Username Post: Where to start?        (Topic#1574497)
New Kid On the Block

I'm very new here. I'd like to learn about digital scrapbooking. I currently use Shutterfly for photo books, but would love to learn to do more. Where do I start? What software? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-02-12 06:51 PM
In response to Cupcakes4Me

Welcome!

Lots of us use Photoshop Elements. Some people use Creative Memories or My Memories Suite. There are other options, too, I've been a Photoshop user for many years so I'm not too familiar with anything else. Most have free trial downloads so you can check them out. They all have a learning curve, of course. Photoshop has a lot more users (not just in the scrapbook world) so there are a lot more tutorials, videos and books if you're the kind of person who needs that.

tchk 
Tenant
  • tchk on 05-03-12 06:31 AM

I have, and use regularly, both the Creative Memories Storybook Creator Plus and the My Memories Suite programs. I like both of them for different reasons and purposes, so I vary which I choose when. Anyway......

I can happily recommend either one. CM is the more expensive program starting out, but also offers a lot more free kits on their website. MMS also has freebies, but mostly they are small samples or just one page kits. Both sell many additional kits to add to your digital stash. In spite of the higher price, I think you might be ahead in the long run with CM.

As for ease of use, they are both wonderfully intuitive. They are designed specifically for scrapbooking, and use common terminology so they are easy to understand quickly, Most folks report making their first page within an hour, and lots of basic pages the first day they try the program.

If I had to choose only one to keep, I think it would be the CM program, although I cannot give you a specific reason for my answer. It just "seems" better. It does have limitations that MMS does not- with MMS you can make slide shows and add narration and music, none of which you can do with CM. So there ARE differences.

Both programs allow a 30 day download to try them out. I highly recommend that you do that. PLay with each of them for a few days and just figure out which you like better.

Good luck and I hope you like digi-scrapping as much as I do.

Jessica G-B
Expert
Jessica G-B
In response to tchk

I use Creative Memories' Storybook program. I've had it for 3 years and no complaints from me. I think it's really user friendly and there are tons of kits you can purchase to add to your collection. One thing I really love is being able to change the colors of papers. If I find a really cool patterned paper I love but want it in a different color, the program has great coloring options to manipulate it easily.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Jessica G-B

Thanks so much! I had no idea there were free trials to download. I'm going to give that a try and see where it leads me. I'll let you know how I make out. I'm happy to have a place to come with questions!

Cross_ 
New Kid On the Block

I just mentioned that in another topic, but you might want to try out mpix.com. Their photobook/scrapbooking software is good and their print quality is so much better than what Shutterfly offers.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics