Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Cameras        (Topic#1574323)
kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

As a result of my scrapbooking, I have gotten more interested in photography.
I was wondering how many of you have it as a hobby as well, what camera do you use, do you love it and why??
I've recently discovered all the features on my little point and shoot (previously I just used the auto setting, snapped and that was it!)
I've found that makes a huge difference in the photos I can get but.....I'm thinking I'd like a much better camera and I'd like to take a course on photography......

Alison

michelley2002
Resident
michelley2002
In response to kiyawinn

I have a Nikon D40 SLR camera and I love it! I have never taken a photography course but it is still easy to use and I get beautiful pictures. I have a book that I bought to learn some of the features but have never actually used it. I use it for almost everything but I have a Nikon Point and Shoot as well and I can always tell the difference.

The D40 is an older model (about 4 years) and has been replaced with a similar but newer model. Mine was around $400 but well worth it.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to michelley2002

I have a Cannon Rebel t3i. I bought the anti shake lenses (about $500 for the 70-300mm one). It takes amzing action shots. We have a speed boat and I have great action pics. I had the older model up until last summer. It also doesn't take a bad picture and the sports mode is amazing if you have kids in sports. I do believe the Nikon and Cannons are quite similar; you just have to see the models side by side to pick your favorite. In my gallery I have a picture of us tubing that someone who had never used my camera took on the first shot. You can see why I love it.

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to 950nancy

Love the canon rebel line. I do not have one, but my sister who is a freelance photographer has an older model (xsi maybe) and in a couple years when she replaces it, she said she would give it to me so I just need to buy some nice lenses.

if you really like reading up and finding the best fit for you, steve's digicams site is the best review site ever!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to Rushli

I have the canon t3 and also a sony A100, I'm in the process of selling my a100 so I can buy more lenses!

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to Sneezy1956

I have a Nikon D3100 SLR and a couple of lenses to go with it. My point in shoot is a Nikon Coolpix S6100.

Resident
In response to prittb

I have a canon T1I that I carry around with me and also a canon 60D But I would love to get my hands on a 5D mark III

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to must_love_paper

I have a little Polaroid that I bought last June on clearance for $40. I am not very good at taking pictures, and I was thinking of taking a photography class myself. Up til now, the pictures I have scrapped were taken by someone else (heritage albums, etc). I cut off heads in pictures, stuff like that. Almost as soon as I got my Polaroid, I thought I needed an upgrade. I'll learn how to take decent pictures with my little Polaroid first.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to jaspernonyx

What a great thread.

Which camera (know its Nikon) that takes a picture in restaurants and darker places and no flash goes off - but the pictures comes out really nice.

I want a camera that I dont' have to use a flash becuase we go to many places where flash photography is not allowed. But if you camera has built in flash that doesn't go off like a flash camera, you can use it.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Henri Jean

Henri, I didn't know there was a camera that could take decent photos in the dark with NO flash!!
Could have used that on our last trip....we also visited some places in New Zealand where a flash was not allowed....
Would love to know what that camera is...

Alison

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to kiyawinn

I also recommend the site linked above! Bookmark it!

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to MrsD2008

I also got into photography as a result of scrapbooking.

I started with a Nikon D40,but ended up in love with a friends SONY A-300. I've since moved up to the A-55 from Sony and I'm very happy.

tchk 
Tenant
  • tchk on 04-29-12 06:40 PM
In response to MrsD2008

I've been a point-and-shoot camera person all my life. I get some pretty good pictures with them. I usually try to go top of the line in a P&S and have found that learning all the settings can make a BIG difference in the pictures I get.

That said, I just made a slight jump. Not to a real DSLR, but to a sort of "bridge" camera- the Olympus pen e-pl1. I got a GREAT price as there is a newer model and I am both thrilled and terrified. I have been reading my "dummies" book while I sit with the camera in hand and take silly pictures of the living room. It is going to be a long haul with the manual settings but I can always go "auto" and know I will get great pictures.

But I will also say that you will get my little purse size 14mp when you "pry it from my cold dead hand". Having a camera that fits into my small handbag means I always have a camera, and with its multi settings I can get most any shot I want and it will be a good one. Not great, maybe, but almost always good.

Cinj
Cinj 
Expert
Cinj
  • Cinj on 04-29-12 07:16 PM
In response to kiyawinn

I don't know anything about photography. I started using a Kodak easy share like 15 years ago and never gave it much thought until one of my daycare clients showed me pictures she had taken with her camera. About 2 years ago I had a yardsale and that client set up with me. She was selling her camera and I fell in love with it. I didn't buy it right away and found myself getting scared everytime someone looked at it. Finally I asked her if it was the camera she used to take the picture she showed me and it was. She asked if I was interested in it and of course I was so we worked out a barter for it. I gave her a week of free daycare and she gave me the camera. It is a Cannon powershot G6. I like it but would love to upgrade eventually. I never even thought about scrapbooking the picture I take; I usually just load them to my computer and leave them there. I guess I will be printing some soon. lol

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to tchk

You can take pictures in low light if your camera has manual controls. You need to set it with a large lens opening and longer exposure, and hold the camera very steady, possibly with a tripod. The larger the lens opening, the smaller is the range of focus. An exposure meter would help to select the correct combination of lens aperture and exposure time. Maybe some of the newer cameras have an automatic adjustment for different light situations, but you still need to know a little about photography.

Jalynne
Guru
Jalynne
In response to Solitaire

I just bought a Pentax K-r DSLR, and am really loving it. I can use it on manual or automatic, and the lenses are interchangeable with my husband's film Pentax SLR, so we get more bang for our bucks. Just took my daughter out on a photo shoot with her friends, doing ballet poses, and just goofing around, and I have some amazing action pictures. it's also excellent for macros. This camera has been rated as one of the top five of the entry level DSLR cameras on the market. My model is not being produced anymore, but you can still get a new one...just Google it.

scrappy_day
Pro
scrappy_day
In response to Jalynne

Henri,
I think Nikon makes a point and shoot that doesn't need flash. I remember seeing the commerical with Ashton Kutcher. I'm not sure what model it is though.
I have a couple cameras. A little Cannon point and shoot and I bought a used Cannon Rebel XS I believe it is. Love that thing!
Taking photography classed definately helps. I have taken one so far and it did help. Now I want to take a few more!

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to scrappy_day

I should mention that currently I use my iPhone 4 and it is a awesome p&s. It is very handy; I always have it in my pocket to take pictures of the boys. At this point, I would use a p&s more than a DSLR simply because I take a lot of in the moment pictures. I would never be able to spend the day running around after a 19 and 6 month old with a big ol' DSLR around my neck. >so that is something to think about when finding the perfect camera too

Rushli
Rushli 
Veteran
Rushli
In response to Rushli

Also, depending on how much you like computers, there are some great free editing software out there to have fun with. I use iPhoto for my basic stuff. With one click I can "enhance" a photo, I can also straighten a photo (I use this a lot when taking pictures of my LOs) this can also be used to skew a photo like how some professionals take portraits at different angles. Of course you can crop as well, which is how i get the square for my LOs as well. There are other tools as well, but I use these the most.

A program my sister sent me a link for is http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/perfect-effe cts-f... I have fun with different looks.

rockmom
Queen
rockmom
In response to Rushli

I just last night got a Nikon D5100 DSLR with a 18-55 mm VR (vibration reduction) lens and a 55-200 VR lens. Been playing with it this am. SO much stinking fun! You can set the settings manually and use NO flash or you can use AUTO settings or even AUTO with no flash. If I can use it anyone can! I do have a tripod for non-flash shots and tiny macro shots.

Anyone know of a good macro lens for shooting objects an inch or less in size? I need it for my mineralogy shots of micro and thumbnail-sized specimens.

The Nikon D5100 is a top end beginners model and has the moveable screen so if you need to hold the camera above a crowd and shoot you can still see what you are framing or if you don't want to get on the floor you can hold it low or put it on a tripod and still see the screen. Its a must-have for me as I postion my minerals on the edge of a table, set the camera on a tripod at tabletop level and shoot, No more sore backs from bending over.

Edited by rockmom on 04-30-12 09:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics