Username Post: Your best garage/yard sale scrapbooking finds?        (Topic#1577041)
Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

It's been a couple years since I found some really good scrapbooking supplies.

Hoping I got a good deal? Our city wide garage sale was a couple weeks ago and I found a whole bunch of Stampin up stamp pads for .50 cents a piece. So I paid $6.00 for 12 pads 6 were that clam shell style and 6 were that flip style and they all still have plenty of ink in them.

And I found some just rite christmas rubber stamps that i'd never seen before. They were like $2.00 for 2 sets and all the different sized wood mounts that match.

Have you guys found any good stuff lately?

kygirlnfla
Mayor
kygirlnfla
In response to Cindyckj

I'm curious about this too. I keep thinking about going garage-saling to see if I can score some good stuff...but I'm such a night-owl all the good stuff would probably be gone by the time I got out and about.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to kygirlnfla

Here in central Il garage/yard sales have gone from Saturday and sunday mornings to being friday nights and saturday mornings.

A couple years ago I hit one garage sale and spent at least $50.00 I ended up with 5 unused k & Co 12x12 paper pads and prima flowers, 2 unsued boxes of zots a border punch and zig pens and tons of other stuf and some huge pieces of fleece for blankets.

I didn't know till later till a friend told me that the two ladies putting on the yard sale was becaue their mother had passed away and she was a big crafter and a bit of a hoarder. They had the whole garage and driveway full with tables and under the tables with scrapbooking stuff and some sewing stuff as well. I went back twice to that garage sale. Cause i'd get home and think about something I saw and had to go back for it! lol

Babylou
Diva
Babylou
In response to Cindyckj

Never see scrapbook stuff at garage sales around here. But, my LSS has a scrapbook/craft garage sale once a year. Last year I got a Xyron X with a full roll of adhesive for $1! Awesome deal.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Babylou

My husband like to go garage saling and my son goes with him. If he sees the depression glass we collect or any scrapbooking supplies he calls me but its never been anything I wanted.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Babylou

I don't often find stuff, and ever since I found a 24-shelf rolling paper rack for $5 (sells in stores for $50-$60) I haven't looked as hard because I don't think I could ever do better than that.

But sometimes I seek out sales that specifically mention having scrappy stuff, and I've gotten a few stamps and some nice paper that way. One time I also found a several-years-old kit that contained some journaling embellishments I'd bought and loved and used up years earlier, so finding extras of them (50c for the whole box!) was great.

These days, I yard sale a lot less (I don't need so much junk!), but I do love the scrapbook garage sales held quarterly by the local scrapbook store.

Edited by aquabunny on 05-30-12 05:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to Cindyckj

Oh my....as the resident thrift store/mission/yard sale junkie, I have to say Ive found some amazing actual scrapbook deals, and things you wouldnt think to use for scrapbooking.....

Paper packs, CM 4x6 mats, glue runners, Primas, stickers, stamps, ink pads, punches, bingo cards,cigar boxes, jars to hold stuff in, a paper trimmer, jars of buttons, yards and yards of vintage lace,and just today hit the local mission and found 30 TH Distress ink pads in a box for $2.......22 of them work, and the others need re-inking. There has been albums, embroidery hoops, page protctors, project books, old dictionaries, old elem school primers, cricut carts, journaling templates.......

Next time you're wanting to narrow your yard sale-ing to those with scrapbook stuff....go to Craigslist, and search yard sale scrapbooking. Most ppl who have that stuff to sell are smart enuf to list it. And get there early.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ScrappyMama6

My husband even has the yard sale app on his iPhone - I think it feeds from Craig's list.

charK
charK 
Mayor
charK
  • charK on 05-30-12 07:37 PM
In response to Henri Jean

HENRI what kind of depression glass do you collect?? I am a lover of depression glass and have many patterns and pieces.

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to Cindyckj

• Cindyckj Said:
Here in central Il garage/yard sales have gone from Saturday and sunday mornings to being friday nights and saturday mornings.

I am in central IL too! Where are you? I just found a garage sale w/scrapbooking stuff that starts on Thursday (and runs through Sat.)

Sharon Leigh
Veteran
Sharon Leigh
In response to crazycricut

I once got a brand new unopened Cricut Cartridge for $5.00. It takes hitting ALOT of sales to find anything scrapbooking though.

Guru
In response to Sharon Leigh

Around here I have found that at garage sales people want too much money so I have quit going to them. They usually want to sell it close to what I can find it at retail. At that point I would rather buy it new and get the warranty.

I have found one local consignment store here that I can usually get awesome deals on stuff. Like they have $30 Stamping Up sets for under $10. At a garage sale the same sets would be $25 or even $30.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Cindyckj

Very seldom do I find scrapping stuff at garage sales around here. I have better luck at the Good Will store.

I recently found the item link below at my GW for $3.99.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

• crazycricut Said:
  • Cindyckj Said:

I am in central IL too! Where are you? I just found a garage sale w/scrapbooking stuff that starts on Thursday (and runs through Sat.)

I am just north of springfield Where are you? lol

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to Sunnydi

• Sunnydi Said:
Very seldom do I find scrapping stuff at garage sales around here. I have better luck at the Good Will store.

Yeah, sometimes I find neat stuff at the Goodwill - a couple rubber stamps and some off-beat storage stuff, but my best find was the package of 10 12"x12" hanging folders. I don't have anything of the right size to hang them IN, but my wire cube shelves let them hang well enough.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to aquabunny

I have tons and tons of American Fostoria. Service with everything for 16 plus two different sizes in pedistal punchbowls and I don't know how many salad bowls and other things. My mantel is lined with American Fostoria flower vases. Someday I will inventory what we have but to be honest, I don't know what some of the pieces are. Recently Bill bought me the large wedding bowl with cover.

We really use it a lot. Its pretty on display but we use it too.

He also just bought me the small soup bowl with handles - I never knew that one existed.

Which depression do you collect Charlene? I'm particulary fond of the ruby red but have never bought any pieces in it.

My best friend collects Heisey Orchid and I buy a lot of that for her too.

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to Cindyckj

• Cindyckj Said:
  • crazycricut Said:
  • Cindyckj Said:

I am in the Champaign - Urbana area, so we are still a couple hours apart

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

• crazycricut Said:
  • Cindyckj Said:
  • crazycricut Said:
  • Cindyckj Said:

I am in the Champaign - Urbana area, so we are still a couple hours apart

Figures. lol Have you been to the paper boutique in springfield yet? The owner is so very nice!!! Think it opend about this time last year.

crazycricut
Guru
crazycricut
In response to Cindyckj

No, I haven't. I have looked into to LSS's in Springfield but the ones I found on the internet had already closed. I used to go through there all time as my daughter went to school in Jacksonville but she just graduated earlier this month so I don't have much excuse to go there anymore.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

This new one is the only lss we have now. Even both our J's have closed so we just have the new lss and m's and hl.

they have lots of fun classes and crops too but definately a little far for you to go. It's at least a half hour for me to get to any of those. lol

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Cindyckj

The only time I find scrapbooking stuff at garage sales is when my LSS has its annual sale! (Coming up, by the way! Woohoo!)

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to dwelch

I've never been to a garage sale. It's not such a big thing where I live, although I could definitely hold one right now - we have too much stuff!

My big worry would be whether the sellers had cats. Both DH and I are just so allergic to cats that we wouldn't be able to have anything in the house that had previously belonged to a cat owner. That sucks.

MsBree
MsBree 
Tenant
MsBree
In response to RedSquirrel

I went for a walk one day and found there was a block garage sale going on - came across a lady who had owned a scrap booking store and closed it down - I was in BARGAIN heaven! My best find in there and one I use constantly was a corner cutter.

dlanvinson
Resident
dlanvinson
In response to MsBree

I never seem to be able to find scrapbook stuff at garage sales. I find a lot at thrift stores.

I've even had to start being very picky about what I buy there because I have so much. But if it's really cheap, I buy it anyway for my nieces to play with.

Twice a year our thrift stores have a $4 bag sale and I find a lot of cool buttons/ribbon/embellies on clothing that I strip off and use on layouts.

I LOVE going to thrift stores because you never know What you are going to find.

mollydog
Veteran
mollydog
In response to Cindyckj

Hi! I live in Springfield and yes both Js closed only to make way for a new bigger and better. It is in the old circuit city. It is really nice has has some much more crafting stuff than the old ones. Check it out. It is too bad about about scrapbook your story. I liked that store.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to mollydog

• mollydog Said:
Hi! I live in Springfield and yes both Js closed only to make way for a new bigger and better. It is in the old circuit city. It is really nice has has some much more crafting stuff than the old ones. Check it out. It is too bad about about scrapbook your story. I liked that store.

Oh heck I thought the old circuit city was a car dealer. lol

Being a bit north of springfield scrapbook your story was about a 45 min drive it seemed and it just seemed like they always had the same old stuff. One time I asked on one of her fb posts about getting something and got my head bit off by the owner so I never went back. I was pretty upset over that. But i'm absolutely loving the new store and their customer service is awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

Thanks for the heads up on the new J's I'll have to go check it out

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics