Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Confused about paper        (Topic#1576431)
New Kid On the Block

Hey everyone, I'm new here on the site and just wanted to say hey before I asked my question. When it comes to the paper does it have to match colors in the photo or what? I'm totally confused when it comes to paper! Haha, thank y'all in advance and I really hope this question makes since to y'all.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to sncagle

Welcome!

Your paper doesn't HAVE to match anything!

Many people chose paper for a layout based on colors in the photos. Basically, use whatever paper YOU feel looks best with your photos.

Sometimes if you match your paper too closely to your photographs, the photographs seem to 'disappear' on the page. That's something to keep in mind, if you want your photos to be the focus of your page.

Personally, I tend to use more solid colors, because I find it easier to coordinate.

Look around the gallery here and the videos. You'll surely get some inspiration and ideas.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-14-12 12:52 PM
In response to sncagle

Welcome! You definitely don't have to match anything, and you can actively make them clash if you want to. And you'd probably go insane trying to find papers that match your photos exactly. But to be most pleasing to the eye you'll want everything to coordinate and complement each other.

Sometimes this means using colors that are in your photo, like all this pink and yellow here:
PINK Challenge: Waikiki Sunset By Stick

Sometimes it means using complementary colors, and papers that fit the theme (this was part of a road trip so I liked the asphalt background paper, and the blue and yellow help offset the VERY red pictures
Vegas 4Left - Bighorn Sheep By Stick

And with black and white pictures you can use any color at all
Marilyn - page 19 By Stick

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to stick

I match the paper to my photos. I tried not doing that and I didn't like the results. but that was me. do whatever YOU like.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to Lamoo12

There's no right or wrong way. I just go for things that are pleasing to my eyes. I don't tend to match directly to the picture, although I try not to clash, either. I'll usually use complimentary colors. I must admit, though, that I might start my paper choices based on the photo (usually to coordinate, not totally match). However, as I get into it, I just start playing with different patterns in the papers and before you know it, I'm no longer paying as much attention to the photo as I am to working with this or that piece of paper. As long as my first choice of paper coordinates with the photo, it usually turns out okay.

Alright, I guess I wasn't much help, was I? Sorry about that.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to siameseplease

I should add that if you're having a hard time figuring out which patterns work together, try using a bunch of papers from the same line or a stack of papers that came together, like the DCWV stacks.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to siameseplease

I have a rack with my cardstock on it. I grab my picture, pull up a chair and try all kinds of colors with it until something jumps out at me.

Same with the patterned paper. I try a lot of them until something jumps out at me. Sometimes it matches. Sometimes it doesn't.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to Henri Jean

The only time I worry about matching paper somehow with the photos is when someone in the picture is wearing ugly colors (like neon orange), or things like multi-colored plaids and stripes. When that happens, it can take me forever to get the paper right.

I like continuity throughout the album, which means layouts need to coordinate and complement each other. Sometimes this means picking up a color on page 5 that was introduced on page one, etc.

But, as everyone else says, they are YOUR LOs--do whatever makes you happy. Play around a bit and don't be afraid to experiment: that is how you will find your own style.

Above all, HAVE FUN! You will develop an eye for what matches or coordinates.

Kim

Andra Hoffman
Resident
Andra Hoffman
In response to jaspernonyx

Welcome!!
I very rarely match the colors on my photos to my paper. Especially since majority of my photos I scrap are black and white. lol
I am a mood scrapper so I just pick whatever my mood is at the moment.
I think much of it is just personal choice, but definitely no rights or wrongs in either way.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Andra Hoffman

My husband was wearing neon yellow when I took pictures for a layout and was really wondering, "How am I going to match this?"

I went with neon yellow paper and as much as I thought I would hate it - I really like it. I don't normally do neons but I like this one!

Monday Afternoon By Henri Jean

Monday Morning By Henri Jean

mstasha
Veteran
mstasha
In response to sncagle

I try to use only patterned paper that matches the theme of the page or the photos (i.e. if it's a Holiday page I try to make sure that there is something in that paper that depicts that holiday). I usually only will use more neutral or solid papers if I can't find a patterned one that will go. I usually try to at least pull one color from the pics (usually it's for the mat). But like everyone has said, you have to play around and see what is pleasing to your own eye. Sometimes I swear we are our own worst critics

lizzi97
Tenant
lizzi97
In response to mstasha

The color and pattern of the paper can convey mood too.

I like to chose complementary colors to those in my photos or something that will make them pop. For example, if there is a picture of an orange sunset, then a dark purple might make the colors in the picture really shine. However, you never know. Just play around. I learned mostly by trial and error.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to lizzi97

I try to pick out complementary colors. If I am stuck as to what color choose, I use a color wheel for ideas. There is a color chooser on this site that works well.

ScrappinGirl162
Veteran
ScrappinGirl162
In response to wilbur

Hey there! Well, you don't necessarily have to, as long as the colors go well then you're good. I usually try to take colors from the photo & scrap from there, BUT the first rule of scrapbooking is there are NO RULES!!

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to ScrappinGirl162

I tend to pull at least one color from a photo to match up with paper. It just seems like a starting point for me.

res19s2d
Resident
res19s2d
In response to olleharr

I pull out my pictures and go thru my paper until I find what inspires me. Most of the time it is something that compliments my pics.

Happy Scrapping(:

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to res19s2d

if you aren't sure how things will look, try using the Scrap by Color tool on this site. it will tell you what to use with your pics.

pwiswell
Veteran
pwiswell
In response to Lamoo12

I use pattern paper that matches the theme of the photos and then use cardstock that coordinates with a color in the photos. I don't usually coordinate the colors with another layout unless the whole album is based on one theme. Hope this all helps.

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to pwiswell

You can use the same colours from your photo to give a whole look but you can also use a colour that is totally different. You can also use a colour that put the expression on a tiny detail in the photo like the colour of a scarf, or sweater or lipcolour. Using that colour makes the one thing pop out that otherwise is missed.
There really isnt a set rule on how to use colour these days, anything goes really.

And sometimes, when you mix n matching, you'll find colour combinations that compliment eachother. Colours you normally wouldnt use might just end up being the ones you use most.

Dont be afraid to mix n match.

elizabeth97
Veteran
elizabeth97
In response to TheCharmedOne

I just wanted to welcome you to the board and do what makes you happy, paperwise.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics