Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Has anyone moved from postbound        (Topic#1576609)
grandmamichelf
Veteran
grandmamichelf

albums to 3 ring binders?

I really want to move my layouts that I've done from the postbound albums to 3 ring binders. I don't scrap photos chronologically but I do know what years they belong in. It would be difficult to sit down and take the posts out and swap the layouts around and then put them in and put the posts in. Plus I think I can tag the outside of the 3 ring binders better (or label them) with the years. Problem is I have about 15 scrapbooks that are post bound so what would I do with those?

And if I do this, will my 12x12 protectors fit in the binders without me having to actually take the layouts out of them? Or maybe I should just suck it up on those 15 and tear them apart, put them back together.

melissadam
Angel
melissadam
In response to grandmamichelf

I switched recently for the same reason ......I now use the post bound for special events that require several pages or trips .....I am very happy with the change!

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to melissadam

I only use the 3 ring albums now. All my older LO's are still in the post bound. HATE the postbound, much easier to rearrange pages as necessary.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to ScrappyMama6

I also made the switch. But I left all my old albums as they were.

If you do decide to move pages into new albums be careful as not all pages work with all albums. Even the We R Memory keeper albums use different pages for post verses ring.

You could put your post bound albums on craigs list or look for a scrappy garage sale at a LSS if you have one. Or donate them to a local school/church

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to MrsAnnieS

I had about 23 postbound and moved them into 16 or 17 3-ring. MOst of the pages fit just fine.

Now I have 23 of the 3 ring completed.

Don't ever want another post bound. Cheap ones were thrown away and the nice leather ones are put aside in case I ever do a book for a gift or my granddaughter wants to do a scrapbook when she gets older.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Henri Jean

I use both. I prefer 3ring for year albums and postbound for special occasions - wedding, honeymoon, ect.

I say suck it up for these ones and then switch.

kiyawinn
Guru
kiyawinn
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I switched to 3 ring and like pp I left my old albums as is...just started using 3 ring.
Maybe someday, I'll go back and change them over as well but can't be bothered right now....
I switched awhile back when the pages for the album I was working on wouldn't fit in the postbound album...I love the 3 ring. So much more fits in them and it's easy to move stuff around.

Alison

prittb
prittb 
Diva
prittb
In response to kiyawinn

I moved everything over to 3 ring and love it.

grandmamichelf
Veteran
grandmamichelf
In response to prittb

Wow, thanks for the great responses. I will have to mull over the trouble it will take to switch them around. The thing I know is that I have all different years in different albums and I just want to put same year layouts together now. I never thought about it until I tried to remember what I had scrapped and hadn't scrapped a few days ago.

I looked at the 3 ring binders on here. $30.00 is a lot for just one, but then I thought...they should last a long time so is it really that much? And do I really need to buy them all at once? Maybe I will try doing one and go from there.

I do know that the Make A Wish trip we took with our daughter will stay in the binder I have it in. I won't be adding to it.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to grandmamichelf

The superstore here usually has albums on sale monthly as the "deal of the day". That might be a good time to stock up.

I love 3-ring albums and started using them a few years ago, but am leaving my post-bounds as-is. It's too expensive to not use the ones I already own. As for switching them, I've always used top-load page protectors, so it usually doesn't take me long to switch pages to the albums that they belong to.

Mother Goose
Diva
Mother Goose
In response to Luvmyfam

I went the other way, from 3-ring to post bound when I went from doing 8-1/2" X 11". I like my 2-page los to "touch" edges. However, I did like being able to "shuffle" pages around.

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to Luvmyfam

I think I would like the ease of 3 ring but I really like the look of postbound. Not only with the way the layouts look, (closer together) but the albums themselves are prettier. I have seen some cute 3 ring but most of the ones I like are posrtbound so that is what I keep buying.

MrsD2008
Veteran
MrsD2008
In response to crazycricut

I thought I was the only one to keep buying/using post bound!

Personally, I don't have kids and when I scrap, it is about 1 specific topic/trip/etc. so I like it all in it's neat little album. I will, however, be looking more into buying a three ring album for our camping trips. We go several times a year and it would just be too much to make 1 album for each trip or even 1 album for each year. I am hoping a 3 ring will be able to hold a few years of camping trips. I already have a back log on those photos from 2009......

Is it common to not be able to find 3 rings at stores like Joann's, AC Moore, etc? We don't have many independent LSS, just the chains. Every time I go in, I look for a 3 ring and I can't find any...

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to MrsD2008

I used to use the CM albums exclusively, but when I started adding more dimension to my LOs, I switched to the D-ring albums and haven't looked back. I don't even notice the gap on the 2 page LOs and the albums can lay flat no matter how much dimension I use.

Expert
In response to madmatter

I like the postbound too. I just have to learn when to stop extending them. I really like how my 2 page layouts look in them (as I've said in a previous thread). And..I need to get better with putting those cardboard strips in to even out the more embellished pages. Sometimes my books don't lay flat when closed.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to deedee49

I forgot to mention that I switched most of my postbound to snap n load....

I find them easier to work with and my pages still touch....
Products Referenced in This Post:

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 05-19-12 07:08 AM
In response to MrsD2008

• MrsD2008 Said:
I thought I was the only one to keep buying/using post bound!

Personally, I don't have kids and when I scrap, it is about 1 specific topic/trip/etc. so I like it all in it's neat little album. I will, however, be looking more into buying a three ring album for our camping trips. We go several times a year and it would just be too much to make 1 album for each trip or even 1 album for each year. I am hoping a 3 ring will be able to hold a few years of camping trips. I already have a back log on those photos from 2009......

Is it common to not be able to find 3 rings at stores like Joann's, AC Moore, etc? We don't have many independent LSS, just the chains. Every time I go in, I look for a 3 ring and I can't find any...

I rarely find a 3 ring or D ring at J's or M's. HL carries the American Crafts brand (cloth covers) and one other brand that is a leatherette type stuff. I have several D ring albums of each of these brands.

My fav is the WRMK lavendar from HERE, and, go figure, it was the most expensive one!

m.perk
m.perk 
Governor
m.perk
In response to Tivi

About a year ago I started using the 3 ring binders. LOVE them so much more. I am planning on moving everything I have from post bound into three ring but just havent had the time or money to do it just yet. I can fit so many more pages into the 3 rings......so worth the hassle!

besskinn
Tenant
besskinn
In response to m.perk

That's exactly why I switched. I am not a chronological scrapper, but like my pages to be kept in chronological order and I always get so frustrated with postbound albums. I'm using all American Crafts 12x12 ring albums in the same color now and I absolutely love them!

NMlady
NMlady 
Governor
NMlady
In response to Mother Goose

• Mother Goose Said:
I went the other way, from 3-ring to post bound when I went from doing 8-1/2" X 11". I like my 2-page los to "touch" edges. However, I did like being able to "shuffle" pages around.

I did the same thing.
I think I'm going to get a 3 ring to put the layouts of my grandaughter in until I get the first year done to make it easier to move them around and then move them to the post bound I bought.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics