Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: how do i choose which machine to get??        (Topic#1574639)
emunoz
emunoz 
New Kid On the Block
emunoz

I'm getting the hang of this new found love of crafting and am looking into purchasing a cricut machine but I need help deciding which one to get! I love love love love my cuttlebug, but I want to explore the world of electric cutting machines now too.

Any advice on which Cricut machine is best? I am leaning towards the cricut mini since I'm feeling like I don't need anything too fancy, but I need expert advice! I want to do more with words and fun details that my cuttlebug cannot really do. Thanks!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to emunoz

Hello, it all depends on what you want to do with your machine. If you like designing on you gypsy or CCR and don't use your physical cartridges and make smaller cuts, then the mini is the way to go. However, if you make larger cuts, then you may want an Expression or E2.
Can you shed a little more light on what you have in mind?

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to HisGEM

Also, do you want to have to use predesigned things or design them yourself?

If you want to design them yourself, you don't want a cricut. It is limited to already created cuts. A computer based system will let you do this.

leokc34
Mayor
leokc34
In response to Seaexplore

start with a cricut expression... then move to the silhouette or other machines... cricut is the cheapest and then you will find out what works for you. And if you choose to go different you can always sell it... they are still selling at a good price on kijiji and other selling sites
I have the pink expression and picked it up for only $120 a year ago... love it but now I also want a silhouette

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to leokc34

Kimberly, I agree and disagree. The E2 is about the same price as the Cameo.
The cameo can be bought with a coupon bringing the total to approx $212 with shipping (unless she lives in Canada). You cannot buy a Cricut with a coupon. The cutting is awesome on the Cameo and if she does not like it, there are people standing in line to buy one!

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to HisGEM

Kenya, where you buying a Sil with a coupon? Enlighten me!
I want the Sil Cameo, and at that price, heck why wait!

emunoz
emunoz 
New Kid On the Block
emunoz
In response to ChansGram

Thanks everyone!

I'm now leaning toward the E2, but what's the difference between that and the Imagine and the Create?

Also, what's the difference between the E2 and the Cameo?

I like the predesigned cartridges and like the selection, and want to be able to make larger cuts for banners and small boxes and tags, so it seems the mini would do me no good after all.

Thanks so much!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to emunoz

Trish, I will pm you. It is worth paying full price for it...really!

The Imagine can print, cut or print and cut. The Imagine can 11.5x11.5. Nice to have for quick projects. Like to be able to print out solid colors or patterns. Ink lasts a long time. The create has many of the features of the expression but with a smaller cutting surface. It can cut 5.5x11.5.

The E2 is a cartridge based system the Cameo is a computer based system. They cost about the same price except the cameo can be purchased with a coupon which brings the price down below the E2. You can buy a physical cartridge or digi down loads to work with the E2. The cameo, images can be purchased through the store for 99 cents. This is awesome because you can buy what you want without wasting images.I was amazed with the image selection. Also you can merge images from the Internet to cut. The cameo allows you to do a print and cut (similar to the Imagine, except more accurate). I have all of the above machines and they are all good machines, but the cutting on the Cameo has the wow factor! HTH

emunoz
emunoz 
New Kid On the Block
emunoz
In response to HisGEM

Awesome! Thanks so much! That helps a lot!

New Kid On the Block
In response to emunoz

The Imagine is a printer as well as a laser cutting machine. You can actually print the paper you want, cut out the design and make many layers for one particular layout. This machine is fairly new, pricey, and I understand has some problems. I would not recommend this machine for a newbie.

The Expression is a machine that cuts 12" wide paper, and up to 24" long if you have a long mat. The Version 2 is the same size, but was designed more like a computer. It doesn't have the keypads. Cricut designed this so they would not be limited and if they created more functions, you could just update your machine via the internet.

The Create was the first step up from the Baby Bug or the Personal size Cricut. I started with a Baby Bug, and loved it. Then got a Create, and an Expression. THEN I bought the E2 (as it is known). I love them all. The Create and Baby Bug I bought on Craigslist and got good deals on both of them. The E2 I bought last year at the Thanksgiving day sale at Michaels. I have hardly used it. It is actually a whole new learning curve. I knew the Expression very well as I did demo's for Provo Craft on it, but the E2 is different enough, I find I need to spend time learning it. I am not sure I love this machine as well. I am 63, and find the images on the display screen can be hard to read, so that affects my comments about use. I love the Expression!

I would recommend for a beginner either the Create or Baby Bug, if you can afford it, just go for the Expression. Why? well, you have more features, and you can cut much larger images, If you say, "I'll never do a large image", then go with a Create or Baby Bug. You should be able to pick up a baby bug for $50 or 60. The Expressions, new, online I have seen for as little as $169. The E2 runs $224, sometimes you can find it a little less.

Shop around online. Some people have them for sale on Craigslist for more than what it would cost to buy a new one, so be educated as to what is a good buy.

Once you get one, you'll be hooked!

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to ChansGram

• ChansGram Said:

Trish, Oh My Crafts have a few coupons and guess what? You can buy the Cameo with them. I just made a mock-up order just to make sure the coupon is still valid. $217.49 shipping included....Please PM if you want me to forward you the e-mail. I don't have the Cameo but figure you or someone else will be interested.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to GIGIGI30

• GIGIGI30 Said:
  • ChansGram Said:

Trish, Oh My Crafts have a few coupons and guess what? You can buy the Cameo with them. I just made a mock-up order just to make sure the coupon is still valid. $217.49 shipping included....Please PM if you want me to forward you the e-mail. I don't have the Cameo but figure you or someone else will be interested.

Thank you for the help! But I already bought the Cameo last week! I was able to use the coupon for 25% off! Yip-eee!
Now just waiting for shipping, they are on back order. Hoping to get it by the end of the month.

GIGIGI30
Expert
GIGIGI30
In response to ChansGram

No problem...And please let me know how is your Cameo once you get it....I'm jealous :)!!!

leokc34
Mayor
leokc34
In response to GIGIGI30

good to know.. I so would like another machine... I am thinking I also now need a bigger craft room

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to ChansGram

How exciting! Hopefully you will get it before the extended holiday so you can play

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to HisGEM

My birthday is the 30th, so I was thinking it would sure be nice to have it by then! Happy Birthday to me!

The Frey
Tenant
The Frey
In response to ChansGram

I also recommend a non-cricut machine that can do custom cuts as needed. Cartridges are fine, but very limited, not to mention expensive.

Why spend money on a whole cartridge when you only want one or two items on it. Go freestyle and spend the money you save on more craft supplies!

surescrapsalot
Veteran
surescrapsalot
In response to The Frey

Everyone certainly has their favourites. I have never used a computer based system but I LOVE my cricut and wouldn't give it up for anything. Cartridges are not as expensive as everyone believes. I refuse to pay full price but Michaels has sales on them all of the time....you just have to be patient! Most full cartridges have something like 50 full images plus tons of extra ones like cards, borders, fonts, phrases etc....To pay $1 for a single image adds up. I am selective in my cartridge choices and yes, I don't use every image on a cartridge but quite often I find that I use a cut that I never thought I would have at the time of the purchase. Like I said, I have no experience with other machines but I just found that I was so impressed with Cricut that I really didn't need anything else. I had the baby bug and just recently upgraded to the E2 and love both of these machines for their own reasons....

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to surescrapsalot

I was lucky to use the 40% off Cricut the first week they came out. The coupon wasn't specific to Cricut products yet. I have purchased 3 of them. Only one broke. I would also like the Cameo, but really don't know if I want something attached to the computer yet. I should probably go watch a demonstration at my LSS.

950nancy
Diva
950nancy
In response to The Frey

• The Frey Said:
I also recommend a non-cricut machine that can do custom cuts as needed. Cartridges are fine, but very limited, not to mention expensive.

Why spend money on a whole cartridge when you only want one or two items on it. Go freestyle and spend the money you save on more craft supplies!

Once I got the Gypsy with a search function I really started using my cartridges to make myself feel better. I also get to share my carts with my friend. I keep wavering on getting the Cameo or not.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics