Username Post: Canon SX40        (Topic#1576149)
scrappinjan
Idol
scrappinjan

Does anyone have an opinion on this camera? Right now I have a Nikon 40dx, and while it's still in good shape I've never took the time to use all of it's features but I want something more then a point and shoot. The camera gets great reviews on Amazon but I'm thinking that it to maybe more camera then I need.

Here's what I like to shoot.

DS's sports activities. Mainly baseball and basketball, some quad riding.

The dog running around doing doggy stuff.

Landscapes, we have a pretty view of Mt. Rainer off our deck.

And flowers, garden type shots.

TIA.

Jan

Cross_ 
New Kid On the Block
In response to scrappinjan

Looking at some semi-professional websites this camera apparently has gotten very good reviews.

For landscapes & flower photos this camera will give you everything you need. For action photos the focusing speed and the number of photos you can take per second might be a bit low. Still if this is for personal use and not commercial photography it sounds like a great deal.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to Cross_

My question would be why exactly are you stepping away from the D40? Is it the size? Chanigng lenses? Age? As far as being too much camera, you can put it on auto and turn it into a point and shoot.

Knowing why you're stepping away from it would help to figure out which other camera would serve you well.

scrappinjan
Idol
scrappinjan
In response to photo_chick

I'm thinking of moving away from the Nikon because I've never used it as anything other then a point and shoot. Mainly switching from auto to one of the other pre-set functions like sports or the one for taking photos of flowers. I thought I would take the time to learn all the different settings and functions but I never did.

I have two lenses for it the 18 to 105 and 55 to 200. I do switch lenses occasionally at my sons baseball game depending on where we are sitting and which position he is playing.

It tends to be a heavy camera for lugging around, especially the extra lens. It still takes great photos though and I have a 21yo dd who would probably get a lot of use out of it.

PS Thank you both for your answers.

photo_chick
Diva
photo_chick
In response to scrappinjan

I can totally understand wanting to haul aroud less.

The SX40 does cover the same range that you have with your current lenses, so you won't feel like you can't get those long shots. Actually, it has more reach so you'll be able to zoom in even more. And here's a plus... because of the focal lengths and the widest apertures, the lens on the SX40 is actually faster than the lenses you have for your Nikon. That means you'll actually have a little bit better low light capabilities than you have now. The SX40 also has a broader ISO range. So basically, anything your D40 can do on auto, the SX40 should be able to do.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics