Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How do I recreate this...        (Topic#1576607)
Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn

I have a picture of my granddaughter learning to eat with a spoon. She is eating choc pudding and has it smeared all over and dripping off her face.

I want to do a LO with the look of melted choc or pudding, smeared on the page and dripping.

Does anyone know what type of product(s) I will need to achieve this look?

Thanks in Advance
TIA

PaulaB102
Tenant
PaulaB102
In response to Love 2 Learn

How about dimensional fabric paint? It comes in lots of colors so I'm sure there's an appropriate brown. (The texture is similar to Glossy Accents. I know Ranger Ink makes dimensional paints too, but I could only find 'pearl' shades.)
It should give you the drippiness you talked about. The only drawback I can think of is the thicker it is applied the longer it takes to dry.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

• Love 2 Learn Said:
I have a picture of my granddaughter learning to eat with a spoon. She is eating choc pudding and has it smeared all over and dripping off her face.

I want to do a LO with the look of melted choc or pudding, smeared on the page and dripping.

Does anyone know what type of product(s) I will need to achieve this look?

Thanks in Advance
TIA

I've used glossy brown paint for this effect. The Liquid Pearls might work well, too.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Aw cute!

How about using scissors, a die or a cutter to cut paint splotches, or dribbles (I'm sorry, I have no idea whether Cricut makes a cartridge with splatty shapes on) out of brown paper, and then covering them in Glossy Accents to make them look shiny?

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to RedSquirrel

You could try adding a punched border in brown paper. Either the Martha Stewart Drippy Goo border punch, or the Fiskars Grass border punch (upside-down) could be used for that effect.

Note: I see the Fiskars Grass punch has been discontinued here, but I saw it at Michaels, so you might want to check it out there.

Edited by Solitaire on 05-18-12 02:09 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to RedSquirrel

I did that effect on these chipboard letters just using watery acrylic paints ... tilt the page and let it run as far as you want

The Joy of Cupcakes By SuperAllyFan

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to SuperAllyFan

I was thinking of the drippy goo punch as well ... it's so much fun

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to madmatter

SuperAllyFan, I just have to say--those cupcakes are HUGE!

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne
In response to MrsD2008

You can use a texture paste as a base on the page. Just put it on the paper with a spatel or paint brush, it doesnt need to be perfect. Then you can use a brown coloured paint to mimic the chocolate. Over the paint, you can use brown enbossing powder, the smooth, slick feel and look of the embossing will mimic the chocolate just perfectly. Thats how I would do it....

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to MrsD2008

• MrsD2008 Said:
SuperAllyFan, I just have to say--those cupcakes are HUGE!

Yep!! Yummy too!!

Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn
In response to SuperAllyFan

All great ideas ladies!!!

My trouble is that I don't have any of the products you all suggested, and no big craft stores within 2 hours of my home... except Walmart.

I really think that Liquid Pearls looks like it would work good. But I would have to order it. Our Walmart doesn't carry much in Sbing supplies.

We do have a lss & I called her to see if she had any of the products mentioned, and she did not. She did suggest that I could go to Walmart & get some "Gesso" (thick white texture paint) and mix it with brown Acrylic paint.

Kimmi.....love your Cupcake LO. If I can find some brown acrylic paint at Walmart, I might try your suggestion!

Thanks Again for your help!!!

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne

Yes gesso would work great but you really dont have to mix it cause mixing brown with white will make beige. It's better (speaking from own experience) to paint it after the gesso is dried. I paint it first before embossing for this reason, to create a base coat/colour incase the embossing doesnt take all the way. It wont show as much

Good luck on creating chocolate paper ...

Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn
In response to TheCharmedOne

• TheCharmedOne Said:
Yes gesso would work great but you really dont have to mix it cause mixing brown with white will make beige. It's better (speaking from own experience) to paint it after the gesso is dried. I paint it first before embossing for this reason, to create a base coat/colour incase the embossing doesnt take all the way. It wont show as much

Good luck on creating chocolate paper ...

I have no experience with working with these types of products. I do have a heat gun, but no embossing powder, paint, or gesso (or like product).

I would like to place an order from here to get the products I need. Would you be kind enough to link the products you think would work best for what I am needing?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

I would just use brown acrylic paint - I've done that and it works just fine. I even got my paint at Walmart

Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn
In response to Here Kitty

• Here Kitty Said:
I would just use brown acrylic paint - I've done that and it works just fine. I even got my paint at Walmart

Thanks Amy...I think that would be the cheapest way to go. I looked in your gallery to see if I could find a LO that you used this technique on, but you have a very large gallery!!!

If you have a LO (already in your gallery) where you have used this acrylic paint, would you care to link it here for me to see?

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

I did a craft project at a crop once where we smeared Liquitex Acrylic Heavy Body white paint (it's like a cream) over chipboard (available at J's). I created little hills and valleys and let it dry for a brief time. We then hit it with glimmer mist. It looked just like frosting when I was done. If I were to do it again, I would probably use Mister Huey's because I believe that mist isn't sparkly.

Edited by Luvmyfam on 05-19-12 12:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn

I did a Halloween layout where I just dripped paint from the top of the page...I squeezed a line of acrylic craft paint (from the dollar store) onto my craft mat and then ran the edge of the paper through it, tilted the paper up and let it run down....
It's pretty easy and you don't need anything special (of course, I would use brown paint for chocolate!)....

Boo! By Kiyawinn

Alison

1momma 
New Kid On the Block
In response to kiyawinn

I have a paint splatter die that I have used for this and it turned out really cute. If you want I would be more than happy to punch a few and mail them to you just let me know.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

• Love 2 Learn Said:
  • Here Kitty Said:

Thanks Amy...I think that would be the cheapest way to go. I looked in your gallery to see if I could find a LO that you used this technique on, but you have a very large gallery!!!

If you have a LO (already in your gallery) where you have used this acrylic paint, would you care to link it here for me to see?

I don't have the project uploaded that I have in mind, but the look was very much like the letters on the cupcake layout above.

simplycrafty
Veteran
simplycrafty
In response to Here Kitty

I used modge podge and gloobed it on so when i tilted it, it dripped down than put red embossing powder on it to make it look like blood and it was a really cool effect you could do it with brown embossing powder too im sure!!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics