Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Paper        (Topic#1574053)
HERider73
New Kid On the Block
HERider73

Hi, I am fairly new to scrapbooking and was unsure on what paper am I suppose to be using as by base. Is it the card stock or the lighter paper or both or either? Any advice would be great thank you.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-23-12 09:17 AM
In response to HERider73

You can use whatever paper you want Lighter-weight papers are a little more delicate, of course, but if you're using page protectors in your albums this really isn't a concern.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to stick

What stick said. I've used both. In general, there is nothing dictating what you're "supposed" to do - a lot of people, including myself, concern themselves with using acid-free materials, and I would say that's the closest thing to a hard-and-fast "rule", but no one will ban you or shun you if you don't, and even those of us who care exercise different levels of caution (I don't typically use make-it-acid-free spray on tickets and memorabilia, but others here wouldn't dream of not doing so.)

HERider73
New Kid On the Block
HERider73
In response to aquabunny

Thank you!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to HERider73

I am guing fabric on cardstock for a background - and using healthy amounts of "Make it Acid Free".

Sometimes I use lightweight paper for base or background, sometimes heavier, sometimes patterned.

Just whatever works with your layout.

kellyshoaf
Idol
kellyshoaf
In response to Henri Jean

if you are going to do dimensional in your design, I think cardstock is definitely the way to go, but when I was a newbie, I only used lightweight pp. Happy scrapping!

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to kellyshoaf

I love Bazzill textured cardstock. I use that as the base and then layer some patterned ppr on top. I also use patterned ppr as a base too.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Mia1979

I like cardstock for a base too. It just seems a little stronger. If you're adhering heavier embellishments such as chipboard, buttons, etc., it seems to hold up better.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom

• Henri Jean Said:
I am guing fabric on cardstock for a background - and using healthy amounts of "Make it Acid Free".

Sometimes I use lightweight paper for base or background, sometimes heavier, sometimes patterned.

Just whatever works with your layout.

Henri, I have often wanted to add things to my lo's but was afraid to because of the acid. I didn't know of this "Make it acid free" til recently but haven't been able to find it. Where do you get it?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Ohio4HMom

Make it Acid free is by Krylon but I can only get it at my scrapbook store. It sells out quickly so they usually have to order it for me. I just had her order 4 cans which I just picked up.

It lasts me a long long time so I will be using it forever. But I do go in streaks where I use a lot, like all the 12 x 12 pieces of cloth.

I'm not sure, but I would think HOme Depot and places like that should be able to get it, since its Krylon.

It wouldn't hurt to check the box stores but it may be in a different department. I got it once at a boxed sotre.

The first can I ever bought was at Archivers.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom

Thanks I'll check A's when I go next time...

I didn't see it at our local craft store, maybe at M's?

pwiswell
Veteran
pwiswell
In response to Ohio4HMom

I always use a cardstock base and then use layers after that. I like the sturdiness of cardstock. I also put them in page protectors.

HERider73
New Kid On the Block
HERider73
In response to pwiswell

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to Ohio4HMom

I have found it at M's. It is called Archival Mist or something like that.

Rhondatx
Expert
Rhondatx
In response to HERider73

Great info in this post. I have been wondering about the two-sided printed papers. Both sides are so pretty but why is this necessary? When you put it in your album, one side is going to be hidden. What is the benefit of having both sides printed? Is it just the ability to have more options?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Rhondatx

The benefit is to the manufacturer and retailer - less space (and less raw materials) required to make and display two different patterns. I don't mind it so much when the second side is something relatively plain like a subtle pattern in all one color that I won't feel tempted to use, but in general I'm not a fan, since if I like only one side, pricing usually means I end up paying more for the one side I like than if it were just a single-sided sheet.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to aquabunny

I do what most everyone else has said before...cut out behind add-ons and use the reverse side as an embellishment. At least you know it should coordinate~

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mrsdriver5

I just buy at least 2 sheets. Or if I'm doing a 2 page layout then I buy 3 or 4 sheets.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne

I think am one of the few who just uses what I buy. I dont think about the acid free stuff at all. They never did so in the old days and those items still survived. Now we have albums with protector sheets so it'll be preserved a lot better. I tend to use cardstock as a base but sometimes the printed paper is thick enough (DCWV) and will hold itself.

Just use what ever you like as a base, there is no actual given rule....

Rhondatx
Expert
Rhondatx
In response to TheCharmedOne

Thank you everyone for the responses. Great ideas!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics