Username Post: Photo Overwhelm        (Topic#1576793)
Vae
Vae 
Diva
Vae
  • Vae on 05-23-12 06:32 PM

I know there's not a "real answer" to my question but I can't seem to focus on my task tonight so I thought I'd chat with you guys instead.

Tonight I had planned on going through my Italy photos. I have over 2500 of them. :/

I'm totally overwhelmed. I know that I should take small sections at a time and work through them, but I wanted to see if anyone else here has any tips for weeding through when you have tons of photos for one event (or series of events). Does anyone have any patterns that you have found to be most effective/efficient?

I usually group together all the photos that are similar or from the same specific event, and then compare two at a time, picking the best of the two, until I've narrowed it down enough. But with this many photos, it's quite daunting.

Thanks in advance!

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to Vae

I don't know if this is any help but with my over 500 weddig photos, I started by seperating them according to the timeline of the day. For example, a pile from the morning, then from that pile I made a pile from dressing, a pile from opening the card from the husband, a pile from seeing my bouquet etc. etc. Of course I ended up with a lot of piles but then I just picked my favorites from each pile and I eventually narrowed it down to 100. I just recently narrowed it down even further - to just 20 for a 6x6 mini I'm making for our anniversary. Good Luck and remember it isn't necessary to use every single photo. :-)

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Vae

I feel your pain. I am currently working with over 3,000 photos from a Thailand trip. 1st thing I did was go through and star the absolute best photos, about 75, so I could share them immediately with friends & family.
Then I threw any hope of doing an album with traditional materials out the window. I went digital. I want LOTS of photos on LOTS of pages. I have made 20 pages already and I am not even done with the first day of the vacation.
I think it's important to get a overview of everything you have because you may use photos out of order based on your needs.
I use photoshop's bridge which gives me the option to add up to 5 stars to an image. Then I can sort by stars. Example. I want to do a 2 page spread on the local food. So I tag all photo shots with food with 2 stars. Later I can quickly sort by stars and see all of my food shots. There are other programs you can use to do the same thing.
Another simple method is to just create folders and move photos like photos you know you don't want to use. It reduces number of photos making the whole thing easier to deal with. But then if you are in a pinch and need a photo for a page you can always check out your rejects.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Been there, done that. I have found that works best for me is to start with the digital photos. I separate the photos into folders by region. I then scrap something from each region, printing just my favorite photos (choosing favs can be hard). I then put all of the photos on a CD and keep that with my album.

For picking my favs to work with, my DH taught me that the best way is to first disregard the ones you don't like. It makes choosing from the rest a bit easier.

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5
In response to Vae

On Thursday nights I scrap w/my daughter, working on her April, 2011 trip to Hawaii. Our family is known as the paparazzi family...so lots of pics! She wants her album(s) in chronological order, so she only printed out(snapfish)the first couple of days. It was still 100s of pictures, but not quite so overwhelming. She'll print out another day or two when she's close to finishing the 1st few days.

Since they did several things each day, she sorts the day she's working on by activities, keeping the pics from one activity out to work on. Then it's picking out the best pics and arranging them to go with the papers that she bought. She scraps her favorite pics that give a good idea of what they did, then puts the other good-quality pictures in 12x12 photo protectors to put at the end of that activity. (I hope this is making sense~)

She's also planning on doing a daily collage so all the pictures from a day will be on one page. I have a collage program (ShapeCollage), but I know there are others on the web. I'm also working on a big album that will have collages, so once we're both done, we'll get our 12x12 collages printed (cheaper to order several together).

Jini, my dd, is on her 2nd D-ring and she's only on the 3rd day. She scraps pretty flat, but lots of pictures!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to mrsdriver5

I had about the same number from my trip to Cambodia. Not that I've started the album yet!

But I've decided to choose only the best photos which embody the holiday. Some temples will get their own page, and other pages will show several temples. Two or three special ones will be allowed a 2-pager, with one page showing a large photo with hidden journalling behind, and the other a collage of lots of small ones.

I want to include lots of green, texture, windows and tearing because the ruined temples were all about seeing through to the next doorway. I have bought at least 20 sheets of different green patterned papers (not from the same range), and I plan to mix them all up to provide a running theme, but have each page look as different as the temples are.

I realise your vacation was quite different, but can you use the same approach?

RockStar
Queen
RockStar
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Lots of pictures can be overwhelming, but it's not a problem! Better to have too many than the regrets of not having the shots.

When I'm travelling, I try to stay on top of the volume by going through each days pics that night, deleting anything downright horrible, and taking multiple shots of the same thing right there that narrows it all down to the very best shots if I do that every night. Once I get home and download, I go through that again, day by day, narrowing it down even further to the very best shots of everything. With that, that brought me down to 800 pics, divided over the # of days we travelled, it wasn't an unreasonable amount of pics per day.

And then I took the scrapping just one day at a time, again, it's doable in those small doses. As I scrapped, there was additional culling which comes naturally. In the end, some days had several scrapped pages, but the trip is all in one album, and I can't even remember anything I must have deleted because when I look at the album, I relive the entire trip, so that to me spells success.

Good luck and have fun scrapping!

cshortel
Guru
cshortel
In response to RockStar

I'd start by separating them by city/place. Then maybe by monument/other specific. Pick out the ones I liked best and see if there is another way to sort by also.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to cshortel

If you already have them printed out, I'd make piles by day. Then break those piles down by event or timeline of the day. Then once you have those piles, see if you can break them down by category (i.e., architecture/monuments, people, local animals, food, etc). Then you can break it down by which monument it was. From here, you should have about the smallest group you'll get, so start looking through the pics and comparing them. Pick the best ones to scrap. I don't feel the need to scrap them all. What I'd do is scrap the best, then get those pages to go into your album that just show pictures. In one of the picture slots, you could put a journaling spot to ID the photos on that page.

Ohio4HMom
Expert
Ohio4HMom
In response to siameseplease

what a friend of mine does with the pictures she doesn't use in her lo's is to punch bits of the pics out with a puzzle shape punch or square punch and uses them later

the squares she makes "quilt" lo's of for scrapbook covers or other pages

the puzzle pieces she makes puzzles out of or uses them as embellishments

susanlk
Expert
susanlk

My pictures download into folders by individual day automatically. I go through each folder and rename the pics, delete any horrible ones and make note of which picks I want to print in larger/smaller sizes.

My favorite pics get printed in 5x7, the good/above average get printed in 4x6 and the average/excess generally get printed 4 to a 4x6 print to use as filler or accent photos.

When I get my pics from the printer, I then roughly organize them so similar pics are together. Then I just scrap what I feel like scrapping. By the time I'm done, there are some photos that don't make the cut & either get trashed or stored in a divided page protector (WRMK ones).

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to susanlk

I too have this problem with a 2 month event we just finished and a 3 day vacation from a few months ago. I get overwhelmed, especially when prints are on sale! I feel I must get them printed at the great price!

I have my pictures stored by day date which is a help. When I have a little time I go through a day or event and store on disk what I need to print. All that I don't print are deleted and after I print I save those to a "done" file. When they're all printed I start my piles like siamese said and go from there.

Once you get your routine figured out I hope it won't be as overwhelming to you and you can enjoy your travels. Good luck!

and may I add: I started journalizing on the computer (the Henri technique!) and that is wonderful! It doesn't take alot of time to keep a running document in word. I do it not only for trips but for all my picture taking.

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to wilbur

Wilbur, I have always journaled that way, too. I kept a running journal from my Germany trip that I then typed up in Word and just printed off as I worked on that page. So easy!

TheCharmedOne
Pro
TheCharmedOne

Pick those who catch yer eye instantly. Those that have that instant wow factor will be the ones you'd love most to work with. Ofcourse you can stick em all in an album all grouped together but then you'll get the same feel as you have now...overwhelmed.
Also, it helps to page thru em, take those out you instantly like n then put the photoalbum away. The a few hours later or next day, page thru it again n take those out you like.
You can repeat this a few times.

I have the same task soon tho, I'm getting all these papers for me brother's wedding photo's.
I was their wedding photographer and I snapped close to 800 photo's I have to sort thru those to only get those that I truly love. The album will be for meself as they have their own.
I then will be making the majority of them in black/white scene. It'll be a lot of work so on that part, I feel yer pain

elsje2
elsje2 
Expert
elsje2
In response to TheCharmedOne

When we travel, we normally go with a group of friends and we exchange all the pictures we took. Normally one trip leaves me with 1000's of pictures.
They are all digital and on my computer I start with making folders of each day. The worst part is trying to decide which pictures I want to use in an album. I go through the folders, making a new folder for the ones I want to have printed. If I like two pictures which look similar, I will put them both in that folder and later decide which one I will use.
Next step is looking if I have enough pictures to scrap a certain event or maybe too much. I have to confess if I think it is too much, I hardly ever remove any, but get them printed anyway. Since I do not print my pictures myself, I need to see which size I want them (that is pretty hard). When I receive the pictures I normally get at a loss. So I have started going through them, putting the pictures which go together in a file. Currently I am following a Power Layout workshop and I hope this will help me get a total view. That way I know which pictures go on a page, which events I have to scrap in more than one page and I know which pictures are left and I do want to use. Currently I am working on an album for our Asian trip, in which I want to include about 500 pictures. The album will be partly chronological, but I made LO's from the restaurants we were, the dishes we had, the airports we have been to etc. If I have extra pictures I do not use in the LO about that subject, I put them aside and use them on the cover, title page or the country page I make for each country we have been too. I did not use Power Layout for this album, but I certainly will for the next one.

I know what you are going through. I still have lots of pictures from our Japan journey and I have stopped making the album, because it is so much, I am completely overwhelmed. Just look at it this way: your trip to Italy must have been fun, if you have so many pictures!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics