Username Post: Hidden Journaling        (Topic#1576597)
MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008

I never could figure out why someone would hide the journaling...and then how would someone look at it because the pages are in page protectors, right?

Well, I have come across a situation where I might like to use hidden journaling...how do I go about doing it?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to MrsD2008

A tag in a pocket (and you can cut a slit in the page protector to pull the tag out). A flap that opens to show journaling behind it (could go behind a photo - and again, you could cut a slit in the page protector to let the flap open). A sheet of writing tucked between the two layouts in the page protector. A sheet attached to the back of the layout (or just writing on the back). A slide pull that would work similarly to a tag (again, a slit if you want to be able to read it easily. A double-layered large embellishment with a brad holding the layers together and the journaling on the bottom layer (the top layer swings away with the brad, and with some work, this can also be readable even with a page protector.)

There are lots of examples in the gallery.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to aquabunny

Ok, page protector is an idea. I want to do some hidden journaling on my family photos espcially. It will be long, not tag size. Larger like 5x7. I want them to look as nice as the and the papers to match.. I need to figure out what the pocket will be (behind the LO) and what will I use as a tab to pull it out. I search the gallery and I've seen some ideas but did not run across excatly what I have in mind.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to CrimsonMama

Another thing I've done - it wasn't for hidden journaling specifically, but for a postcard - I cut up one of the page protectors with the 4x6 pockets in it and hinged that with a brad. I had that on the outside of the page protector so I could swing it out and fold it over to read the back of the postcard.

For large pockets, you can make them yourself but I really like the Smash pocket from K&Company for large items - and you could even mount them behind the page, with a slit in the paper, if you don't want the pockets to show.

MissaOnTheRun
Mayor
MissaOnTheRun
In response to aquabunny

I've used hidden journaling a few times. Once I matted the photo on a card. It leaves the journaling inaccesible and that was the plan for that LO. The journaling was private for me and possible my DD will come across it one day.

The others I did with the journaling pocked attached to the back of the LO with a ribbon to pull the journaling out at the top of the LO. This way the journaling can be easily reached with out cluttering the LO. Those both had very long journaling.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to aquabunny

Hinged with a brad is good idea too.

CrimsonMama
Mayor
CrimsonMama
In response to MissaOnTheRun

• MissaOnTheRun Said:
I've used hidden journaling a few times.................

The others I did with the journaling pocked attached to the back of the LO with a ribbon to pull the journaling out at the top of the LO. This way the journaling can be easily reached with out cluttering the LO. Those both had very long journaling.

This is what I am thinking I want to do....what did you make the pocket out of or did you use something already made?

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to CrimsonMama

My LOs with hidden journalling usually have a pocket behind a photo mat or a layer of paper. I put a ribbon in the top of the journalling which just sticks out of the top of the page protector. Then it can be pulled up and out to read, and tucked back easily afterwards.

Here's an example. Not a very good one. I can't find the one I wanted to show you - it has a wedding invitation tucked behind an enormous photo. But this one gives you a pretty good idea.
Pathway to my Paradise By RedSquirrel

deedee w
Resident
deedee w
In response to MrsD2008

I have done hidden journaling many times for different reasons. Sometimes I just don't have the place of it on the layout, but want to include it. Sometimes it's for the intrigue. Sometimes it's because the journaling is personal. People looking at my albums will know it's there and it only takes a second to pull the page out and slide out the journaling.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics