Page 2 of 2 
Username Post: how do i choose which machine to get??        (Topic#1574639)
ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to surescrapsalot

I am assuming that I will still use my Cricut and the carts I have managed to accumulate. I am still waiting on my Silhouette to come in, it is on back order. I don't think I will stop loving my Gypsy and all that it does!
It's just that I have always been curious by the Silhouette and how it cuts. I have watched many demos/YouTube vids comparing the 2 cutters and the silhouette always seemed to have a more precise cut, especially with detail.
Like circles that are actually circular!!!
As for the images, if you subscribe to their monthly membership, the cuts are a lot cheaper. I got $150 worth of designs for $15. So broken down, that's about .10 per image.
( if I'm doing my math right!!)
I am sure I will still use my Cricuts, I own 5 of them!! Most recently the Mini, which I really like. I am very comfortable with them, as I have been using them since they came out, so it's like second nature to me. But I am excited to try a new "kind"!
Tammy, your cuts/LO's on your blog are amazing! I really love the Buzz one and all the princess ones are awesome! I can only imaging how time consuming they are, but well worth it!
Nancy, I say get the Sil and we can learn this new machine together!

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to ChansGram

I have the original baby bug and then I upgraded to the Expression and I use my Gypsy all the time with it when I want to weld to manipulate images.
I have not actually worked with the Expression 2 however I have seen it used and it just seems to cumbersome to me. The regular Expression hit the button and go. I felt that the learning curve for the Expression was super simple and straight forward.
I had the baby bug from the very first intro of any Cricut so it goes back a while. I didn't upgrade for quite a while because I never thought that I would need to cut anything bigger than 6". Then I wanted large circles for mats and have found many more reasons to have the 12 x12 option.
I also have a computer based machine Pazzles Inspiration however I have done less that 20 cuts on it because I would rather grab a cartridge than try to find images to cut on the internet. They are identical as far as the internal aspects one is computer based and the other is cartridge required. Made by the same company. They use the same blade, mats etc.

Resident
In response to 950nancy

I have three different Cricuts and use them daily --- don't get the Imagine - it's not worth it!! I especially wouldn't recommend this machine for someone that isn't comfortable navigating through a "regular" Cricut.

In addition --- I have a feeling that once you get the mini and get comfortable with it - you're going to want the E2 in no time....

If you get a Cricut - get the E2 ---

I am not able to comment about the computer based systems....

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to tshelly

I use my cricut as a computer based cutter with my computer. Yep, I was one of the lucky ones who bought SCAL amd didn't update my machine.

I much prefer the computer option. I find it easier to use, I can fill up my mat with images and thenplace paper as needed. Yes, you can do all that in the craft room and on the gypsy. However, I have TONS of fonts and love to cut those. I like the cut gift card holders and envelopes and stuff that I can't find on any carts.

I always say that when my cricut dies I'l getting a computer based cutter. I'll let you all know when it dies so you can fight over my carts.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to Seaexplore

Tiffany, that's exactly why I keep my original E- to use my MTC. I was thinking about getting rid of it when I get my Cameo, because I will be able to actually use MTC with the Cameo, but then I figured how much am I actually gonna get for an old E. And it's been very used! So, thought I'd just keep it for the girls as they get older!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to ChansGram

AND Trish, you have a gajillion cartridges!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM

Trish, if you have the room or a place to store your e, I would say keep it. You never know if or when you will need to pull it out and use. I use the machines (cricuts) for different materials...it comes in handy that is what I told DH too when he asked why do I need all of them....hehehe

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram

• Seaexplore Said:
AND Trish, you have a gajillion cartridges!

But I still have the E2, Mini and a Create if need be. But the E2 being the only other 12x that I have, so I may as well just keep the other E.
I always have room, just needs more re-arranging!!

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 06-22-12 06:19 AM
In response to ChansGram

I have the Expression and I (like seaexplore) have not updated mine and can still use it with SCAL. Right now I'm not scrapbooking at all and only dabbling with digital because I haven't had time. So...I can't justify buying a new machine. However, I would LOVE to have the Cameo! I guess for now though the Expression (w/ SCAL) and my Big Shot will do it for me.

Oh...I about had a heart attack a couple months ago. I had to completely reinstall the operating system on my laptop, which meant reinstalling SCAL. Luckily I had saved the SCAL update files on my jump drive so I was able to reinstall them and it still worked with my Expression. I was scared to death I had lost that ability!

DittoBabyGirl
Governor
DittoBabyGirl
In response to LeeLo

I have an Expression and just got an Imagine about a month ago. I'm keeping my Expression cause I have SCAL and want to be able to still use that. I loveeee the Imagine! The cutting precision is awesome and you can use regular carts as well as the Gypsy with it. I read all the negaitive reviews but got one anyway (great seller on Evilbay)The first machine was defective but I opted for her to replace it rather than just cancel the transaction. SOOO glad I did! Provo Crafts customer service was wonderful (I had an aligment issue with the 2nd machine)

Good luck with whatever you buy and have fun!

From The Beginning
Tenant
From The Beginning
In response to DittoBabyGirl

I am also wanting to purchase a cricut and have read several reviews where the expression 2 is harder to operate for a newbie and is also not preforming as well as the expression....I do want to get the most up to date but want to be able to operate it with ease...there is not a lot of difference in the price at Walmart....also know nothing about this so is there any other things I need to purchase to begin with? would love any advice you'll have....Thanks, Becky

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to From The Beginning

Becky, if given the choice, I would get the E2 over the E, not that the E isn't good, my E was a very loved machine and I got a ton of use from it. I don't even remember why I bought the E2 now that I think back, guess I just wanted it?? But the E2 is all controlled on the screen and I heard that someday they (PC) may do away with the overlays. As far as the learning curve on the E2, I felt it was a bit more than the regular E.
Actually, I still don't know how to use the E2 on its own (and I use it all the time) but I use it with my Gypsy, so it bypasses everything and gets commands from the Gypsy. So I don't have to touch anything other than the power button!
I dont feel the cutting is any better from one to the other.
I don't think you really "need" anything else to get started, it will come with a mat. Extras of those are always good tho!
I like the spatula for scraping paper off the mat and I use a paper piercer to pick my designs off the mat.
Good luck with your decision! Let's know which one you chose.

emunoz
emunoz 
New Kid On the Block
emunoz
In response to From The Beginning

My fiance bought me the Cricut Expression 2 for my birthday last month and I already fell in love with it! Our wedding is 3 weeks away, so he bought it just in time for us to finish up our DIY projects for our wedding.

It is definitely a learning process, but I've been watching tons of YouTube video tutorials and reading blogs and stuff and I'm getting the hang of it pretty quickly.

So far the cartridges I've gotten are: Tags, Bags, Boxes and More (which I also just purchased the scoring tool for!), Pretty Pennants, Wild Card, Birthday Bash (I have the coordinating Cuttle Bug Embossing folders too!)and Cuttin' Up Font.

Joann's is having a sale on the cartridges for $29.99 and the E2 is also $199.99 with free shipping. Amazon has some pretty good deals too!

Page 2 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics