Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: letter placing        (Topic#1577043)
New Kid On the Block

I'm having probs with letter placing & find it quite hard can anyone give me pointers or ideas of how to center it on the page. suggestions are welcome

Edited by leahross on 05-30-12 02:56 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to leahross

I can eyeball it and get it pretty close. On those occasions when I am noticeably off-center, I add some stickers, bling, or some other kind of art to the side with the most space. Put it at an angle. Then, you can also add smaller stickers, bling, etc to the other side, but often you will not have to. You will learn how to cover your small mistakes.

I am going to look in my gallery and find an example for you.

Kim

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to jaspernonyx

Hello, Leah:

This is an example of a LO of mine where the letters are not centered. If you look, you can see that for the word "grandma" at the top, I have more room on the right hand side. I put some buttons there, diagonally, and I balanced it on the other side with the butterfly placed at an angle. I don't think it's noticeable that my letters are not perfectly centered.

Hope that helps. Like I said, you will learn how to cover your boo-boos.

Welcome to SB.com!
Kim
grandma and the outcast hat By Jaspernonyx

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

Get a centering ruler! Love mine. The 0 is in the middle so you can line stuff up easier. I stick the very edge of my letters to the ruler and then when they're where I want, I push the tops down and remove the ruler from the bottoms then push those down.

I linked a few from the store here. I found mine at J's in the quilting section.

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 05-30-12 05:07 PM
In response to Seaexplore

Centering rulers are fantastic! However, I try not to center things very much because the eye will detect the smallest flaws, and I know I'm very flawed when it comes to measureing and precision! I try to do asymmetrical whenever possible.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to stick

I love my clear ruler from Fiskars! I use it the same way Tiffany does.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to stick

I am bad at measuring, too. Tried to use a ruler once, and my hand kept moving it as I tried to do stuff. That is why I eyeball stuff now.

Kim

mrsdriver5
Diva
mrsdriver5

• jaspernonyx Said:
I am bad at measuring, too. Tried to use a ruler once, and my hand kept moving it as I tried to do stuff. That is why I eyeball stuff now.

Kim

In my recent J's order I bought a magnetic cutting mat. Hopefully it solves the problem of MRS (Moving Ruler Syndrome). I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but playing around with it, it looks like it will be a big help. It had better help or I'm going to have to grow a third hand.

Edited by mrsdriver5 on 05-30-12 09:37 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to mrsdriver5

I have accepted the fact that I am "not centered" so I plan to be asymetrical or put letters in a curved line. That helps me accept the fact that I can't center perfectly. The best tip someone gave me is to figure out what letter is in the middle of the word... then place it in the middle of the line. Place one letter to the left, one to the right, etc. until you have all the letters placed.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Great info, Mrs. Driver! And, thanks for the tip, Pinkpaperairedale! I think that even I can do that!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12

you can use a ruler to faintly draw guidelines. then erase them when you are done. i do that a lot.

or use post it notes for a guideline.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Lamoo12

I don't do any of that stuff - tried, and was rubbish at it. Now I just pick the middle letter in the word and stick that on in the centre of the space I have. The other letters get placed lightly around it (left first, then right, then left etc.) until I'm happy with the placement. Then I stick them down properly.

Or, you can stick each of your alphas onto mats. Then you can move them around until you're happy with the positioning before you stick them permanently. Good luck!

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to RedSquirrel UK

Oh, I love the idea with the Post-its. I use my clear Fiskars ruler, but it can get unwieldy.

Sometimes I work from the center letter outwards, but mostly only as a guideline - almost every font I've used has, for example, wide Ms and Ws, but narrow Is. More usually, with stickers, I stick them on the edge of a leftover empty sticker sheet and measure them to see where the center is, and work from there, instead of guessing that it's the center letter. Helps with letters of different widths and also with spaces between words. With die-cut letters I just lay them on the ruler and estimate.

suezhunt
Pro
suezhunt
In response to leahross

I also use a clear ruler. I place just the bottom portion of the sticker right on the ruler and then move it around on the page until they are right where I want them. Then I press down on the top part of the stickers and gently pull the ruler off the bottom.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to suezhunt

I've never had success with pressing down the top part and pulling the ruler out.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to aquabunny

I have the both titletopias from Creative Memories. They help you place letters straight, sideways,upside down, wavy like a banner,circle or spiral. When I place my letteres on the template, I can tell exactly how much room I need for the word and can easily center.

You also can place your letters on a ruler edge or piece of sticker paper to line up then lift.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to wilbur

People keep saying this, but I've never had success with it. How do people actually get the "press down the top and lift out the ruler" thing to work?

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to aquabunny

Press the letters down really well and then remove the ruler from each letter individually by peeling the lIttle bit that's stuck to it off. Once all the letters are free, slide the ruler out and press the rest of the letter down. Easy peasy.

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet
In response to Seaexplore

I second pinkpaperairedale on this - I find the center point and start spelling from the middle out.

Also, if the word needs to end by a certain point, start spelling from the end and go backwards to get the right fit.

Most importantly, no one looking at your pages is going to see imperfection, they are going to see an artistic choice.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to scrapsweet

I am an "embrace the asymmetry" kind of person

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics