Username Post: Paper Trimmers        (Topic#1576353)
scrappitydee
Veteran
scrappitydee

Okay, so, after almost 4 years of not scrapping (and 2 years before that month-long binge), I cannot find refill blades for my trimmer that was purchased back around y2k.

Well, that's not entirely true - I *did* find them, on eBay, for $7 for a 2pack, not including shipping. Which means I could buy 2 refills for the same as a new trimmer....

So, new trimmer it is!

My preferences include:
-must be 12"
-locally available, but I've got all the major stores here (M's, HL, WM, Joann's, even an LSS)
-refill blades must be readily available and low cost, MOST IMPORTANT
-don't really want to spend much over $20 but will consider something great for $25
-it'd be fun if I could find something that would allow more than just straight cuts (zigzag, scallop, stamp edge, etc), but not a requirement

What's out there these days? Clue me in!

scrappitydee
Veteran
scrappitydee
In response to scrappitydee

OH, and guillotines are basically out. I have twin toddlers and I don't want any chopped fingers!

Thinking possibly a rotary trimmer, but I've never used one and am a little nervous....

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I use a Fiskars rotary and I love it and you can get the trimmers and blades anywhere. They cut through 4 pieces of cardstock and it can be lines up to make perfect mats.

I never ever get a crooked cut unless I'm being careless and don't push the paper to the edge. Other than that, the cuts are perfect.

And its a little over 12" which really does help sometimes.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-12-12 02:57 PM
In response to Henri Jean

I'm a fan of Fiskars Blade Style F - mostly because it has a deckle blade. It's a rotary and very easy to change. Plus you can get the trimmer itself in different sizes, and at M's or J's use a coupon, of course

scrappitydee
Veteran
scrappitydee
In response to stick

Thanks ladies! Those are the ones I'm browsing at the moment also....

Henri, are the ones linked there also what you use?

Trying to figure out the differences in these though; not sure why there are so many that use the same blades. LOL I want one that the arm that comes out also goes up to 12" or past....

ETA: Fiskars gray is what I was using before, and sb.com has the blades here for just $4 instead. ROFL Shhh... don't tell hubby!

Edited by scrappitydee on 05-12-12 03:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Mine also takes the rotary blade F - but mine is not pictured above. I can't find a picture of it. It looks almost like both of the rotary pictured but its older so it may just have slight changes.

The background on it has some orange and the pull out bar is clear plastic, not orange.

But functionally, it looks very similar to both of those posted above.

Maybe they just make minor changes every few years so mine is not the new and improved model. But it works great. In fact I have two of them - one for home and one for crops.

Heather N
Veteran
Heather N

Honestly, I have never used one. I used to be a quilter so I have been using a mat and a rotery blade for quilting to crop photos/papers. Is is a lot easier for me.

scrappitydee
Veteran
scrappitydee
In response to Heather N

Thanks ladies!

lizzi97
Tenant
lizzi97

If you are getting a Fiskars, make sure you double check the measurement lines. I didn't look closely enough (I assumed it would all be correct), and I ended up with a crooked one. And for the longest time I thought it was my fault everything came out crooked!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to lizzi97

That is a good warning I never thought about!

Fiskars has wonderful customer service! I mean it is actually awesome! So if you have a problem they have a reputation that they will make it good.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire

I like the new one by Martha Stewart. Instead of a single wing that folds out, it has a slide-out extension that is much more accurate for measuring large sheets of paper. It includes extra blades in a storage compartment, and also includes one for scoring instead of cutting. It also has a magnifying glass along the cutting edge.
Products Referenced in This Post:

scrappitydee
Veteran
scrappitydee
In response to Solitaire

Thanks for the warning, Lizzie!

Thanks for the new suggestion, Sol! Where did you get yours? Do you know how readily available the refill blades are? Thanks!

scarlet864
Veteran
scarlet864

I have a Martha Stewart trimmer that I keep in my scrap tote for crops and I love it. When I am at home, I use my Making Memories rotary trimmer which I love, but it's too big and bulky to take to crops, so when I saw the Martha Stewart trimmer, I thought I would give it a try.

The blade is really sharp and stays sharp for a LONG time, even when cutting thick paper from Paper Trey Ink and Stampin' Up which is what I use the most. I bought my trimmer at Michael's and the refills are really easy to find, and there are three in a package.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to scarlet864

I think I'm going to run out and pick up that Martha Stewart trimmer... I have the cheap Fiskars with the fold out bar- but the fold out orange bar doesn't have measurement markings on IT- so it is hard to do exact cuts... but I have liked my Fiskars trimmer lots-

I also ended up getting a big American Crafts rotary trimmer. Which appeared to be the answer to all my paper trimming needs... a huge flat bed with perfect measurement markings, everything-

But then I can't figure out if it just doesn't work or if I don't know how to make it work. And it shouldn't be complicated to use a paper trimmer to trim paper correct, should it?! Every single time I use the American Crafts rotary trimmer, it cuts in a NOT STRAIGHT LINE WHATSOEVER- it'll seem to be fine but then towards the end, the blade goes all wonky. I can't figure it out. For a second, I thought IS IT A WAVY BLADE MEANT TO CUT A WAVE?! No- it isn't. And it isn't a PATTERN- it just goes straight for a bit then curves.

Ohhh paper trimmers....will I ever find my perfect match? There should be a paper trimmer hook up website. Kinda like match.com but it matches you with your paper trimmer soul mate.

-k

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to designguyKORY

That's funny Kory.

I guess I have my paper trimmer sould mate with the Fiskars rotary.

At our local scrapbook store they have every kind imagineable in the workroom and the Fiskar's rotary is the onlyh one I can consistenly cut straight with.

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet

I love Kory's post, because it seems so true, I see this topic on the forums a lot. I had the Cutterpede, which I love, but occasionally doesn't cut completely straight. It is rotary, and does offer decorative blade wheels. Then after a long search I decided on the Making Memories Rotary, but as someone else said, it's almost too big to pack for a crop. Plus you can't just line it up with the edge on the cutter, you have to use the printed lines, which means sometimes it's not a perfect cut. And you can't tell the EXACT place it's going to cut. So now I'm consider a 12x12 fiskars with the wire.

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to scrapsweet

I have the fiskars I linked to below. It has a measurement guide on the fold out arm and it has the wire to tell exactly where it will cut.

I feel extremely stupid telling you all this, but since I have had this trimmer (January of 2010) I didn't know how to correctly use the fold out arm and measurements to cut paper until about 4 weeks ago........ I would use the 'ruler' on the edge to mark where I wanted to cut, then cut. Durrrr. Since I figured out how to use it correctly (it actually just came to me when I was sitting there trimming) it has made life so much easier! Hehehe

grandmamichelf
Veteran
grandmamichelf
In response to MrsD2008

I have two Fiskars rotary trimmers, both portable. Love them both. However the fold out arm popped off one of them (which is why I purchased the larger second one) but I put it back somehow. So they both are fabulous. It's just difficult on the larger one to read the measurements at 5 inches.

I saw the Martha Stewart trimmer and am thinking about how much I really need a 3rd trimmer (not), but I like the idea of the extension bar instead of an arm. Plus I saw it on HSN when they used it. But we shall see. I do love my Fiskar trimmers.

CrimsonMama
Diva
CrimsonMama
In response to grandmamichelf

I'm using a Bidex Carl 12 inch rotary. My husband had it in his office when I started scraping. I ordered 4 new blades and I think that cost $30. The issue with it is there is a cutting service under the blade that wears out and has to be replaced periodically like the blade does. You can turn it over and use both sides. Once it is worn out and has a crevasse in it, it will cut just slightly off. That part is not as easy to find. So now I want the Fiskars, but I'm stuck with extra blades.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to CrimsonMama

The best trimmer of all is the guillotine (bypass) type. There are several on the market. I have a couple of older ones with wooden bases (purchased years ago at garage sales). The newer ones are made of metal. I used one they had at a Michael's crop, and it was fabulous. I don't remember which brand it was (probably Fiskars).

They are not portable, but can cut lots of paper at once, are straight, accurate, and never need sharpening. The "blade" is not sharp at all. It works by sliding one piece of metal against another. When the edges make contact, that is what cuts the paper.

Every serious scrapper should have one of those trimmers, in addition to a straight cutter and a rotary cutter.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics