Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Just when I thought I had heard everything...        (Topic#1574401)
Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

So I am in the supermarket picking up 2 items and decide to go to the Express, 12 items or less, cashier.
I line up behind a 3 generational family; son, mother, grandmother. They proceed to empty a large shopping cart full of the same items. Cookies (over 12 bags), juice boxes (couple dozen packages), and half gallons of cranberry juice (at least 20). They divide their purchases into 3 separate orders as if this somehow makes it OK. I see the cashier roll her eyes but she starts checking them out as it would be more work trying to explain the procedures. Did I mention they spoke only very broken English.

Well the reason for the multiple purchases becomes clear as the mom whips out a bunch of $1 off coupons. First purchase goes through with multiple use of the same coupons and the total is this ridiculous amount like $1.80 for 18 items. Second order is rung up but the system accepts only one more cookie coupon even though they bought 4 bags. The cashier explains that it is because they are using their personal grocery discount card too and it knows exactly how many purchases they have made. This goes right over their head, but they give up buying any more cookies on the third order. But between the 3 of them they realized they did not get the cookie coupons on the second order so now they want a refund!

At this point the line is really backing up and I just cannot take it anymore. I offer to pay for the value of the coupons. We are talking $3! I hand them a $5. Now get this, the son says to me "Don't INSULT us by giving us money!" So we all have to wait while they get a refund! The line has over 15 people by now! I never heard so much muttering.

The only thing that saved my mentality was the thought...She must have a RAGING bladder infection. Look at all of that cranberry juice!

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 04-30-12 02:43 PM
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I to have been the victim of the OVER 12 item folks. I have asked the cashier WHY DON'T you tell them they have to get in a different line She says they are not allowed to. So then WHY is there even a designation of 12 or less.

I could scream!!

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to charK

OMG... I think I would have lost my mind.

On a related note, the last time my grandpa went to Wally world, he was directed to go to the "express" line even though he had a cart full of groceries. Again, what's the point of express lanes if the store doesn't enforce them???

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to *jesse*

I feel your pain! This drives me crazy!

I do the majority of my grocery shopping at 8:00 AM on a weekday after dropping off my kindergartener. There aren't that many people shopping then (me, plus a dozen or so businessfolk grabbing donuts) so they only keep one line open... the express lane. And, of course, the checker waves me into their lane with my 100+ items. I try to let people with just donuts go ahead of me, but I can't stand there all day letting everyone with 1 item go first while my popsicles melt. It puts me in a really awkward position and I feel like a big jerk, especially when I pull out coupons.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to cindy312

that would drive me crazy. I know at our local grocery store, they told me that after a certain time at night, there is no express line.

I was once in line behind a woman who had already completed her transaction, money had all c hanged hands and what not. now her father comes up and decides he wants to buy something, and just cuts in front of me and says he's with her. yeah well her transaction was OVER so that's just obnoxious! wait your turn.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Tina scraps

there is extreme couponing and then there are coupon extemists. take what you can get and go! geez. Some people have no sense.

The fact that he was INSULTED over you giving him money is just pathetic.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Just G

That sounds so frustrating! I hate when stores do not follow their own rules. My favorite store once changed the location of their 15-items-or-less line. I didn't even notice their handmade sign. I got up to the front after waiting behind 2-3 people, and they kicked me to another line. I was so annoyed, but I respected what they had to do. I must have not been the only one to to that, though, because after just a few weeks, they placed their quick-check back in the original spot.

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to Luvmyfam

I must have no self control. Similar circumstances, Thanksgiving Eve, 10 or less line, but every line had at least 10 carts in it, but the woman who wormed in front of me with 2 children in two had a full cart.

Yeah, I made a scene.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to RockStar

I think we all have encountered this!!! I did find myself laughing though as I read your post! Sorry! If we could catch it on tape - you know it would win on Funniest Video show!!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to SmartyPants

I refuse to be bothered by things like this, life's too short. I often let huffy people go in front of me even if I only have a few things.

The people who sigh and roll their eyes make me laugh.

Don't get me wrong, I have many other pet peeves.

This just isn't one of them.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kelseymel

I am one of these that counts my items and will not go in the 10 or less unless I have 10 or less!

I had 15 one day and there was not body in line - I got at the end of a long regular line and the cashier in the 10 or less called me over.

I told her I had over 10 and she said it was fine. I felt so guilty!

On the coupon thing - I used to save serious coupons I collected and decided to use a lot of them one night to see how much I could get by with. There was no one else in the line and I didn't hold anyone up.

I got $151.00 worth of groceries in 1984 (probably several hundred dollars worth now because prices have more than doubled since then - maybe tripled) and I gave her a quarter and got a penny back.

It was cool to do once but more work than just getting a job and just working a couple hours to pay for what I bought!

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Henri Jean

I try not to be bothered by that either, except when I'm in a hurry and the store is packed including the self-check out lanes. I never say anything but have several choice words going through my head.

I know this wasn't brought up and I may be opening a new can of worms but I want to share a story that happened to my friend. Her story has changed me in that I no longer judge ANYONE, because I do not know his/her story or circumstances.

So anyway, my friend was at the store with her two kids. When she paid with food stamps, the person in line behind her was making nasty comments to her about bringing babies into the world when she can't afford to feed them and she's just another person that our tax dollars have to pay for and is using the system, that she needed to step up and take responsibility for her choice to reproduce, etc....

I wish I could have seen the reaction when she told him/her that these children were created out of love by a married couple who made well thought out decisions as to when they were financially ready to have children and the kids were raised in a loving home until her DH decided that he no longer wanted to be married to her and ran off with another woman and has terminated all parental rights to her son and daughter and that she doesn't want to have to use food stamps but she needs to feed her children on her one income that is stretched between daycare and providing them with a roof over their heads.

Ok, that was a long story and may not have any relevance to the OP but I've learned to just smile, nod, and mind my own business when shopping.

2xblessed
Queen
2xblessed
In response to pugs223

I agree Peg. You never know what heartache someone else is carrying.
Henri, I sure wish I would have that kind of success with coupons. Question! Did you buy things just because you had a coupon or did you really need/want the products that had coupons?

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to 2xblessed

That was my thought too.....it may be annoying, but for all we know, the family may have been helping someone else with groceries, helping with donations for a classroom party, daycare or else just stocking up for themselves. Im sure we've all wasted more than 10 minutes, or caused a holdup in line behind us before too. How many of us brag about using 9 coupons at J's for items to get the best possible price? Like Melissa said, its not something I get riled up about. And I dont make a scene, not worth getting my BP up over or embarrasing someone. And I dont think their primary language has anything to do with the situation.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ScrappyMama6

it irritates me,,,,,,but what can you do about it? They are not allowed to correct the customers, so there you have it.

I don't mind if you have 11 or 12 items in the 10 or less line,,I don't expect anyone to count every item,,,,,,,

a quick glance, however, should give you an IDEA if you are at least within the decent RANGE of 10 items.

However, I've often been directed into the 10 items or less line with a full cart,,,,,,if the store isn't busy, not a big deal, IMHO.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to CommaHolly

When I bought all the items with coupons, no I did not need them at that time, but used them later.

I mean, I remember 21 rolls of paper towels, about 10 boxes of Kleenex, I don't know how much in paper towels and enough cleaners to stock my pantry for several years.

I just wanted to cash in all my coupons and we did use every item. There were meats and ice cream and cookies and potatoe chips. It was every bit eaten or used.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

What annoys me is when people stand at the cash register talking on the phone and ignoring the cashier and holding everything up - then they can't get their money out becuase they are on the cell phone!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

• Henri Jean Said:
What annoys me is when people stand at the cash register talking on the phone and ignoring the cashier and holding everything up - then they can't get their money out becuase they are on the cell phone!

This!! It's so incredibly rude! I often find myself apologizing to the cashier for that person's rude behavior.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
  • Henri Jean Said:

This!! It's so incredibly rude! I often find myself apologizing to the cashier for that person's rude behavior.

OMG! I could not agree more. THIS is terrible.

I *once* had to do that. Was waiting for a call from hubby to pick him up. He called just as I was checking out at a store. I apologized profusely to the clerk, and said how I think it's so rude.

The clerk was shocked, and said people do it all the time, yet no one ever apologizes.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Bxr-Linda

As has been suggested, I think you are right they were doing some type of extreme couponing. They seemed very organized and were buying only the same 3 items with multiple coupons. I wouldn't be surprised if they cleared the shelf of everything they had of those 3 items. But a transaction like this in the Express line? Maybe they do it on purpose because the Express cashiers will let a few coupons slide. Now don’t get me wrong, I waited very patiently. But when it got to the part about asking for a refund on their middle purchase, I think they should have gone to the Customer Service counter. With all of the communication issues their transactions & refund took well over 15 mins. I stopped checking my watch because I didn't want to get even more riled up. and...it was one of those things where you had to be there. They were VERY pushy and demanding and were not treating the cashier nicely at all. Like it was her fault they got busted on using 20 coupons for the same item.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics