Username Post: Cricut help!        (Topic#1574029)
New Kid On the Block

I want to get started making invitations and such, and heard about the cricut machines, but don't understand exactly what they do. I saw the imagine machine & expression 2, what is the difference? Currently I'm printing words and letters on my laser jet printer and using fun scissors and stencils to make shapes. Please tell me there is an easier way!!

jennkaun
Tenant
jennkaun
In response to tlasbury

I have a cricut create and I love it! It's basically a printer, but cuts instead of prints images. I use it for most of my lettering and tons of other diecuts.

I'm not sure what the difference between the imagine and expression 2 are. But it may just be size. Mine only cuts up to 12 by 6 inches, where others cut 12 by 12 paper.

There are some pictures in my gallery where I've cut stuff with my cricut. All the lettering and some of the fancy stuff. I'm not sure how to put the pics in the post like other people have.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to jennkaun

The cricut is a die-cutting machine. it can cut out all the letters and do the same thing as your scissors and stencils. the nice thing is it cuts them out quickly, the same size (your choice) and any quantity you want.

kellyshoaf
Idol
kellyshoaf
In response to Lamoo12

The imagine does background designs& projects, where the expression is a simple die-cut. That said, you can cut 12 x 24 with the expression2, or you can use inks in where the cutting blades are to "write" directly on your papers. I started with the create, got the expression, gypsy and now just got the cricut mini. Yes, I am pathetically addicted to scrapbooking...anyway, the mini is cool because you interface with cricut craftroom on the computer, and it can be easier to line things up, judge size, etc. Have fun!
PS If budget is a concern and you want to try low-tech--look at a cuttlebug and get an invitation folder for it 9there are several options), you just hand-crank out your words. I like it for embossing too.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to kellyshoaf

I love my expression 2. Some good buys on it (including shipping and extras) at HSN.com

New Kid On the Block
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Cricut Machines are heaven sent. They are so much fun and so great! I could not imagine life without mine. Every design you will cut will be perfect, and you can choose the sizes and shapes you want.

sillybean
New Kid On the Block
sillybean
In response to jennkaun

I'm still in the process of getting to know my Silhouette Cameo, and so far I'm in Scrap Heaven! No more cutting out letters, etc. that I created myself because I couldn't find exactly what I wanted...the time (and headaches) I'm saving is incredible. Plus, it sounds really cool when it cuts, so my three-year-old is entertained!

scarlet864
Veteran
scarlet864
In response to sillybean

I love my Cricut Expression and couldn't craft without it. I even use it when I make cards!

New Kid On the Block
In response to scarlet864

Provo Craft first created the Cricut Personal Cutting machine - affectionately known as the "baby bug" a few years back. Then they improved it and introduced the Create - still cut the same size - 6 X 12" paper but added some features. Next came the Expression - lots more features, larger sizes 12 X 12 and 12 X 24. Two years ago they introduced the Imagine. That is actually an ink jet printer as well as a laser cutting machine. It uses the same cartridges, but you can actually print out the paper you want, and the layers for the design.

Lastly came the Expression 2. Cricut didn't want to limit their expansion of the product so this one is more like a computer. They will have the ability to be upgraded as Cricut adds features, by connecting it to your computer and downloading an upgrade. It doesn't have the same keypad overlays, uses a LED screen.

I have an E2, but haven't used it much. It is a whole new learning curve from the regular expression and being 63, I find the screen a little hard to read. Not sure I like this one as well, but I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet.

What does the Cricut do? It cuts paper with precision. No more buying sheets of alphabets, only using some of them and having to buy another whole set! TONS of design, word sayings like "Just married", or Happily Ever After, or Once Upon A time, .... it is endless. Cricut now has hundreds of cartridges out there.

Say you are a teacher, or want to make an invitation, or party favors, and want to cut out an apple - you need 20 of them - The cricut can cut them any size and as many as you need. It is an extremely versatile machine. You can cut vinyl with it and decorate your house (walls), make magnets with it, do a ga-zillion types of paper crafts with. Probably one of the most useful machines I have ever had.

The imagine is a little pricey and has been problematic. I would recommend as a new user to start with the Expression. You will absolutely LOVE cutting out words with this thing.

The next thing you will need is a XYRON. You put the letters into this, pull them out, and they then have adhesive on one side, turns them into stickers! You can get permanent and repositionable stick. XYRON comes in different sizes, take a look at them at Michaels, or Wal-Mart, or online.

Hope this helps!

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 05-20-12 04:09 PM
In response to cockers2luv

I am a preschool teacher and I used to cut out every little piece for every project we ever did. I got the cricut expression to help with some of the items like simmple hearts, apples, pumpkins etc. but found that I can use it for almost everything.

My son is also in a venturing crew (older coed. scouts) they will be using it to make posters for the yardsale the are sponsoring next week and so much more.

I still have a stack of laminated cards that have to be hand cut but just can't bring myself to do it since I have been spoiled with my cricut.

pwiswell
Veteran
pwiswell
In response to Cinj

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Rhondatx
Veteran
Rhondatx
In response to cockers2luv

Your detailed explanation is very helpful. I have been wondering about the differences. Thank you!!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics