Username Post: Fonts, titles, journaling..OH MY!        (Topic#1576569)
LarasMama
New Kid On the Block
LarasMama

Hello all!

I have a question, and it's been eating at me as I feel it's really a weak point in my layouts.... FONTS! How the heck do you all get such beautiful fonts for your titles or journaling(if you don't use your own hand writing)? I recently did my first 12x12 LO (very simple, color block from the "Scrap By Color" tool here) and I really wanted a specific cursive style of font for the title, but when I printed it out on my cardstock I became lost as to how I got rid of the paper around it--if you get my meaning? I tried to use a exacto knife to cut out the letters but immediately frustrated by the rough lines and the lack of curvature to it. Thankfully I had stickers that I thought were lovely and complemented the colors and used them instead.

Hints or tips & tricks would be lovely.

Thanks!

scarlet864
Veteran
scarlet864
In response to LarasMama

I use my Cricut machine to cut the titles for my layouts. Before I had a Cricut, I used Thickers and alpha stickers or I stamped my titles.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to scarlet864

I cut out titles on my Cuttlebug. I also buy stacks of "alpha punch-outs," where you just punch out the letters. Some people don't like them; I love them. And, there are some really cute alpha sets out there--I am going thru a phase where I feel I must have them all!

Kim

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to jaspernonyx

In addition to cutting letters from Cricut cartridges or Sizzix dies, I also like using letter stickers. I've also printed titles out onto colored cardstock and used them as-is without cutting out the individual letters.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-18-12 07:55 AM
In response to aquabunny

In addition to the above - if I want to fussy cut the title I make certain to use a font that is easier to cut - something thick with not a lot of curlicues, like this:
Champagne and Shovels cover By Stick

Often I print on vellum, when you glue it down (using Photo Mount or Xyron to get total coverage of glue on the back) the vellum kinda disappears into the paper. So depending on the color of your paper and the color of your printing this may or may not work very well, you have to play with it a bit.
Cookbook Project: Tuna Mousse By Stick

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to stick

If you want to use fonts, keep in mind that you don't HAVE to cut out each letter. Here are examples of projects I've done using computer fonts.

NSD Challenge 3 Journaling By Here Kitty

Cities in the Sand *Mar/Apr 10 Scrap 'n ARt By Here Kitty

Once Upon a Time By Here Kitty

lizzi97
Tenant
lizzi97
In response to Here Kitty

I used to use a lot of stickers. Now I'm mostly trying to use up my stash, since I started stamping. I picked up some acrylic stamps a little while ago, and they are awesome! I can use them over and over again and not need to keep shelling out money for more stickers (which often have an odd distribution of letters anyways - 5 "m"s and 2 "n"s, really?)
Products Referenced in This Post:

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to lizzi97

I used a Sizzix original machine for a bit (less than 2 months) then upgraded to a Cricut Expression 2 and I really love that. Can't imagine my LOs without it!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to MrsD2008

stencils help too. you can mist, paint, draw, color them in and reuse it too.

pwiswell
Veteran
pwiswell
In response to Lamoo12

If you plan to scrapbook a lot, you might want to purchase one of the above. Personally, I love the cricut machine because there are so many cartridges I can buy to go with it.

deedee w
Resident
deedee w
In response to LarasMama

I do my titles in many different ways. I also have a Cricut, a Quikutz, and a Big Shot. I have dozens of letter stickers, many font stamps, and I've also been known to draw and hand cut my titles. I occasionally print them out from my computer, sometimes of vellum or transparency. I also like to journal on the computer. I really don't like my handwriting, but I know that one day my children will like the handwritten journaling so I do it sometimes.

New Kid On the Block
In response to aquabunny

Which alphabet dies to you have for your Sizzix?
I have been looking for one but can't seem to find a set that I like.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to rleaster

I have Boxed Brush, Round-a-Bout, Limelight, Fruit Smoothie, Sunset, Alphabuckles, Wallflower, and Lollipop.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics