Username Post: Distress Markers        (Topic#1574743)
Sharon64
Resident
Sharon64

After a very long wait I finally got my markers today. I'm not new to scrapbooking and have pens and inks coming out of my ears. I have to say how disappointed I am after playing with different techniques and papers for the past 8hrs!

On plain white 300gsm or 140lb matt card-stock the pens do not blend at all with a water brush. The marker dries on application to the card and becomes impossible to shift, or manipulate.

On high quality gloss photo cardstock the ink dries instantly and gives a crisper image than the matt cardstock to be found in most peoples craft rooms.

I even tried slightly textured linen style card which did give a watercolour effect, but then the paper started breaking up as I tried to blend the ink.

The only card I found to be satisfactory was 140lb cold pressed water colour paper.

So, anyone who has splashed out on the markers hoping to blend them on cardstock had better take a deep breath and spend money on watercolour card/paper too.

Other than that, blending on the stamp and stamping to any paper gave a nice effect, but I was really looking forward to manipulating the ink. I hope Tim will be giving more demos of this product so people know how to get the most out of their pens.

People also need to know not to spend their money on the container. These pens are water based and need to flat, not upright, or ink doesn't flow evenly to the nibs on either end of the pen.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Kim222
Kim222 
Mayor
Kim222
In response to Sharon64

I just recently completed a 2 week series of classes given by Tim Holtz, and 1 class was dedicated to the Distress Markers.

They are very blendable on all kinds of surfaces including watercolor paper, glossy paper, stamping paper etc.

The markers are water based dye inks, so you can't blend the the colors like you would with a Copic marker.

Distress markers are blendable with water. They, like the rest of the distress line of products, are reactive with water. If you lay two colors down next to each other, you can pull the colors and blend them using a water brush.

You can also blend them by coloring with a light color, add a darker color to the edges, go over the darker color again with the light color, then pull the color in with a water brush to create a blended/shaded look.

Another way to blend the colors is to lay down color from one marker on a non stick surface, then use another marker to pick that color up off the surface and apply it to your project that way.

Oh--and, if you want to use them with a stamped image, you'll want to stamp with an oil based &/or permanent ink otherwise your image will smear when working with water.

The Picket Fence marker is a whole other animal.

He also mentioned that they can be stored upright or sideways.

Head to Rangers website for a video on these markers, but I'm sure there are a gazillion others out there, too.

Hope this helps!!

Sharon64
Resident
Sharon64
In response to Kim222

I'm glad someone has responded because I wondered if I had purchased forgeries. I swear they will not blend on anything other than watercolour paper, I even used Ranger manilla cardstock. They go down on the paper surface like a childs felt tip pen and no amount of water will budge them, not even slightly. I've been using water brushes for years and at one point was so frustrated that I just squeezed the water brush to allow a big blob of water onto the ink, but nothing happened!

When I used them on stamps I got a nice mottled watercolour effect, but that was it.

Sharon64
Resident
Sharon64
In response to Sharon64

I just found this really useful vid on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLdeJDZzYLk

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics