Username Post: Favorite Pens/Markers        (Topic#1574063)
ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162

I've heard of Zig Writer being one of the best, but what other pens/markers do you guys use? I really want a lot of colorful pens, but some are expensive.
Ex: Copic Markers

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-23-12 01:24 PM
In response to ScrappinGirl162

Totally depends on what you want them for, as they have wildly different properties. Copics blend beautifully and are great for coloring, but are not for writing/journalling. Zigs have hard tips so are better for drawing and writing. I love Sakura pens (Glaze, Souffle, and all the various Gelly Rolls) for writing, a little drawing and coloring in accents.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to stick

I recently purchased Tombo Brush Pens at M's - a set of six. I picked the called "Grunge" which is funny because as it ends up I'm wanting to so some grungy work. They were on sale. They had two or three different sets, one was primary colors.

I like them a lot.

ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162
In response to CrimsonMama

I would like them for journaling, and doodles thanks

Expert

I have a scrappy friend that is pretty much a doodling pro and she uses black Sharpies (usually Ultra Fine Point Sharpies) and for white she uses Fine Point Water-based Sharpie Poster-Paint markers. The poster-paint markers are harder to find because it's the water-based ones and not oil-based like you'll see at M's or HL. I think she usually finds hers at art stores.

The regular Sharpies also work great for journalling--especially on stickers, but the poster-paint is a little too big for small writing. I also like the Zig Millennium pens for my journalling.

Mulan05
Expert
Mulan05
In response to HuskerMom98

I use Marvy Uchida Le Plume markers. I bought them from M's about 6 years ago and have used them on tons of pages. Only recently (within the last year) have I had to replace a few that are dried out.

I like these ones because they have a brush point (good for doodling and colouring in small things) and a fine point (good for journaling).

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

I have many different markers. I love Bic and Sharpie ultra-fine point, but a few months ago, someone here at scrapbook.com said she had evidence of Sharpies fading some. I also love Prismacolor markers and Zig (though I just purchased thier 48-pack, and some are dry). I used to use pens a lot, but you have to give them plenty of time to dry so that they don't smear. And many times, my pens skipped and globbed, no matter which brand I had or where I got them. So I have pretty much given up on pens.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

These are my favorites for doodling.

SandraB.
Veteran
SandraB.
In response to Luvmyfam

I mostly use my Zig markers for journalling and my Copics for coloring and blending images. I have also just purchased a few of Tim Holtz's distress markers to go with his inks. I think they work pretty much the same as the Zig's, just different colors. I've had alot of trouble with gel pens drying up, though I still use them on occasion.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-23-12 05:51 PM
In response to SandraB.

The Sakura pens do not generally dry up, but I've had a lot of trouble with all other brands of gel pens. This is one instance where brand name makes a difference!

ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162
In response to stick

I like using Sakura pens One of my favorite brands! I'll look into the other pens/markers... I am considering getting Bic bc its acid-free!

Sassie
Sassie 
Idol
Sassie
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
These are my favorites for doodling.

Ive wondered about these Ive seen 'em at Joanns and M's so COUPON .. Im excited to try I use a white pen corrector and black sharpie for highlight..

I have used copic pens not the markers that are nice. Ive also seen the Derwent charcoal pencils do awesome in black and with your finger you can do shadding.

ltlemermaid
Idol
ltlemermaid
In response to Sassie

I love my ZIG pens/markers and I use them for journaling, doodling on cards and LO's.

I want to try out copics and distress markers next!

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to ltlemermaid

I have to say I am just now starting to lose my CM pens that are 10 years old. I am truly amazed how long they have lasted especially since I journal a lot.

I bought a pack of fine tip bic markers last year and they have held up well but, the tip are a little softer. The black, brown and blue that I use all the time is not as "fine" as when I bought them.

I am still on the look out for more pens as well. I stumbled on to HSN last night when they were talking about the American Crafts gel pens. Anyone have opinions about these pens?

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to ltlemermaid

I have a few zig markers, bic markers and just got some TH distress markers.
Zig and the TH are my fav. They have different tips, but the ink seems to be the same quality (what I can tell from writing) I have not tried out all the other ways to use the distress markers yet. I have fallen in love with all the TH distress line, so the markers work color-wise for me and I will continue to buy that line before more zig markers.

grandmamichelf
Veteran
grandmamichelf
In response to Rushli

I really like the new TH distress markers.

I use the bic markers as well plus I have some gel pens but I don't know who makes them.

suezhunt
Pro
suezhunt

For journaling I like Zig and American Craft's Memory Markers.

ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162
In response to suezhunt

oooh! I really want some new pens/markers!!!! Can anyone show me a lo with these pens or the TH distress inks? I want to see how they look bc everyone loves them... thnx

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics