Username Post: Simple minded        (Topic#1574267)
lantana
Idol
lantana

I am trying to scrap a boy's page with a black and white photo. When I work with black and white, I can't seem to come up with a color scheme that pleases me as much as red, black and white. But I need to expand this view so all my los don't look the same. I want something simple that I can do. Please help!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to lantana

I also have difficulty with boys pages and black and white photos. I think sticking with the bolder colors keep the b&w from looking washed out and I'm a big fan of lots of color. Adding color seems to really add focus on the b&w photos too. I did this layout with a couple pictures of my nephew. I turned them to b&w because of the pink flowery sofa in the background.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to olleharr

That's a fantastic LO, Lisa! I love it.

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to runzalot81

These photos were b/w, but with photoshop I changed them to give them a yellow tone and used the great boy paper. I distressed the edges of the front photo for more emphasis.

Just Being Me By Mother Goose//" title="http: Just Being Me By Mother Goose//"Link

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Mother Goose

Those are both GREAT lookin pages! I love those.

I think that adding any bright piece of color to a mostly monotone layout looks great. If your page is feeling washed out- try playing around with substituting an element of the l/o with a bright burst of color.

I KNOW I'm not putting this into words as well as I'm wanting to-

are you in middle of a page right now that you could post a pic of?

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to lantana

I like blue (I know, very traditional for a boy, but it does look nice with black & white)
Just about any bright colours look nice with black and white photos.....I actually love using them because I can do anything with them....nothing clashes with the pics

I wish I was a Fish By Kiyawinn

Santa By Kiyawinn

Alison

lantana
Idol
lantana
In response to kiyawinn

Thanks everyone...beautiful los! I think I'm going to have to put this on a back burner until inspiration hits...I've messed with it all afternoon and nothing is coming...I may scraplift one of these though...

michelley2002
Resident
michelley2002
In response to lantana

What about teal and yellow? They are bright enough to let the black and white photo to stand out and there are tons of embellies in those colors for boys?

LesleyC
Diva
LesleyC
In response to michelley2002

So glad you posted this topic! I took some b/w photos (accidentally...didn't realize I had the b/w setting on my phone, and the sun was too bright to notice it at the time!) and didn't know how to treat them. Those are bith great examples!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 04-28-12 05:49 PM
In response to LesleyC

Depending on the subject matter, of course, I love a childlike color scheme of a combination of red, blue, yellow, green, purple and orange - bright, vibrant, basic colors. You could use 2, 3 or a whole rainbow.

pwiswell
Veteran
pwiswell
In response to olleharr

I like the colors you used in this layout. I agree that bold colors work best with black and white photos.

pwiswell
Veteran
pwiswell
In response to kiyawinn

I love these layouts. Nice job.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics