Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Ordering on TV Dos & Donts        (Topic#1576475)
ThisHobbyStoleMyWife
New Kid On the Block
ThisHobbyStoleMyWife

Perhaps you Veteran ScrapBookers can help me. I'm curious of the pros and cons with ordering stuff from a television shopping network for my wife. If she needs something she usually will go to Michaels or Hobby Lobby. However its a far travel. From what Ive seen they get you on the shipping. However from time to time they seem to have nice things. Would love to hear honest opinions...Thanks

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-15-12 05:24 PM
In response to ThisHobbyStoleMyWife

QVC has great customer service, and I've heard good things about HSN as well. I also admit to ordering things from As-Seen-On-TV (nothing scrappy yet) and they've been just fine too (although the quality of as-seen-on-tv is exactly as you'd expect, lol).

Besides those, there are many fabulous websites, this one included, to buy scrappy supplies from. You still may have to pay for shipping, but UPS and USPS are not free services, someone has to pay for it at some point.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to stick

I ordered twice on HSN for items that were not available in stores, or came with a really good deal. The shipping and handling charge is up front so there are no surprises. The items are delivered very well packaged.

You can call even after the show has aired, as long as you have the item number available and it's still in stock.

Another time I had ordered something but was able to cancel it without a problem.

You need to be aware of the prices as compared to what you can get at a store using a discount coupon, which can often be cheaper than the TV price.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Solitaire

Love the screen name,,,,,,,,

but um,,,,,,,,

HONEY???????? Is that you?????????

mrsdriver5
Idol
mrsdriver5

I got my Cricut bundle from HSN and was very happy with the purchase. Shipping was fast and packaging was great. It was offered during a free shipping promo and the bundle made it a very good deal. I'm a pinchpenny, so I definitely did comparing. Other times I've looked at things and wasn't impressed with the price.

I buy a lot from sb.com and although it's usually not free shipping day, I take advantage of the daily deal, plus there is such a good selection of things that I can't get in regular stores.

I also order from J's online. They usually offer free shipping if you buy enough...and I do J's and sb.com often have different products available, so between the two I can get good selections. I wish J's offered free store-pick-up like many stores do, but online has a much larger selection of products than my local store does.

Mia1979
Diva
Mia1979
In response to CommaHolly

I have purchased things from HSN. I bought my Cricut Expression 2, Slice Fabrique and my Cuttlebug from there. I've also purchased a Cricut cartridge too. They have excellent customer service. I needed to extend a flex pay to another date and they let me do it.

scarlet864
Veteran
scarlet864
In response to Mia1979

I have shopped with HSN and QVC for at least 12 years now, and I love it! Customer Service at both locations is wonderful, and I have never been disappointed with a purchase.

ThisHobbyStoleMyWife
New Kid On the Block
ThisHobbyStoleMyWife
In response to Mia1979

Okay great responses! Now a little off topic. She has a Cricut expression and seems to use it alot. What would be another GOOD tool she couldnt live without? For mothers day i got her a few of those stackable storage shelves and drawers and one wall shelf unit with ribbon holder. She loves them...(so she says) Are there any other good gadgets out there that are a must?

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut

Oh Boy! THAT is a dangerous question!
You will probably get many different answers. My Cricut is my main tool that I use but I also use my cuttlebug for embossing a fair amount. There are several different embossing machines out there and most people love the one they have so I am not sure you can too far wrong with any of them.

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to crazycricut

Oh, and Welcome to this wonderful site, its almost as addicting as scrapbooking itself (sometimes even more!).

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-15-12 06:21 PM

lol, Holly.

ThisHobby - I think one of the best things would be a manual diecut machine like the Big Shot/Big Kick. They do embossing, plus sometimes they're just easier than an electronic machine, and sometimes there's a paper or a tiny cut that simply won't work in a Cricut. I have a Gazelle, which is a computer-driven machine, and I use it and my Big Shot about equally, I love them both.

If she's into minis, a Cinch or Zutter Bind It All would be awesome.

For small tools - so many options!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to stick

QVC no longer carries scrapbooking supplies, but I have ordered from them in the past as well as from HSN. Both have been great.

As for "must haves", she may enjoy a Big Shot Pro or Cuttlebug or Grand Calibur ... they are great die cutting tools that almost any scrapper would want.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to madmatter

A lot of us have ATGs and love them.

I'm debating between the Big Shot and Grand Calibur myself. They just seem to be for different purposes so I may need both.....

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to madmatter

• madmatter Said:
QVC no longer carries scrapbooking supplies, but I have ordered from them in the past as well as from HSN. Both have been great.

As for "must haves", she may enjoy a Big Shot Pro or Cuttlebug or Grand Calibur ... they are great die cutting tools that almost any scrapper would want.

FYI, QVC does still sell scrap booking/crafting supplies.

designguyKORY
Guru
designguyKORY
In response to Henri Jean

I second the BigKick! I use mine much more than my Cricut. I love it and would take a bullet for it...

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to HisGEM

I should have clarified ... as far as I know, QVC no longer has scrapbooking shows on the air and only has a few items online that are left over from when they did host crafting shows. I was very disappointed when they stopped their shows, because I thought they had great ones and I always loved their 24 hour craft days. HSN has stayed with it and carries a decent variety of items. They also have craft shows and even full craft days sometimes.

Both have excellent customer service and easy ordering.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to CommaHolly

• CommaHolly Said:
:spitcoffee:

Love the screen name,,,,,,,,

but um,,,,,,,,

HONEY???????? Is that you?????????

ThisHobbyStoleMyWife
New Kid On the Block
ThisHobbyStoleMyWife
In response to Luvmyfam

Thanks for all of the input. Now its time to check out all of these different tools. You all are a great help.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

I immediately thought of my Cuttlebug too - I use it more than my digital cutter, and the embossing folders are gorgeous. I love it.

Good luck finding something nice for your wife. You're a good man to brave the girlie forums to ask questions.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to RedSquirrel

I'm not so sure about HSN and QVC for scrappy purchases since I've never gotten anything crafty from them, so I'll leave those answers to everyone else.

You are so sweet to come ask these questions in an effort to get just the right gift. If you go with something like a manual die cutter, I'd suggest that you get her a die or two (spellbinders nestabilities are a hit with most everyone, it seems) or maybe a few embossing folders so that she can play as soon as she gets it. It sucks to get a new tool and have no way to use it because you don't have the dies or whatever.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics