Username Post: spellbinders or big shot machine?        (Topic#1576421)
laur.brian77
Guru
laur.brian77

hi everybody! I'd love to buy a die cut machine. which is the best between Big shot and Spellbinders? could you give me advice please? it's urgent!!! thank you

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to laur.brian77

I like the spellbinders,,,,,,it's larger, cuts more dies on the cutting plate at one time, can cut an 8.5x11 piece of paper without trimming, cuts the larger dies, and the embossing is absolutely superior.

Having said that,,,,,I pretty much exclusively cut the chemically etched dies (like spellbinders),,,,

if you cut the thicker dies like sizzix or Tim Holtz dies, the Spellbinders Grand Calibur won't cut those, so go with the big shot/big kick.

Edited by CommaHolly on 05-14-12 09:12 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to CommaHolly

What Holly said.

It's all about what you want. If all you want to use is the thinner dies like Spellbinders as well as the embossing folders, the Grand Calibur rocks for all the reasons she said. It can also fit the largest of the Grand Nesties dies, which the Big Shot can't (from what I am told). However, if you want to cut the thick dies like the Bigz, Tim Holtz, etc, then you need a Big Shot/Big Kick. Basically, I guess you need to figure out what you will be cutting the most and go with that. They're all fun to use.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to siameseplease

If you want to cut any of Tim's dies you will need the big shot. I you want the perfect it would be the big shot pro it cuts all of the grands and all of the larger dies.

KVRLVN
KVRLVN 
Mayor
KVRLVN
In response to Sneezy1956

I love my Grand Claibur, but I use the Spellbinder dies and embossing folders exclusivly.

You can use some of the spellbinder dies in a Big Shot/Big Kick, but you need the additional plates to make the proper sandwich.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-14-12 01:56 PM
In response to KVRLVN

Actually you can use all Spellbinder dies in the Big Shot with the plates that come with the machine, no need to get anything extra. The only exception being a couple of the very largest of the Grand Nesties, which don't fit.

I haven't seen the embossing from the Grand Calibur so I can't comment on its quality. I do think the Big Shot is the most versatile of the two.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to stick

First of all- I LOVE MY BIGKICK and would defend it to anybody's death. If you're going to ever want to use any Sizzix dies (and I can't think why you wouldn't- or at least, I don't like to imagine a world where that could happen) -then get the BigKick.

Everything you'll need to cut with Spellbinders dies comes with the BigKick. The multi-purpose platform can handle any brand/any die. EXCEPT for one thing- the largest of the Grand Nestabilities.

I recently got my first Spellbinders M'bossabilities (think I got that spelling right) embossing folder (the kind where it's two folders in one- you flip it depending on which pattern you want to use) and it worked just fine. It had a weird sandwich recommendation to use it with the BigKick, but I experimented with a 6in trip of some pretty thick chipboard and it worked great-

And because I do love Spellbinders- I would probably buy a Grand Calibur if I found one at a great price or was feeling particularly crazy on a given day. I've caught myself trying to justify it- 'Kory, you know you'd like the GRAND Nestabilites..." but then I just realize if I need a piece of paper cut into a cool shape, I have my Cricut and tons of cartridges, and as I like to say, 'if the shape isn't in Elegant Edges YOU DONT NEED IT!' *

Yes, I said if you want a piece of PAPER cut in a cool shape- cuz cardstock is as thick as you can cut if you go strictly Spellbinders- another reason I love my BigKick- you can cut anything with it- even a slab of concrete**)

Well. I guess I've run out of things to say.

-kory

*exaggeration
**another exaggeration

SherylEb
Idol
SherylEb
In response to designguyKORY

I had a Cuttlebug for years and got a Big Shot in the last 6 months. I love the BS soo much more. Mainly because it stays put and rolls so much easier. I had no problems w CB, but had pre-ordered the new TH Wordplay die and figured out it wouldn't fit width wise in my CB. I could have just not got the wordplay die, but.....I figured that was about as good of an excuse as I was going to get. I LOVE the wordplay die by the way.
I just wouldn't want to put out the money for a Grand Calibur and then have myself limited from thicker dies. Because you never know.

KVRLVN
KVRLVN 
Mayor
KVRLVN
In response to stick

That's confusing. According to the Spellbinders web-site you need their tan embossing mat and white cutting plate to make the correct sandwich in the Big Kick/Big Shot machine. Plus I have read that shims are sometimes required. That was one of the main reasons I bought the GC.

This is from their web-site:

"Big Shot® by Ellison Design™ (Blue)

This machine is capable of cutting and embossing any Spellbinders Die. You will need Spellbinders
White Spacer Plate and Tan Embossing Mat to cut and emboss in the Big Shot machine.

Cutting Sandwich - (Stack from bottom up)
1. Place the Big Shots™ thick white mat down first.
2. Place one Spellbinders White Spacer Plate onto the thick white mat.
3. Place Spellbinders Die, cutting side up (that would mean the side with the ridges) onto the white
spacer plate.
4. Place paper over die.
5. Place two Big Shot acrylic mats over paper and roll thru the BigShot™ machine.
Embossing Sandwich-(Stack from bottom up)
1. Remove the Spellbinders Spacer Plate while leaving the die in place.
2. Place Spellbinders Tan Embossing Mat over the paper and die.
3. Shim with 3 pieces of card stock.
4. Place two Big Shot acrylic mats on top of Tan Embossing Mat and roll thru Big Shot machine.
5. Turn die over and use like a stencil with inks and chalks for added detail.

Big Shot™ (Black & Pink) by Ellison-Sizzix® and Big ShotTM for Stampin Up by Sizzix®

This machine is capable of cutting and embossing any Spellbinders Die. You will need Spellbinders
two Tan Embossing Mats to cut and emboss in the Big Shot™ machine.

1. Place large platform down first with all tabs closed.
2. Place Spellbinders die face up, (that would mean ridges or bumpy side up).
3. Place card stock on Spellbinders die.
4. Place two Big Shot™ acrylic mats on top of cardstock.
5. Roll thru Big Shot™ machine to die cut shape.

Embossing Spellbinders Dies in the Big Shot™ by Ellison-Sizzix® and Big ShotTM for Stampin
Up by Sizzix®

1. After cutting, remove acrylic mats from cardstock and die.
Leave the Spellbinders die in place with paper die cut out still in the die on the multi-purpose platform.
2. Place TWO Spellbinders Tan Embossing Mats on top of die.
3. With one piece of 12x6 card stock tri-fold for a shim and place on top of the Tan Embossing Mats.
4. Place ONE Big Shot acrylic plate on top and run thru the Big Shot machine.
Big Kick™ by Sizzix®

two Tan Embossing Mats to cut and emboss in the Big Shot™ machine.

1. Place large platform down first with all tabs closed.
2. Place Spellbinders die face up, (that would mean ridges or bumpy side up).
3. Place card stock on Spellbinders die.
4. Place two Big Kick™ acrylic mats on top of cardstock.
5. Roll thru Big Kick™ machine to die cut shape.

1. After cutting, remove acrylic mats from cardstock and die.
Leave the Spellbinders die in place with paper die cut out still in the die on the multi-purpose platform.
2. Place TWO Spellbinders Tan Embossing Mats on top of die.
3. With one piece of 12x6 card stock tri-fold for a shim and place on top of the Tan Embossing Mats.
4. Place ONE Big Kick acrylic plate on top and run thru the Big Kick machine.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to KVRLVN

I use Spellbinders in my BigShot all the time and I have no idea what a "Spellbinders White Spacer Plate" is. The only additional thing I had to buy were the tan mats.

I do sometimes have to add some cardstock, depending on the die, for embossing. Never for cutting.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-15-12 07:55 AM
In response to kelseymel

I've never heard of the "White Spacer Plate" either. That instruction must be old? This is what the FAQ says about using the Big Shot:

To cut: Platform with tabs closed, then Spellbinders die template (cutting ridges up), Paper or cardstock and Two acrylic mats
And to emboss: Platform with tabs closed, Spellbinders die with cut ridges facing up and die cut inside of the die, two Spellbinders W-023 Tan Embossing Pads, three pieces of cardstock to shim, one acrylic mats.

ETA: I actually rarely use the shims, instead I open up one tab (or both if it's a thick piece of paper) and just use both acrylic mats.

Edited by stick on 05-15-12 08:05 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to stick

I love my BigShot....never had an issue using any die or embossing folder (except as the others have said, the very largest ones) and I absolutely love that it cuts fabric, grungeboard, chipboard etc...

Alison

KVRLVN
KVRLVN 
Mayor
KVRLVN
In response to kiyawinn

This is one of the reasons I had the hardest time making a decision. All the information was conflicting and confusing. I am glad I chose the GC and the Spellbinders dies. I really love how it works for me.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to KVRLVN

I keep thinking I'll buy a Grand Calibur but to be honest I'm too confused to buy anything right now. I decide on one then get swayed to the other.

I really am confused. I've ordered some nesties and sooner or later I need to order a machine so I can use them.

KVRLVN
KVRLVN 
Mayor
KVRLVN
In response to Henri Jean

That was my problem. I was so confused and all the inforamtion I found was conflicting. It took me 3 months to make a decision. I finally decided that since all I really was interested in was the Spellbinders I might as well go with the GC.

All the dies, no matter what company, are so expensive. It wasn't like I was going to by a huge selection of all of them.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to KVRLVN

Yeah, definitely you're going to want to go with whatever it is you think you're going to use MOST - in my case, I wanted to be able to both use Spellbinders (LOVE THEM) and all of the Tim Holtz and other Sizzix brand dies (REALLY LOVE) and then I started finding and liking all those Quickutz dies, too. SO I picked the BigKick.

I forget what it was I saw that made me want a die cutting/embossing machine- I think I saw something made with it- then started looking at the dies- then started watching videos on youtube this was about 10pm at night. By Midnight, I was mad that Michaels wasn't open 24hours so I could run in and pick up my BigKick.

k

laur.brian77
Guru
laur.brian77
In response to designguyKORY

thank you so much to each of you!!! I have to think about it and then I'll take a decision. thank you very much!!!!!

laur.brian77
Guru
laur.brian77
In response to KVRLVN

thank you. this is a detailed description. I need it! thanks

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet
In response to laur.brian77

Just another person to chime in and repeat it depends on which kind of dies you want to use. For me, I wanted to use the basic and decorative shapes that Nestie's offer, and less the "themed" shapes that the thicker dies offer, and lots of embossing, so I went with the Grand Calibur. That's not to say a big shot or Vagabond isn't impossible in the far future, I just have no interest in those big honkin' dies right now. Careful w/ the GC tho, if you get a sandwich not right it can totally warp your tan embossing mat (cough cough).

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics