Username Post: cricut without cartridges, is it posible?        (Topic#1576911)
dulcecito
Veteran
dulcecito

Hi!, i have seen there are some software like "sure cuts a lot", or "make the cut", that allow you to use a die-cutting machine with out using cartridges, but the actual versiom does not support the Cricut machines, and you can no longer purchase a version that works with the Cricut.
Do you know a software that still working with the cricut or another solution?

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to dulcecito

There are other electronic cutting machines that do not use cartridges at all, such as the Wishblade and the Cameo. The only programs that currently work with the Cricut are Cricut Design Studio (which requires physical cartridges) and Cricut Craft Room (which requires physical cartridges or the digital purchase of cartridge content).

ozmagi
ozmagi 
Governor
ozmagi
In response to aquabunny

hi i use sure cuts alot and one cartridge in the mashine . but i use the computer with this programm it works well i love it.i can change so easy the hights and lenghts i love it.and each saturday you got a freebie stunning stuff i got a big backup now to use for so many events
hugs magi

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to ozmagi

• ozmagi Said:
hi i use sure cuts alot and one cartridge in the mashine . but i use the computer with this programm it works well i love it.i can change so easy the hights and lenghts i love it.and each saturday you got a freebie stunning stuff i got a big backup now to use for so many events
hugs magi

Unfortunately, you can no longer buy (a) Cricut machines that are compatible with SCAL and MTC, and (b) copies of SCAL and MTC that are compatible with the Cricut.

The Frey
Tenant
The Frey
In response to aquabunny

True, and that is why is now sucks to buy a Cricut. A decentish machine brought down by corporate greed.

Yay for me that I already own SCAL, bummer for Cricut that when this machine dies I will move on to another company.

If I had missed the SCAL and MTC programs, I would have sold the darn machine at a loss and bought something else.
That would still be cheaper than buying a zillion cartridges. AND... less annoying, since cartridges do not allow me to cut my own designs or have everything I want to print at any given time.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to The Frey

When my cricut dies, I will get a computer based cutter as I've found that I use SCAL way more than cartridges with it.

If you don't want to use/get cartridges, just get a computer based cutter. Yes, they are more upfront but I think you save more in the long run. My cricut is a hand me down so I went with it.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to Seaexplore

I just bought the Silhouette Cameo for $200. So if you shop around, it isn't any more than a Cricut E or E2.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to ChansGram

Yep, Trish. That's why I won't be replacing mine when it dies.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 06-22-12 06:39 AM
In response to Seaexplore

I too will not buy another Cricut. As much as I love mine, I bought SCAL when you could still use it with the Expression. For me, that works now. I actually do not scrap enough to justify a second machine at the moment, so I will continue with my Expression, SCAL & my Big Shot.

If you do not have a Cricut that has not been updated, along with the full version of SCAL from before it was banned from being sold compatible with the Cricut, there is no way to get it anymore.

If I ever get back into paper scrapbooking heavily or if anything happens to my Cricut, I think I will go with a Cameo.

QueenBritt
Resident
QueenBritt
In response to The Frey

• The Frey Said:
True, and that is why is now sucks to buy a Cricut. A decentish machine brought down by corporate greed.

Yay for me that I already own SCAL, bummer for Cricut that when this machine dies I will move on to another company.

If I had missed the SCAL and MTC programs, I would have sold the darn machine at a loss and bought something else.
That would still be cheaper than buying a zillion cartridges. AND... less annoying, since cartridges do not allow me to cut my own designs or have everything I want to print at any given time.

I completely agree with you about their greed. And actually, I don't think their greed has served them very well.

mschiddy
Resident
mschiddy
In response to QueenBritt

It used to be possible to use the Cricut with either Sure Cuts a Lot or Make the Cut software to cut without cartridges. Then Provo Craft sued the software companies. Now you can't buy those software programs for the Cricut.

I would have switched from my Cricut to another company's machine if I couldn't have purchased SCAL back when I did years before the lawsuit. Now, I'll just buy a Silhouette Cameo when my Cricut dies some day. It cuts without cartridges.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics