Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Favorite adhesive (wet and dry) and favorite trimmer??        (Topic#1576229)
jlhall 
New Kid On the Block

There are no right or wrong answers. I just want to see what all kinds of adhesives you all use and why you use that particular kind/brand. Do you have any horror stories about another adhesive?
Also, what kind of trimmer do you use and why that one? Do you have any horror stories about a trimmer or other cutting tool?
Thank you all so very much for all of your help! With your responses, suggestions, and donations, this class is going to be amazing!! I can't wait to get it going and post pics of what we have going on!!

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to jlhall

I use Scotch double-sided scrapbooking tape b/c it holds great while still being repositionable. I use glue dots for embellies and chipboard alphabet letters. Small things I run thru my Xyron sticker-making machine. Used to use Mod Podge with small stuff, but I got sticky fingers. I don't particularly like Mod Podge--it's messy and does not dry clearly (I don't think it's supposed to). I have tried Aleene's Tacky Glue, but the paper puckered and you could tell where I had put the adhesive. So for right now, I have the scrapbook tape, glue dots and the Xyron. I need to find a good wet adhesive, and I think I will try Zip Dry.

I use a guillotine chopper that I got from Office Depot a year ago. My trimmers kept tugging and pulling on my papers--no matter where I got it or what I paid for it. When this happened within one week of getting a new trimmer, I had decided that was it. I switched to "guillotine" chopper, and I am very happy with it. Like I said, it's been a year with no problems.

It took a lot of time and money to find adhesives and trimmers/choppers that are right for me. It seems that is the common experience.

Kim

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to jlhall

Adhesives, I use an ATG, foam tape, make-my-own glue dots, and and Adhesive Tach (wet glue in a fine tip dispenser) I'm not terribly picky about adhesives.

Trimmers are another story. I think I've bought more than 10 different trimmers, I am HIGHLY particular about trimmers. I am currently using a Dahle personal model (fairly spendy at around $70) and will likely upgrade to a Dahle professional at some point.

IMO Dahle is superior in every way. It is super sharp. It can trim the slimmest hair off a peice of paper. With cheaper cutters when you go to trim off a really small piece it folds or tears it instead of cutting it. It also is self sharpening, which is an important feature to me. I don't want my cutter ever getting dull and is a major reason I have broomed so many other cutters. Replacement parts are available. I want to upgrade to the professional model because it comes with a fancy dancy grid holder thing which ensures super right angles and makes cutting things the exact same size easier if that's important to you. It is very spendy though and not a reasonable choice for most people.

Within a reasonable budget I am a fan of the Making Memories folding trimmer. MSRP%50, but with one of those handy, dandy 50% off coupons $25. It is self sharpening, the bed is a full 12x12 for support, it folds up for transport/storage. It has a grid to help you cut things to size and at good angles. I found the silly little magnetic ruler that comes with it came in handy too. There are no replacement parts and the blade is not as good and the Dahle. I do know people who've used it for years and are happy.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by Msceejay2000 on 05-09-12 07:06 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Msceejay2000

For liquid adhesive, I love KI Gloo. Dries clear and holds just about everything. Glossy Accents works well, too, with the added benefit of adding a shiny finish over the top of items (like if you color a stamped image and want something on the image to appear glossy/shiny).

For dry adhesive, I prefer Tombo Mono Adhesive. I get it in bulk and it's a lot cheaper that way. I tried the ATG (borrowed a friend's at a crop) and couldn't get past the size. It just wasn't comfortable for me. I tried the green and pink one, too (looks sort of like an ATG but is smaller) and just didn't like it. To hold heavier items, if I am not using KI Gloo, I usually use glue dots.

My trimmer is a Making Memories trimmer. I've tried several trimmers and I prefer it. Love the self-sharpening blade and the fact that it cuts to 12x12. It is hard to make cuts smaller than 1", though. For those that just can't budget in a MM trimmer, even with the 50% off coupon, I'd suggest a Fiskars trimmer. I just hate having to replace the blades and over time, the cutting channel sometimes get misshapen. However, I had my trimmer for several years before it did that. Well worth the money.

For small cuts, I use the Creative Memories personal trimmer.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to siameseplease

I use Glossy Accents for most everything. I rarely use tape runners anymore at all. I don't even think I have one!

I use glue dots for tons and tons of embellies, flowers and little things.

I also use pop dots for most of my photos and alphas.

I have learned what works for me and what doesn't after years of having things not stick like I want them too!

I have a super old Cricut Trimmer. It works great.

Edited by Manda_K on 05-10-12 05:26 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to Manda_K

Adhesive: ATG for paper, pics and flat embellies, zig pens for little pieces, and Aleene's Tacky glue for bulky embellies. Occasionally I use pop dots and glue dots.

Trimmer: Fiskars 12-in for paper because of it's portability and the the small guillotine Fiskars for photo cropping. However, I think I am in the market for a new 12 inch trimmer. The blade replacement is driving me crazy. I've been cutting heavier paper lately so they are not lasting as long. The other problem I'm having is that it just doesn't seem to line up straight so I'm always having to recut.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 05-10-12 08:16 AM
In response to pugs223

No one has mentioned the X yet. I love it for cricut letters and the other little pieces that I cut with the cricut.

Products Referenced in This Post:

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to Tivi

Like others, I use mainly use my ATG and the Acid free refills. I also use glue dots for smaller embellishments that I cannot use my ATG for. And I love my Xyron! I am thinking about getting the 5 inch one after my cropping weekend when I could have used it a few times. I have a Scotch photo safe, acid free liquid glue, but it's not my favorite. It's convenient because it has a sponge end and a pen tip end, but I still would rather use something else.

I have two Fiskars trimmers, one I use for paper and one I use strictly for photos. I found my blade for my trimmer was getting duller quicker when I was using it for photos, so I thought the by pass one would be better and after using both all weekend, I was correct! I have slight OCD (truly!) so another thing I love about these trimmers is they look like a set because they have the same design on them. That's something little, but it makes me happy!

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to MrsD2008

I just discovered glue dots too. I used ZOTS. It is awesome for ribbon and laces.

pugs223
Idol
pugs223
In response to CrimsonMama

I have both the Xyron X and I think the 5 inch one - haven't used either in over a year. In fact, I don't think I've ever used the 5 inch one besides right when I first got it. Not saying they are bad, they are just not for me.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to Tivi

Tivi--

I mentioned the X above. I use it all the time!

Kim

snoflake517
Veteran
snoflake517
In response to CrimsonMama

I love my atg! And glue dots. And tacky glue.

I have a cricut trimmer and it works fine, but it seems that the blades get dull fast and I have a hard time finding the replacements locally. I've been looking for a new one for awhile now. I'm interested to see what people say.

tealbrand
Governor
tealbrand
In response to pugs223

my favorite adhesive and trimmer

Expert
In response to snoflake517

ATG is my main adhesive, but I also use the Xyron X for letters (but I like the repositionable...one of the few out there that does!); I use a lot of Glue Dots brand glue dots--mostly the mini size, but have several sizes to choose from. For dimension I have found that the Paper Studio brand foam dots/squares (from HL) work just as well as any brand name, but I also have some from SU onhand because they are thinner than what you usually find. For wet glues I use a variety depending what I'm trying to glue (mostly it depends on size and not material)--my favs are the CM Precision Point Adhesive pen, the SU 2-way glue, Glossy Accents (and then Zip Dry if I'm adhering paper to something like chipboard album pages).

For trimmers...sigh...I used a cheap Fiskars for awhile but it stopped cutting straight. I then used a Cutterpede for awhile but it stopped cutting straight too (but I still keep it onhand because I have some other blade styles for it). Now I'm using another Fiskers trimmer and while I like it because it has a base of almost 8" without the arm out, it too is starting to act up (or my photos from Snapfish are not perfectly square...not sure which yet...)

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to HuskerMom98

I love this liquid one. I use it for everything now. Very inexpensive and bonds well enough to hold on the heavier embellishments. It also dries fast and you don't have to use too much. It has a nice thin applicator on one end and thicker on the other.

Mono Multi Liquid Glue

scarlet864
Veteran
scarlet864
In response to olleharr

My favorites are ATG, Scotch Quick Dry. Mono Multi, Glossy Accents or Liquid Glass (same thing, different manufacturer),Zig glue pen, glue dots and foam squares.

My favorite trimmers are the Fiskars 12 inch and the Making Memories rotary trimmer. For cropping photos, I use the CM guillotine style trimmer.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-10-12 01:57 PM
In response to olleharr

ATG, glue dots, 3M Photo Mount, Xyron, Zig, foam dots, Glossy Accents. Krylon Easy-Tack to recondition my cutting mats. I have more glues for a variety of excuses, but these are what I use for scrapping. Primarily. I do want to try Best Glue Ever so I'll get a bottle of that soon.

tchk 
Tenant
  • tchk on 05-10-12 03:10 PM
In response to jlhall

My favorite adhesive is Creative Memories with Glue Glider a close second.

My favorite trimmer is the CM 12" straight trimmer- the one before the rotary. LOVE it.

For trimming pictures I use the "Perfect square" that used to come with Perfect Layers.

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to tchk

My must have adhesives are...

Atg
Beacons 3 in 1
gluedots
foam tape
scotch quick dry
red line craft tape.
zig 2 way glue pen
glossy accents
my glue gun

I have yet to find a cutter im really happy with.

Madding
New Kid On the Block
Madding
In response to andrea m

I am super ghetto and use Elmer's glue stick. It is awesome and I haven't even had a problem with it. Of course, I've never used anything else.

For trimming paper, I have self-healing quilter's cutting mat, a metal ruler, and an x-acto knife. Very versatile, cheap, and simple.

I am absolutely unwilling to spend more money than absolutely necessary on this hobby, which is a kind of fun in itself--to see how much I can make using the least amount of money.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics