Page 1 of 7 
Username Post: Scrapbooking "Rules"        (Topic#1576189)
jlhall 
New Kid On the Block

What are some "rules" of scrapbooking that you would share with someone new to scrapping? I'm going to use this info for a class I am giving so your help is greatly appreciated!!

LesleyC
Diva
LesleyC
In response to jlhall

Rule number one: there are no rules!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to LesleyC

Have fun and do what you like,,,,,,don't worry about anyone else,,,,,don't worry if they think your style is too plain or over embellished. Don't worry if you like the current style and new stuff or embellies that are 8 years old.

It's for you and what you like,,,,,,,

you will only get better, so relax and have FUN.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to CommaHolly

Accept from the start that you will spend too much money on more things and peices of paper than you could ever use in a scrapper's lifetime.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to scrappercaz

Oh but Carolyn, it's so much fun to TRY and use it all

jlhall 
New Kid On the Block
In response to LesleyC

That one goes right along with my favorite....There is no wrong way to scrap!! lol

jlhall 
New Kid On the Block
In response to scrappercaz

Oh Carolyn....my husband would SO AGREE with you!!! But, there is just so much really CUTE stuff out there!! And I have to get the new stuff when it comes out!!

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to jlhall

On buying too much (paper,etc), my dh asks, do you really need that?. My answer, "when did NEED ever enter into the equation?"

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to LesleyC

• LesleyC Said:
Rule number one: there are no rules!

This.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

Pace yourself.

If I had it all to do again, I wouldn't have bought as nearly as much as I first started with!

Basically, you want to be able to enjoy actually scrapbooking vs. spending most of your time organizing or hunting for stuff.

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

- Keep drinks & food away from your projects.

- When using glitter, beware the fan!

- If kiddies, kitties & or fur-babies can reach it, they will reach it.

Those are the 3 that seem to stick out to me the most (danger/mishap-wise).

KellyCali
Governor
KellyCali
In response to KellyCali

- Stay true to yourself.

- Never compare your work to others.

- Just have fun & the rest will eventually come!

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to KellyCali

What everyone else said.

Use good glue.

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to KellyCali

Oh, how right you are. I have only been scrapping for a short time but the stuff I have!!! I so wish that I had bought a little less pp packs way back when I started and that I had waited until I really knew what I was doing and what I wanted to do with the paper.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to runzalot81

I have learned just how important good glue is. When I first started SBing, I used Scotch Magic Tape (yes, I really did). Well, in my gallery you can really notice this. All the LOs in my gallery are over a year old--just uploaded some not too long ago, but they were still old. I have hassles taking pictures of my LOs, so I just don't anymore. But my style has matured and evolved from the kind of stuff that is in my gallery...

Anyway, back on topic: now I use Scotch Double Sided Scrapbook Tape, my Xyron, glue dots, and mod podge. As far as rules go, you will need an assortment of wet and dry adhesive, and finding what works for you may be the journey of a lifetime...

Yes, good adhesive is VERY important.

Kim

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to KellyCali

Everyone is being so polite and at the same time it's kind of mean. We all would have been just fine with a few rules and a lot less stickers in the beginning.

With that, my baker's dozen for beginners:

1. All rules are made to be broken, think of them as suggestions.

2. The only thing you NEED is a trimmer, a glue stick, an album, photos and some paper. EVERYTHING else is a want... and want you will. It is possible to produce beautiful memories for less than $2 a page. Highly unlikely, but very possible.

3. Resist the urge to spread everything out and place "stuff" every 2 inches. This applies triple to stickers, resist the urge to space them out on your LO.

4. People naturally look to top left first. For this reason Many people put title (if they title) in the top left.

5. The eye then naturally goes to the middle and finally the bottom right. If you want to record the story and have it be read after someone sees the picture, this is the natural place for it.

6. The rule of 3 and the rule of thirds are interesting concepts. Some people find them to be law while others ignore them completely. When you have time you may want to read up on them and see if they help you being visually comfortable with your results.

7. Black ink on the edges of everything will help everyone see your layers and make your work pop.

8. Don't buy the Fisker's shape cutter.

9. Everything goes on sale and there is always a coupon. In the beginning there will be many things you want, if you shop at a big box store 50% off retail is the goal. If you shop by mail, try to get the free shipping. If you are lucky enough to have a LSS expect to pay full price but ask lots of questions and expect to pick up information from people who are into scrapbooking while there. The lessons are worth the expense.

10. Better pictures make better pages. If you spend a little time editing your pictures rather than taking them straight from memory card to photo printer, you will probably be happier with your results. Many of the free programs like Picasa are very good.

11. You don't need to print every picture you take and you don't need to scrap every picture you print.

12. Like the rules of 3 and thirds there are also some rules of the color wheels. These come very naturally to some people and for others, not so much. Some people carry a color wheel with them to help maintain visual balance. When you have time check out a site like: http://colorschemedesigne r.com/ it is interactive and may help you feel comfortable making visually comfortable color combinations. If you want something true to a specific photo you might enjoy: http://www.scrapbook.com/color/?m=photo

13. There are no rules, only suggestions. This was rule 1 also, it bears repeating. You will see beautiful LOs with the title on the bottom, journaling on the side, no respect for any rules of 3, or any color wheel and terrible pictures. Breaking the suggestions can be beautiful and works extremely well for some folks.

Edited by Msceejay2000 on 05-09-12 04:05 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to Msceejay2000

There are no rules and I say do what makes you happy!

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to Mia1979

1. There are no rules.

2. Glitter is the herpes of scrap supplies. It will be everywhere.

3. Don't bleed on the Bazzill.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Megan - ForumTech

• Megan - ForumTech Said:
1. There are no rules.

2. Glitter is the herpes of scrap supplies. It will be everywhere.
3. Don't bleed on the Bazzill.

I have a love/hate relationship with glitter. I love how it can add to a LO, but I hate using it. Now I have a term for it..."herpes"

Andra Hoffman
Resident
Andra Hoffman
In response to pugs223

I say and believe...there is no right or wrong way to scrap. If it has the *it* for you...then that's what matters

Page 1 of 7 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics