the paper?? Would a spot of bleach help? I think you can use bleach on paper as a technique..............Anyone else know about this?

t-scraps
Expert
t-scraps
In response to wilbur

Looks like a type of mold to me.... probably from the attic storage. So sorry your stuff is getting ruined. That is awful.

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to t-scraps

• t-scraps Said:
Looks like a type of mold to me.... probably from the attic storage. So sorry your stuff is getting ruined. That is awful.

I agree--it has that look of a colony, thinking back to microscope views in Biology class. Really feel bad for you, hoping you're able to salvage your most important items in some manner or another.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics